JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Con Sets On E-Bay  (Read 62763 times)

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Con Sets On E-Bay
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »

Quote from: "master_stanley"
Also having a more affordable set would help the dealer room most of us did poorly because people said they where broke from the set and the later batch that came in said the atm broke so many of us had to sell things below cost to move stuff.

That was my only problem with the hotel's services.  You know you're having a convention where a crap ton of sales are going down, and you don't keep your atm stocked?  That ATM ran out of money a little after noon.  If someone really wanted to get money there was a bank across the street (which I did, since I'm a degenerate who can't control his joe spending), but it was inconvenient enough that some people probably just stopped for the day.  So I feel your pain a little bit as a dealer. 
It'd be really nice if next year we could get an ATM right next to the show room fully stocked, so the temptation to spend more is just too great....just as long as my wife isn't with to stop me :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »

that does suck, if Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 has taught us anything you need ATMs to keep your customers spending
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

xhairs

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/XHAIRS_photos/
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »

Quote from: "roshan"
Also having a more affordable set would help the dealer room most of us did poorly because people said they where broke from the set and the later batch that came in said the atm broke so many of us had to sell things below cost to move stuff.

That was my only problem with the hotel's services.  You know you're having a convention where a crap ton of sales are going down, and you don't keep your atm stocked?  That ATM ran out of money a little after noon.  If someone really wanted to get money there was a bank across the street (which I did, since I'm a degenerate who can't control his joe spending), but it was inconvenient enough that some people probably just stopped for the day.  So I feel your pain a little bit as a dealer.  
It'd be really nice if next year we could get an ATM right next to the show room fully stocked, so the temptation to spend more is just too great....just as long as my wife isn't with to stop me :D

yes the atm thing did hurt alot of the dealers i did hear ppl say well i dont have cash and get get any out so i had to pass on this or that. now thats not the staffs fault that was the hotels. and like neo said the 100 was fine no probs we got our bands and we left to do what ever as norm since last yr. the 50 thing is what got under ppls skin but that was cuse of one fam.not a bunch of ppl not related cutting or anything like that. or what i saw in my spot.

i was in line and i stepped out so someone else could have one and i was in the under 40 line. i left to go to the bathroom and had a bud who kept my spot safe. so not sure if that had ppl confused too as this one lady did 2 head counts 1 before bands and a 2nd one when ppl got them.

you cant expect ppl lined up for x amount of hrs not to take a bathroom break so thats why you had ppl hold your spot. that fam took a few spots that wasnt theres.  the 100 line up did fine so they dont need to change that at all. it worked great this yr the 50 line up didnt so you live you learn and you fix it thats all anyone can do.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:07:17 PM by xhairs »
CUSTOM TOYS ARE THE BEST TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
ORING, CLASSIC & RESOLUTE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »

No Joe Con staff should have to watch the line early like 1 am because people don't listen .
Which is why I'm volunteering to take pictures of the line for next year if there's a need for the early bird.  They have enough on their plates to worry about. 

I think a volunteer would be a great idea.  And to put my money where my mouth is, I would also volunteer to do this next year.
Lurking

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »

Quote from: "canprime"
Great work again Mike (and crew).

As others have said, there will always be people trying to circumvent the system no matter what.  Much like technology, all you can do is keep trying to come up with ways to hinder the trouble makers.

As for the line, I do have a suggestion.  I know you guys bust your humps for this event and I don't want you thinking I am criticizing/bashing.  

That said I really think you need to put someone on the line right away.  I know, I know, you guys have a ton to do, but it seems clear that someone assoicated with the con should be monitoring the line from the beginning.  Whether that is Midnight, or 1am.  They can hand out numbers/wristbands and take information on the people in line.  They can answer questions and make sure everyone in line understands what is required and expected.  They can enforce the "be in line" policy and stop people from cutting.  Then near the opening hour, double check everyone's number and placement in line.  Honestly, from my previous experience with managing events the single most effective solution to line ups is an informed/authorized representative who can problem solve.  Leaving a line to it's own devices for too long usually leads to trouble.  Of course nothing is bulletproof and there is usually some unforseen problem that arises.

Personally I love the sets that include a vehicle.  I'm not keen on figure only sets.  I would be fine with a single figure/vehicle set if it drops the price and you can get more sets made.  However there is no number big enough to keep scalpers away that is reasonable.  It becomes a question of how much work you want to put into the set versus the "value" (intrinsic or otherwise).

No Joe Con staff should have to watch the line early like 1 am because people don't listen .

Bull.

This is their big event of the year.  It sucks, but someone with authority should be watching/available.  It is one time a year and should be expected.  Sorry but a "volunteer" (not one of the 7-8 regulars) won't work unless they have the authority to make decisions and crowd control.  Roshan is a nice guy, but if someone confronted him, or he claimed something that someone else claimed the opposite what happens?  He doesn't have authority to speak for Mike. 

It hurts the site and the convention when something happens that people in line "perceive" as unjust or poorly organized.

I run my own business and, again, I am not trying to put down Mike and the rest of the guys.  They did a great job this year again.  Let me repeat that so it is clear.  Mike and the crew did another great job this year.  I know that unfortunately when it comes down to the final 24-48 hours you sometimes sacrifice yourself.  I have no doubt Mike and the rest of the guys did exactly that.  I can't know all the stuff they had to do before opening at 9am. I worked straight from Saturday 10pm to Monday 12pm during the G20.  I sure didn't want to, but it had to be done to get the service done right.

If the set issues this year need to be corrected I trust Mike to do what is best with his experience.  My suggestion was just that, a suggestion, but again to have a line up unsupervised and then just go with the "line up at your own risk" leaves things open to problems like this year.

Sorry for sounding negative, but I have had too much experience dealing with people in lines for events and it sometimes clouds my view.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »

This is their big event of the year.  It sucks, but someone with authority should be watching/available.  It is one time a year and should be expected.  Sorry but a "volunteer" (not one of the 7-8 regulars) won't work unless they have the authority to make decisions and crowd control.  Roshan is a nice guy, but if someone confronted him, or he claimed something that someone else claimed the opposite what happens?  He doesn't have authority to speak for Mike. 

There's no real authority needed.  If someone takes a picture of the line every half an hour, no one can cry line cutter.  There is photo evidence every step of the way.  If somebody in line has a problem, they can check the photos and see whether or not someone cut.  There really does not need to be one of the con staff standing in line.  Those guys are beat down tired from a full day of work already and another full day yet to come. 

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2010, 09:17:17 PM »

There's no real authority needed.  If someone takes a picture of the line every half an hour, no one can cry line cutter.  There is photo evidence every step of the way.  If somebody in line has a problem, they can check the photos and see whether or not someone cut.  There really does not need to be one of the con staff standing in line.  Those guys are beat down tired from a full day of work already and another full day yet to come. 

Hey Roshan,

It was just a suggestion, and for a single, smaller event like the convention it isn't a big deal.  Most of us are fans and familiar with each other.

However if something does happen like this year, it only takes one "confrontational" person to really cause a problem.  You don't represent the organization and as such can't speak for them.  If they confront you and ask you did you pay attention all night?  You only took photos once every 1/2 hour?  Was everyone in line in the same spot when you took photos?  I know i left my bag in one spot and hung with you guys most of the time.  To someone farther back in line it might look like I was cutting.  See where I'm going with this?  I spent years dealing with those kinds of people at bigger events.  Good intentions are great on your part but nothing beats an authorized contact.

Again my suggestion was someone taking names, information and giving out numbers in order while providing reminders about what is required/expected to help.  Others suggested increasing the number of sets, alternative registration, or other ideas.

They are all good and most are probably better than mine.  I just went with something to deal iwth the line rather than the number of sets, scalpers, etc.

Editor

• View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »

2 quick bits from someone who has been involved with running conventions for 10+ years.

Lines and authority:
If the line is just one that starts by someone parking themselves down, and others "line up" behind them, then there is nothing that should be expected, and the only rules are those of common-sense. I'm sorry to say but it that case then the convention is under zero obligation to be concerned about what happens, or how long some have been there.

However, If the line is an official one, then it needs to be staffed by someone in a position of authority, who needs to be there the entire time. It is their responsibility to police said line to ensure no cuts/spot holding (not including someone needing a bathroom brake) are made.

While I know that this convention is only a handful of guys, but it is not an excuse. this week-end coming up I am running a convention that "starts" about 9am Friday to 5pm Sunday. I plan to be on site about 10am Thursday to who knows when Monday morning. While I am not "on duty" that entire time, and I have almost 400 staffers working, I am active almost the entire time making sure that the convention is giving the best experience possible within my capacity. If I have 3 hours of sleep each night I'll be surprised.

ATM:
I have seen more empty ATM's during conventions then I can remember. Sadly no matter how much preparation an event provides to a facility, unless that facility has previously hosted an event of that type, they are never prepared.

One convention I have worked with in Seattle used the same hotel complex (a half-mile from SeaTac International) for 6 years in a row. Despite the convention warning the local businesses, the first year within 12 hours of the official opening of the convention (the day before the busiest day of the con) the ATM's of all three hotels were empty, the 7-11 between two of the hotels was ravaged of it's ATM, snack foods, soft/energy/alcoholic drinks and such, and three restaurants were under-prepared for the onslaught of customers at all hours.

With the exception of a Denny's (who bothered to take notice bringing in extra staff and materials) the same situation repeated for 2 more years before they clued in.

The best case you can do, is figure out what your maximum spending limit is, and bring that plus 25-50% more "Just in case" so you aren't dependent on those machines.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2010, 09:54:53 PM »

I'm still reading post, but I will write something before I loose my idea... 100 sets is the perfect number IMO. Last year, even if the H.A.T.E. tank was awesome, there was still a set available at 9:00 am. This year, even if the con was held in TO (a larger city) sets were available until 8h30 or so. Increasing the number will only create leftover and the need for Mike to manage them (like the Master Club who still manage older stock). So don't get confused between the set (limited to 100) and the SNAKE limited to 50.

As for the set itself, Mike had great ideas in the past, and I'm sure will have great ideas in the future. When I read people would prefer a 2-fig set, what I read is MOTH from de MC... I saw those selling for $20 (and even less) at the con... I'm not sure that is what we want. The sets like what we did the 2 last year were perfect. Nice box, nice story, great vehicle/fig. Mike can't filled all needs at once. So with many years in front of us, I can see many great set coming.

I think the main question is: Why those exclusive sets are made? If the answer is "to give fans the joy of collecting"... then scalpers will always be there. If the main problem become some scalpers, then the only way to eliminate them is to eliminate the sets. But I think we will be missing the target.

No matter what control you can put in place there will always be loophole. But, at the end, it means other GI Joe fans will get their sets without the need of attempding. Like myself for the US con set. I never went to an US con, but I got the 2002 Crimson set, the 2003 Lady Jaye and Falcon, the 2007 female troopers, the 2008 Bats, Low-Light and Shockblast, 2010 Gaucho, Red Shadow troopers and Flamethrowers. Did I pay more than original cost. Yes. That is life. But I avoided the plane ticket, hotel room, entry ticket, etc. after all, I saved money... to spend more at the Canadian con.

When someone is in the line, has ID with pic, pay his set, no one can tell him not to sell it. We don't know all the story behind each people.

I had a great time, spent a lot with dealer, made trades, got my set and hoping that next year I will have as much fun that I had this year.

Martin

spiderpumpkin

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »

Over on ebay another SNAKE has appeared.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »

That said I really think you need to put someone on the line right away.  I know, I know, you guys have a ton to do, but it seems clear that someone assoicated with the con should be monitoring the line from the beginning.  Whether that is Midnight, or 1am.  They can hand out numbers/wristbands and take information on the people in line.

Midnight/1 AM is hindsight.  Nobody expected people to line up that early.  

And as a volunteer, your shitting me if you expect me to play line cop duty at that time and expect to stand up for the rest of the day and then go to the Taste of the Danforth.  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:14:20 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »

Quote from: "spiderpumpkin"
Over on ebay another SNAKE has appeared.

saw the listing...if he wants to sell it fine, but can the jagoff at least get all the details right?
Wherever you go, there you are.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18