JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Would you, NOW, go for "vintage re-releases ala Star Wars?  (Read 4322 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Would you, NOW, go for "vintage re-releases ala Star Wars?
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »

So we all know Hasbro likes to go back to the same well over and over.  No where is that
more evident than in their Star Wars line.  We also saw how well the 25th line did, especially the figures, with classic packaging.  Even the POC line has done a sort of retro return with vehicles being boxed and us having to assemble them.  Now with Star Wars they are releasing "vintage" packaging for the At-At, Snow Speeder and Tie Fighter.

My question is, would you guys be willing to buy re-releases of 25th vehicles in vintage packaging with "some assembly required?"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
Re: Would you, NOW, go for "vintage re-releases ala Star Wars?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »

If I already have the vehicle, no.  If I'm looking for the vehicle and the re-releasing gives me the opportunity to buy it, sure.  But I'm not going to get something I already have just because the box is different, if that's what you're asking.
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »

I think there were a ton of joe fans (myself included) that only got back into joe collecting because of the 25th.  There's a lot of us that just want the whole line to return to that.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »

Quote from: "turner"
I think there were a ton of joe fans (myself included) that only got back into joe collecting because of the 25th.  There's a lot of us that just want the whole line to return to that.
...only without the diaper crotches and elbows that don't bend, I hope? ;D
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Quote from: "turner"
...only without the diaper crotches and elbows that don't bend, I hope? ;D

Yeah, but they straightened it out pretty early (except for the occasional limited articulaiton at the elbow which is still a problem with POC).

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »

Quote from: "canprime"
So we all know Hasbro likes to go back to the same well over and over.  No where is that
more evident than in their Star Wars line.  We also saw how well the 25th line did, especially the figures, with classic packaging.  Even the POC line has done a sort of retro return with vehicles being boxed and us having to assemble them.  Now with Star Wars they are releasing "vintage" packaging for the At-At, Snow Speeder and Tie Fighter.

My question is, would you guys be willing to buy re-releases of 25th vehicles in vintage packaging with "some assembly required?"

I don't know. I think Hasbro should've at least continue the 25th line. There was no other valid marketing/sales reason to stop it if it not for the movie.

In my greater opinion, Hasbro Hasbro accomplished more with Gi joe 25th in regards to commemorating the vintage line, than with any of their Star Wars vintage style offerings.
2 + 2 = 22

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »

I forgot that we are 2 years away from the 30th anniversary of ARAH.  So we might get some offerings then.  I'll hope for a return to vintage packaging by then, even if it is just a limited run or occasional offering.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »

I forgot that we are 2 years away from the 30th anniversary of ARAH.  So we might get some offerings then.  I'll hope for a return to vintage packaging by then, even if it is just a limited run or occasional offering.

But if we get another VAMP, HISS tank, Mobat...seriously count me out  :) which will leave more for you guys. I even didn't jump for the PAST & PRESENT 2-pack. I guess I'm too old  :)

I'm all for vintage style product but they should at least do something different with it like they did for RAM&Trubble bubble and the other 25th vehicles.

And they should at least focus on other old school vehicles that have not been revisited already. Per instance, instead of releasing a vintage style MOBAT with retro packaging and all, they should opt for the MBT Mauler (with some nice troop compartments added for once). Instead of the HISS tank v.1, the HISS tank II. I know that's too much asking from Hasbro, but that's the only way in my opinion they'd get MORE collectors like me into buying their stuff, but I do understand that the needs of the many must outweight the needs of the few. And beeing a huge ARAH follower, that's also why I wouldn't buy when I simply don't need another simple vintage style re-issue that was already redone or has nothing new to offer.
2 + 2 = 22

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

yeah I don't care if the packaging is vintage for the vehicles as I'm just going to open them up anyway. I also would rather see new vinatge vehicles instead of ones already released in the 25th line.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

I'm with latinjoe22 on this one.  I would not buy another vehicle I allready own unless they did something exciting to it.  I would rather see vehicles that were not already released.
Lurking

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »

Don't forget guys that most of the old molds were destroyed so "new" old molds are pretty much the only option now.  I understand not wanting the same old vehicles, but let's not forget that in 2 more years some of these vehicles, and figures, won't have been out for 5 years which is about right for a recycling by Hasbro.

I just thought that vintage packaging might be a way for Hasbro to sell us the same item again, even though I know Hasbro would never do something like that.  LOL

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »

Don't forget guys that most of the old molds were destroyed so "new" old molds are pretty much the only option now.  I understand not wanting the same old vehicles, but let's not forget that in 2 more years some of these vehicles, and figures, won't have been out for 5 years which is about right for a recycling by Hasbro.

I just thought that vintage packaging might be a way for Hasbro to sell us the same item again, even though I know Hasbro would never do something like that.  LOL

Re-casts....there is always recasts. And nothing can stop Hasbro from retooling them. But I somewhat agree Canprime that this might limit Hasbro of coming out with a whole bunch of retro vehicles at the same time.

EDIT: +1 Timbit for you  :)
2 + 2 = 22