JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Con Sets On E-Bay  (Read 53878 times)

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Con Sets On E-Bay
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »

Last night 2 con sets were listed, along with a set from the 2009 Can Joe Con.  I don't expect everyone to keep their set as I plan to do with mine, but still, I'm disgusted by the idea that somone stood in line for hours just to get a set and then flip it mere hours later.  I know it happens all the time, and it's one of the pitfalls when a small intimate gathering of friends at a "Joe Meet" grows to "Convenion Size", but knowing how much time, effort and passion the CJC crew puts in to these things, it still pisses me off.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Wherever you go, there you are.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Con Sets On E-Bay
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »

What can you do?! I saw a dealer that had 10 "friends" in line that all got CON sets.  I'm sure they will be on eBay any time now. I guess the only way to stop this is to increase the supply (I know it will be alot more work) this will decrease the demand and people will actually keep their sets and "Scalpers" will not buy them to flip as they will be stuck with them. As if you can see now the demand for the 2009 CON set has decreased as people are not willing to drop over $500 for it now. 
Lurking

bron

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »

If you read my post in the feedback thread, you'll know that I'm not involved in this community at all. There were some sets left when I got into the convention, and I half played with the idea of buying one just to store away. But I didn't because I felt like it belonged to someone that truly treasured it. Sadly this will always happen as the price of the set itself is far cheaper than a plane ticket. :/

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »

In a case like the FunPub Joecon/Botcon sets, I honestly expect stuff to be on auction sites immediately. I also expect FP knows this will happen anyways which is why they produce extra sets for purchase.

In this case however, due to the smaller runs and the more personal nature of the convention the practice just seems off. I can understand selling your sets if you are in a money situation. But going thru the entire process just to turn it around immediately, I couldn't do it.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

fairplaythings

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
What can you do?! I saw a dealer that had 10 "friends" in line that all got CON sets.  I'm sure they will be on eBay any time now. I guess the only way to stop this is to increase the supply (I know it will be alot more work) this will decrease the demand and people will actually keep their sets and "Scalpers" will not buy them to flip as they will be stuck with them. As if you can see now the demand for the 2009 CON set has decreased as people are not willing to drop over $500 for it now. 

There's not a lot one can do, particularly when they have "friends" willing to endulge them. I know I've sold extra exclusives I've picked up over the years, so I don't begrudge someone getting a second or even a third to do so. But ten? That's obscene. :cobra:

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »

There was one dealer that took clear advantage of the "one per household" rule.
They found a loop-hole, and we have a year to correct that loophole, or find another solution.

Unfortunately, that dealer did end up with 10 or 11 convention sets via having family members attend.
There's nothing we could of done at the time as they acquired them by legit means, and did wait in line.

That dealer will not be permitted to set up again at the Canadian Joe Convention.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
There was one dealer that took clear advantage of the "one per household" rule.
They found a loop-hole, and we have a year to correct that loophole, or find another solution.

Unfortunately, that dealer did end up with 10 or 11 convention sets via having family members attend.
There's nothing we could of done at the time as they acquired them by legit means, and did wait in line.

That dealer will not be permitted to set up again at the Canadian Joe Convention.

Are you talking about that guy who brought his grandmother into the con?  I thought they only were able to pick up one or two sets, not the 10 they were waiting for.  That really blows.   A solution I was thinking of to the one per household rule, is to extend it to one per family and/or per household.  Now there are some people who are brothers father/son, etc who would be hurt by this, but there could be a special exclusion if you can show you both were active members of the forum but you were still family, you could each buy a set.  It complicates things, but honestly, there couldn't be more than 1 or 2 people who would even be able to utilize this loophole, and you could make it that they had to ask for the exemption on the site before they showed up so you wouldn't have to deal with verifying people in line.

As far as people who attend the show and then immediately sell their personal set.  I don't have a problem with this.  If you want to go to a GI Joe convention either in Canada or the US and cannot afford it, I don't see what is wrong with selling your set in order to pay for your trip.  There is one friend in particular I know who got helped him pay his way in exchange for getting the con set.  I'd rather have these people show up and be able to have the option to do with their con sets as they see fit.  Some Joe fans aren't even toy collectors.  There was three comic book guests and a cartoon guest.  There could easily have been some fans who went to see those guys and picked up the set to help pay the way. 

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »

Quote from: "roshan"
Are you talking about that guy who brought his grandmother into the con?  I thought they only were able to pick up one or two sets, not the 10 they were waiting for.  That really blows.   A solution I was thinking of to the one per household rule, is to extend it to one per family and/or per household.  Now there are some people who are brothers father/son, etc who would be hurt by this, but there could be a special exclusion if you can show you both were active members of the forum but you were still family, you could each buy a set.  It complicates things, but honestly, there couldn't be more than 1 or 2 people who would even be able to utilize this loophole, and you could make it that they had to ask for the exemption on the site before they showed up so you wouldn't have to deal with verifying people in line.

Too much work. ALL the people that that got those sets DID get them with different addresses with photo ID. It just happens that a family owns a large business building with a dollar store in the bottom of it and apartments above. Each apartment IS a valid address - even if it's obvious to me what is going on - they are still within the guidelines, and thus, get a set. (And yes, the people in question did have the same address - with unit #'s on the ID. I google-earthed them and saw the building).

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"

Too much work.

As I was typing it up, I was getting the same feeling myself.  I just can't think of anything else that would stop the issue.  Last year it wasn't as much of a problem due to wrist bands still being available after 7 am.  But this year when the dealer's action kept multiple people from being able to get the SNAKE Armor, it's especially douche of him to do it. 

Joeczar

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »

Wow, what kind of a guy would drag his grandma out of bed in the middle of the night and make her stand in line?  Takes all kinds, I guess.  :-  That's too bad more collectors didn't have a chance to get one of those SNAKES, I would have hated to have been #51.

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »

I don't see a problem selling the set (especially if your in need of money like a few on here have been) but what that guy did was pretty damn low. Good to hear he won't be allowed back. Wish something could be done for those that were lined up honestly tho  :'(

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »

Quote from: "Joeczar"
Wow, what kind of a guy would drag his grandma out of bed in the middle of the night and make her stand in line?  Takes all kinds, I guess.  :-  That's too bad more collectors didn't have a chance to get one of those SNAKES, I would have hated to have been #51.
I was Number 53 because of this guy... the 2 guys from Montreal that were in front of me were not that happy either...  >:(
Lurking