JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Would you, NOW, go for "vintage re-releases ala Star Wars?  (Read 4381 times)

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Would you, NOW, go for "vintage re-releases ala Star Wars?
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »

I would buy the same vehicles if they were the tiger force or night force versions.  And they still haven't properly released the snake armor or ferret in the right colors even though they obviously have the mold...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »

Quote from: "turner"
I would buy the same vehicles if they were the tiger force or night force versions.  And they still haven't properly released the snake armor or ferret in the right colors even though they obviously have the mold...

You just unveiled my greatest weakness! If Hasbro was to re-release the exact same Tiger Force vehicles, I would definitely cast aside my pride and buy them all over again... :-[ ;D

And I think Hasbro recasted a mold from an old Snake. When you put the ROC Snake and an old side-by-side you can see that some details have smoothened...which makes me think.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:46:38 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »

And the figs too, tele viper python patrol and cobra trooper.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »

I would not be interested.
Frankly, a lot of the 25th vehicle releases, and the theme of those release haven't been terribly compelling for me. I've passed on a lot of stuff, and the strategy Hasbro has used hasn't helped. Vehicles like the Armadillo have been over-done, though they are small, and economically sensible, they just are as interesting as other stuff.
 The GIJOE line is plainly timid in its approach to fielding product---there's a real culture of playing it safe that is apparent to me.
I can understand that--as GIJOE has been a risky venture for Hasbro over the past 20 years.
I'd like to see all-new stuff.......new characters, new vehicle designs. The past can always be trickled out to appease those with a nostalgic bent, but I'd like to see what the designers at Hasbro can do with modern design sensibilities.  POC looks to be something headed in the right direction.
The 25th line largely disappointed me, especially in the vehicles. I was hoping/expecting a more detailed model kit-like approach, where details that were simplified are expanded upon and addressed. Example: that lil' machine gun on the VAMP hood. yea, its there, it appears to be a machine gun, but its molded as a solid. Also on the Vamp, no instrumentation on the dashboard........why not?
I think it was a missed opportunity of what the 25th line COULD have become, but didn't.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
I would not be interested.
Frankly, a lot of the 25th vehicle releases, and the theme of those release haven't been terribly compelling for me. I've passed on a lot of stuff, and the strategy Hasbro has used hasn't helped. Vehicles like the Armadillo have been over-done, though they are small, and economically sensible, they just are as interesting as other stuff.
 The GIJOE line is plainly timid in its approach to fielding product---there's a real culture of playing it safe that is apparent to me.
I can understand that--as GIJOE has been a risky venture for Hasbro over the past 20 years.
I'd like to see all-new stuff.......new characters, new vehicle designs. The past can always be trickled out to appease those with a nostalgic bent, but I'd like to see what the designers at Hasbro can do with modern design sensibilities.  POC looks to be something headed in the right direction.
The 25th line largely disappointed me, especially in the vehicles. I was hoping/expecting a more detailed model kit-like approach, where details that were simplified are expanded upon and addressed. Example: that lil' machine gun on the VAMP hood. yea, its there, it appears to be a machine gun, but its molded as a solid. Also on the Vamp, no instrumentation on the dashboard........why not?
I think it was a missed opportunity of what the 25th line COULD have become, but didn't.

YO-JOE. I think you just said what I was perhaps a bit too shy to say. +1 Timbit fer you.
2 + 2 = 22

joss789

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »

I thing i would buy them, even if Hasbro are using the same mold.   As my opinion, the only thing missing to the 25th vehicles line is the artwork on the boxes.
I would like to see more classic vehicles for the 30th line but like Arrow said, more details would be very appreciate.
www.canadianjoecon.com

THE LARGEST SELECTION OF JOE ITEMS IN CANADA!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »

The vehicles in the 25th line were a step in the right direction, but only a single step. Yes, they did have more details that originally, but there were opportunities that were missed--as I said before. The details we got were haphazard--more control sticks for vehicles that never had them, the odd removable entrenching tool here/there.....fairly mundane.
Here's an example of what could have been: The HISS.
Take a good look at your 25th HISS tank.
 Note the sponsons on the tank treads........do you see what looks like a hatch cover to some side bin/jockey box? Yea.....why could THAT have not been made a functional detail?
And moveable tank treads? I know the new HISS got them, and giving them to the old HISS would be stealing that thunder, but still...
The side bins could stow whatever you wanted: tools, weapons etc.
Add some grab handles to the back for the poor sods to hold on to.

And how about swappable parts?
A new armoured canopy for the driver, with a periscope for those that always thought the glass canopy was too vulnerable(include the old glass canopy for the purists), and TWO sets of guns for the top turret.
One being the traditional molded weapons, and a second set that was more detailed, maybe based off of twin .50 cals, or Bushmaster chain guns with a big ammo feed system and sighting optics. Something to put the tingle back into the HISS's jingle.
Add $10 to the  base price to cover the costs--and YES I'd have bought it.

A DELUXE HISS model.
I'd be all over that like a dirty shirt.
Its would be the HISS we all know, but lovingly upgraded into a form that transcends a toy and becomes something akin to a model kit.
When I saw the figures were going to be detailed, I hoped that the vehicles would be likewise. They weren't, and I'm still hoping.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:50 AM »

A big NO for me.. arah sculpts belongs to the past! And this comes from a big vintage collector.. I would hate to be a SW collector, really!

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »

I like some of your ideas ARROW.  It could be an upgrade with a small outlay of funds.  As you said, they did it for some of the 25th vehicles.  However I think a hypothetical 30th line would go the same route of the 25th.  Some new molds and a lot of original/upgraded molds. 

I would also be all over Tiger Force/Python Patrol/Night Force/Sky Patrol reissues.  However I could also get behind re-releases of small run items (Stinger, Sting Raider[aka Water Moccasin]) which didn't get very wide distribution and are iconic enought to be first or second wave releases.  Which would be beneficial to the line since there would be more desire for those than the over produced Armadillo, etc.  The added benefit is that the shorter run items also have historical repaints from the previously mentioned subgroups.

Also, there are other small vehicles/playsets that weren't released that there are obviously molds for, or weren't released in original colours. 

I think there would be lots of options, and "personally" I would love to see one of those options be vintage styled boxes.