JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013  (Read 11066 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »

Looks to be true. They want to convert it to 3D.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=90579
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/gi-joe-retaliation-to-be-pushed-back-by-almost-a-year.452497425/
http://generalsjoes.com

Stupid move in my opinion.... They hype machine has been going strong for awhile now.

I know 3D brings in a ton of cash for the studios, but to change this 5 weeks before the film is due to come out? Wow.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:39:26 PM by THE Mikeā„¢ »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

Is it Hasbro's call at all?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »

Ugh.  This does not pass the smell test.  Shouldn't they have considered this last year.  It is not like 3D just became a big deal in the past 4 weeks.  Feels like something else is afoot.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »

I'm willing to bet Paramount and Hasbro are now seeing the hype for the movie in full swing, and are re-thinking the lack of any movie-tie-in promotion (Pop, food, etc), and lack of video game promotion tie-in and want to fix that.

G.I. Joe 2 has no video game set to be released as of right now.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »

Is it Hasbro's call at all?

No, this would be mostly Paramount's call.
There's a couple of things about the timing though..........this close to release, it's sending a message and that message is that the movie sucks major ass.
That and the post-convert is a desperate movie to inject something, without spending more money on footage, into it to "grab" audiences".
11th hour moves like this are votes of no-confidence in a film.
If the movie had quality legs......they'd release it as is, go ahead with the post-convert and the RE-release it in 3D next March. The film will be making box-office to pay for the convert along the way.

But that is not what they are doing, and its telling.  I feel confident there's something WRONG with the movie itself, and they are scrambling like hell to try and fix it.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

Well, as said, usually a move like this indicates major problems with the content of the film.  That usually means it is a piece of #$%^

However there is also the idea being tossed around that with Avengers killing it, and Dark Knight and Spiderman coming out (especially Spiderman so close to Retaliation), that they want a better weekend to rule the box office.  If this theory holds any water, I don't understand why they would wait until next year when there are lots of weekends this year to push onto.

Hasbro can't be too happy with this.  The toys are already at stores and now they are going to hit with no supporting media, so I expect sales to be pretty dismal since kids are not going to be caring with DK and Spiderman toys hitting the shelves along with Avengers.  Yes 2 of those 3 are Hasbro lines, but it still means an even lower return on the investment of GIJOE toys thanks to the lack of a movie. 

Also, what does this mean for future waves??  What are they going to do?  Put of wave 1 of everything and then say "sorry, wait until next year with no new product for 6 months"  If they still go forward with the line, what does that mean for when the movie finally hits?  Rehashing waves 1-3 in the hopes people won't notice that it is the same stuff from 8 months previous?  Invest more money into new items? 

Man this is a mess from top to bottom.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »

Also, what does this mean for future waves??  What are they going to do?  Put of wave 1 of everything and then say "sorry, wait until next year with no new product for 6 months"  If they still go forward with the line, what does that mean for when the movie finally hits?  Rehashing waves 1-3 in the hopes people won't notice that it is the same stuff from 8 months previous?  Invest more money into new items? 

Man this is a mess from top to bottom.
If you really want to damage a brand, this is how you'd do it.

The sad truth that every GIJOE collector ( all scales) needs to come to grips with is that their beloved toy-line is the largely, unwanted red-headed step-child of the toy aisles. Its been the case for a long long time now, and the mid 1980's are long past us all. GIJOE is definitely at or very close to its nadir.
I'm not one to seek to doom-say......but...........this is doom-saying.
The brand is an ugly political football for Hasbro-licensors, retailers and broadcasters.

What's gone right in the past decade?

Nothing.
Oh the quick ones point out POC, and 25th Anniversary, but those were good product that was sometimes bizarrely marketed or distributed. In all practical terms, you cannot say a sub-line is a success when you can find it, but many fellow collectors cannot find it at all in different parts of the country.
You look at Sigma Six, 40th Anniversary, DTC, Renegades, Resolute....ROC...........and something about the stuff was excellent and something about it was completely half-assed. The property just can't win.

And we are looking at a street-date going live in 5 days for a movie-tie-in toy line that.....now has no movie to go along with it......for 9 more months.
hey, how many retailers are going to loyally sit on all that stock and follow-up shipments for 9 months? And then gladly place order the next time something with the name " GIJOE" comes along??
Where the incentive? What's the track record? There's probably no more than a couple grand worth of stock going onto the shelves in a few days.......not a lot of dollars in terms of the daily take of these retailers.....but its also not a product line that carries any weight in stirring up orders. GIJOE is just not a brand-name that very many of Joe Q. Public give much of a damn about.

Man, I've loved me GIJOE toys and stuff for a long time now, in various incarnation for 45 years now--since I was a we lad. I have followed the travails of this toy-line since the early 1990's--learned some sobering things along the way. Seen some great toys made, seen a LOT of frustration take place.

This push-back move by Paramount is an act of desperation, and that is the hallmark of something disastrous. Its going to affect everything to do with this brand.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »

I think Hasbro just wanted to trump the GIJCC when it comes to dropping the ball.

Funny how WWE via John Cena was making all the G.I.Joe references for this summer. This can't do Dwayne Johnson's acting career any good. I just watched Journey 2 last night and my 5 year old thought it was good. My wife and I cringed then whole time at the rushed story and horrible acting. Don't get me wrong, I want him to do well.

Also, this pretty much ensures that none of the cast of G.I.Joe Retaliation will be back for part 3 (if that ever happens).

I expect 2 things to happen:

1) The toys will be on clearance by the middle of the summer and we will only see waves 1 and 2 of the figures.

2) The movie will end up going straight to video.

Yep, I'm not seeing this as a good thing.

I wonder how Fun Publishing is taking the news. The reason for New Orleans was a movie tie in and they had a movie night planned. This one is NOT their fault. Man, they just can't catch a break this year.  :(
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

Wow, not good. Talk about deflating the balloon. Granted I had virtually no interest in the movie toys, and I thought the first movie was terrible, but I had some hope for this movie. And I also feel that a successful movie is good for the brand, so from that perspective this is really disappointing.

I can't help but wonder how much hasbro was involved in this decision. What does this mean for the line?

Wow.

:o

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »

This is terrible news and I agree with those who believe the movie must be a clunker.  It may not be and the previews looked good, but this is just odd.

My bigger concern is what happens to the toyline.  Will we get non movie products between now and March 2013?  Feels unlikely, but what do I know.  Its too bad really.  So much for the 30th anniversary line that was one promised.

Now, as a practical matter the items I am looking forward to are

1.  Customs
2.  Joe Con - Oktober Guard
3.  CJC Set
4.  FSS - if the Club ever launches it

From Hasbro proper?  Nothing.........not a good way to manage a property.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

Wow dark year for Joe Collecting!  Wish they did this sooner so we could have at least had an extended 30th anniversary line!  I was going to cherry pick from the movie line but I guess it will be around for another year and a half till the next movie comes out?  Hopefully Hasbro can put together some more 30th anniversary figs for us during the time between.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »

Maybe in desperation to get stuff out that isn't movie related they'll put out Kwinn and Dataviper. Ha, yeah, wishful thinking, but I reallly want that Kwinn figure!!!

What are retailers gonna think having ordered a boatload of retaliation stuff only to find out there's no movie to support it? How is hasbro gonna get retailers on board to support the line for the rest of the year? Or even next March? Or do they care? My mind is still boggled!  :o