JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Question about a shelf in a smokey home  (Read 2978 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Question about a shelf in a smokey home
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »

Hey guys, I just bought a display case with sliding glass doors for cheap, but it was in a smokey house.  My question is even after cleaning the surface and airing it out with a fan, would any residual smoke potentially damage my toys?  What cleaning products and/or procedures would you recommend
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Propergrounds

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Question about a shelf in a smokey home
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:51:05 PM »

dilluted vinegar.
use in a spray bottle like windex

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »

Leave it outside to "breathe". The wood will have smoke soaked into it.

Arashikage Ninja #333

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »

Figure baking soda and vinegar equal parts should do the job and then glass cleaner on the glass.  There is some type of canister out there as well that some comic guys use for when they buy collections that come from a smokers home but forget waht it was called.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »

Lurking

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:53 AM »

Thanks guys, I spent the last 3 hours (its 3 am now) cleaning it.  I first used a regular cleaner to wipe it all down and get all the major particles, then used the vinegar/water solution, and then lysoled it.  Then I put a fan to "air" it out for the night.  I had to "break" off one of the wood rail for the glass doors so I could remove the glass and clean it (and make the inside more accessible).  Ill be heading to the store tomorrow sometime and pick up an anti-smoke cleaner for one more wash.  You'd be surprised how dirty old furniture can be...everytime I washed it (3 times) piles of dirty and grimy paper towels were piling up.  

So I guess my next question is, if I want to repaint it what process and color would you guys recommend, or should I leave as is?  I never really repainted furniture before (only GI Joes :P ) so am a pretty big noob in this area.  I was thinking black but then its hard to see the figures, so maybe white.  I attached a pic of what I bought (25 bucks), the dresser isn't part of it.

This is turning out to be more work then I anticipated :(  but its kind of fun, almost like customizing a GI Joe.  Its just really hard to find these sliding door cases.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:20:55 AM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Arashikage Ninja #333

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »

Black always fits in but if you do paint it make sure to get some clear coat and do a couple coats of that because just painted wood will eventually fade, scratch and when it gets dusty a pain to clean.  If you want to be fancy maybe do a joe theme of some sort.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »

I have heard about wrapping charcoal in tin foil for catching odours from a hockey sports equipment bag.  Maybe the same technique may work here as carbon filters are used in the remedation business. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67