JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Con Sets On E-Bay  (Read 53953 times)

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Con Sets On E-Bay
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I was Number 53 because of this guy... the 2 guys from Montreal that were in front of me were not that happy either...  >:(

I don't blame them, I would have a hard time being civil about that if I came that far to be screwed by that guy's antics.  Can it be announced who this guy's ebay name is or user name, so we can know to avoid their auctions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »

Nothing can be gained by revealing who the dealer in question is.
It happened, it sucks, but it's done.

We're already planning for next years items. How would you guys feel about a two-figure set, with a run of 500 sets?

It would be cheaper (Around $40-$50.00), but would solve these pricks from hoarding con sets as we would still enforce a "one per person" rule. Even if they did get 10, that's a very small percentage overall.

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »

That sounds good but at the same time a little like "the honest ones lose out cuz of the greedy fews actions", if you know what I mean.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »

I'm sure everyone has an idea on how to stop people from scalping the CON sets and Mike has heard them all but I really do think this may be a potentional idea:
Make one of the figures in the CON set a Mail-Away.  A post card to mail in for the missing figure will be in the box or hand it out when they pick it up.  The key to make this is work is for people wait a long time before they get it like 10 to 12 weeks (3 months).  Only true fans will be willing to wait and scalpers would not buy so many sets just to hold waiting for the missing figure before they make it complete.  

I know you are going to say they will sell it and tell them to mail in the request.  Solution: make people fill it out at the line up when they pick up the CON set...
Lurking

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

I'm sure everyone has an idea on how to stop people from scalping the CON sets and Mike has heard them all but I really do think this may be a potentional idea:
Make one of the figures in the CON set a Mail-Away.  A post card to mail in for the missing figure will be in the box or hand it out when they pick it up.  The key to make this is work is for people wait a long time before they get it like 10 to 12 weeks (3 months).  Only true fans will be willing to wait and scalpers would not buy so many sets just to hold waiting for the missing figure before they make it complete.  

I know you are going to say they will sell it and tell them to mail in the request.  Solution: make people fill it out at the line up when they pick up the CON set...

That is sort of what was done with Snowbank - you had a chance at a limited amount of them before had during a specified window of time before the con.  A sort of limiterd pre-order.  I was very fortuante to get one, but people will always complain.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"

We're already planning for next years items. How would you guys feel about a two-figure set, with a run of 500 sets?

It would be cheaper (Around $40-$50.00), but would solve these pricks from hoarding con sets as we would still enforce a "one per person" rule. Even if they did get 10, that's a very small percentage overall.

I dunno I like the big con sets.  I wouldn't want you guys to go backwards on the set sizes.  But don't like to see people unable to get con sets though if they show up though.  Then again, if you get 500 sets at $50 and they don't all sell out, isn't that going to hurt making money to cover the figures? 

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 06:24:13 PM »

Quote from: "roshan"
Quote from: "THE Mike™"

I dunno I like the big con sets.  I wouldn't want you guys to go backwards on the set sizes.  But don't like to see people unable to get con sets though if they show up though.  Then again, if you get 500 sets at $50 and they don't all sell out, isn't that going to hurt making money to cover the figures? 

There is aways people that would want more then one set so i'm sure they would all sell out
Lurking

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »

There is aways people that would want more then one set so i'm sure they would all sell out

This is true, if he had a two pack of the Ice Guard and Hailstorm Pilot I probably would have army built 5 of em at least.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »

I think a smaller set with larger runs would solve everything Mike, as cool as it is to get something rare like the 1 of 100 set, I see way too much anger and angst as well as headache from everyone to make the exclusives worth while to run (I know Im going to get a ton of hate for this).  I was  high 30s in line and the people behind me were showing a lot of hate that made me shake my head, yes they should and have every right to be mad but honestly making such a limited set as cool as it is, was bringing out the worst in the community and I saw it in person. Personally Id rather see everyone get something small as a souvenir of the con rather then people are eying the set as something worth a lot of money.  I mean if I brought my niece and nephew next year I would absolutely love if they could each get a cool single figure exclusive with a run of 500-1000 or more (would be easier to produce as well), and an exclusive Joecanuck comic, where the majority of people got it.  No one would be fighting, no one would be lining up extra early and worrying all night (and wouldn't wander the con as a zombie from lack of sleep), we could just come to the con and enjoy, and you don't have to worry so much that people will be fighting because the figure wont be worth 500+ dollars but still be much enjoyed and collected by the actual GI Joe and Canadian Joe fans.  Please dont hate me for saying that  :shifty: I know everyone still wants a cool 100 limited set, I would too but I would be just as happy with a small set with a large run.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »

I know people might think having a smaller set is a step back but I think making it more available is a step forward for what it is, I mean look at the all the hate that went around in SDCC for the slaughters...  You want the kids and attendees to get something cool to remember the con with.  With the influx of younger kids it started me thinking of when I have kids and my niece and nephew how much joy they would get getting an exclusive figure to play with.  Collectors should be happy too because they can get a cool looking figure to add to the Joecanuck lore.  And possibly even higher standards to the figure.  If for instance the SNAKE armor set was offered to 1000 sets (I dont know the economics) I think the majority of collectors and fans and kids would be happy.  Maybe Im too optimistic about that I dunno  :-
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
I know people might think having a smaller set is a step back but I think making it more available is a step forward for what it is, I mean look at the all the hate that went around in SDCC for the slaughters...  You want the kids and attendees to get something cool to remember the con with.  With the influx of younger kids it started me thinking of when I have kids and my niece and nephew how much joy they would get getting an exclusive figure to play with.  Collectors should be happy too because they can get a cool looking figure to add to the Joecanuck lore.  And possibly even higher standards to the figure.  If for instance the SNAKE armor set was offered to 1000 sets (I dont know the economics) I think the majority of collectors and fans and kids would be happy.  Maybe Im too optimistic about that I dunno  :-

Making them a higher run wouldn't make me like these figures any less.  If 1000 of those SNAKE armor's were made yesterday the only difference is I would have more of them :)  I much prefer a larger set, but if less figures higher produced makes for less con angst, then I'm all for it.  But don't knock the early morning lineups, I have a blast at those :)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »

Well, I can honestly say I haven't heard that one.

But I can also honestly say "No way in hell".

All this would do is double-pad the wallets of the guys that scalped the con sets.
They, and their friends/relatives, etc would get the figure in 2 months via mail, and then promptly sell it on ebay - WITHOUT the con set.

Scalpers are morons, they're about the money, and thus - don't care if the set is always complete. They'll simply pick up the set, sell it, and when the figure is mailed to them, sell that to someone else.

Anything that acts as a solution HAS to be done at the con and that's it. Period.