JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: current state of Canadian retailer toy market?  (Read 1897 times)

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
current state of Canadian retailer toy market?
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »

Hey guys, I'd like to be in the "know" about what's going on here with our retailers.  Since xmas, the toy movement on the shelves have stood still.  The Indy figure line died and I still don't see a clearance price on these guys, and they're perpetually warming the shelves.

The only new G.I. Joe product we got was the latest Cobra/Joe 5-packs and the hideous VvV-tribute pack.  HISS tanks and Serpentor Air Chariots have baraccaded themselves in the toy aisle and don't plan to give up. 

I understand Hasbro is gearing up with the movie toys, and retailers aren't buying anything more, but c'mon - not even wave 12 or 13?  No Resolute 5-pack? 

And I haven't been following this fantastic toyline for long, but Canada doesn't get DCUC generally?  I've been to TRU, Wal*Mart, Toys Toys Toys and I keep seeing the same junk over and over.  I mean if the things can't sell at normal price, at least put them on clearance to free up some room!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: current state of Canadian retailer toy market?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »

Regarding G.I.Joe, there are 2 problems here in Canada that are directly related to eachother.

1) Stock is sitting on the shelves. New stock (new waves) won't be ordered until existing stock sells
2) When we DO get new stock, it later than the US. That's just a fact of GIJOE in Canada. Trouble is, a lot of collectors have to have it RIGHT AWAY, so by the time it shows up in Canada, they've already ordered from the states (or overseas). See #1 above for the result of that.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »

One word some it up the toy market:  Pathetic.  The price of toys are stupid high right now for a substandard product in return. Cheap plastic and piss poor paint applications to be exact.  I don't remember toys from the 1980s having these quality control issues like what I have seen in the 2000s. 

And to be frank, I have not looked actively for any Joe stuff in Canada since November after the avalanche of product released in the States.  I had to cut out the Canadian carded stuff as I realized this was just pure sucker product.  When I can get the 25th carded singles from the States on American price and a cheaper price, what is even the point of buying the Canadian carded stuff?  There is no incentive to buy from Canadian retailers.   
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »

When singles at Wal-mart were 7.96 I didn't mind buying Canadian versions, at least for army builders and dud characters like Wraith. But you're right. I can go to my comic shop or order online and get American versions of anything I'd find at Wal-mart or TRU and pay less for real card art. I actually got three American BATs for 9.99 each at a London ON comic shop last week. Crazy.