JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: My fellow joe collectors, i am bored..  (Read 3425 times)

Python

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
My fellow joe collectors, i am bored..
« on: March 11, 2005, 06:19:41 PM »

Question time!

Now if i am not mistaken there is a guy on here that makes custom figures right? question for the custom makers!

1: I am in the process of making a custom beach head, and storm shadow with no mask, when they are finished being painted they will look cool, i am by no means an expert customest though, lol.
anyway, do any of you guys use folkart paint? i get it at walmart, and so far the colors are working great on my customs..

2: I will be starting to do dio's soon, with my own revamped joeverse, not like any other, but here is my question..
I want to make a desert set up, with a gi joe base, a bunch of sand, and custom desert troops! so how, if anyone does it, do you guys make desert set ups? because i can only keep it in my basement(i'm worried about finding bugs in the sand, lol) can someone explain me how they make there desert set ups?

3: I am trying to figure out what to do with my uss flagg, one of the following..

a joe HQ, or a cobra hq(painted black,red,and blue) any ideas?

sorry for all the long questions, i'm bored, lol..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\'m a thief!

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 08:43:50 PM »

I can answer the first question....I've never used Folkart, but I'm sure it's similar to Anita's brand, a brand I have mostly used on my custom figures...the best way to bring your colours out on your figure is to prime your figures before you paint them. It also makes painting the figure so easy....just a few coats and you're done.

Python

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:33:39 PM »

yeah you know what, everybody tells me about primer, i may sound stupid but i have no clue what it is..

does it make the figures sticky? also what brands are there and what type of stores sell it?
\'m a thief!

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 10:16:54 PM »

Primer is a base coat.

You usually spray it on...and only a thin coat is necessary.

This can be in two colors, either black (uncommon) or white (common)...white is perfect for Joes. Black is ok when painting in dark colors or dry brushing only?this type would be used for miniatures like knights in amour and so on.

The problem with primer is that if you are at all impatient you may apply to much and ruin your project. I usually spray it very lightly and in two super thin coats. This allows you a perfect base to paint on. All colors seem more vibrant and adhere a lot better. Before using primer always wash with a mild detergent?if there is anything between the plastic of your Joe and the primer it will most likely flake off?.so take your Joe apart and wash every inch and never touch it with unwashed hands again?the natural oils from your hands can be enough to cause the primer to flake off.

Primer is sold at most good hobby store. If you have never used it before practice on something you do not want?weapons pack accessories or something like that!

I have been painting models and miniatures for many years so all this advice comes at the small cost of my experience?lol?a lot of screws up make you a pretty good artiste?if I new how to post pictures of my work here I would!!! :shifty: