JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GIJCC 2012 registration is now live.  (Read 8192 times)

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: GIJCC 2012 registration is now live.
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »

In regards to ninjas, there has been a fairly loud anti-ninja message sent to the club. I doubt we will ever see a set based on ninjas.

To be fair, a lot of that has to do with the non - strategic way Hasbro marketed the Retaliation toys.  Ninja Roadblock, Ninja Duke, Nina Jeep, etc.

Ninja Force was never that popular, but I think there is some love for them now....enough time has passed :)

I, for my part, have a customs Ninja Force team that a tanker named Bad Sociologist did for me.....very good stuff.

But, I hear you, very unlikely. 

Not too excited about Night Force, but I think you are right.  Of course, I'd probably pay it anyway (damn u, OCD) and a Night Boomer would be awesome.  I'll admit that.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

I myself like ninjas. I have always thought they were cool and the way Larry Hama built this world around them in the Joe mythos is hands down brilliant.  The only problem I have with a Ninja Force set is I'm sick of the thousand incarnations of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.  The only way I'd be interested in buying the Con set is if these two individuals were offered as convention exclusives outside of the 15 fig set so I would have the option of not getting them.  HMMMM I might be on to something.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

thing with ninjas is, its a hit with kids.  My nephew LOVES ninjas.  He will play with some of the joes I leave out for him to play and he will always play with the ninjas rather than the military looking guys.  I think the thing is adults dont tend to like ninjas as much.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

ninjas are fine in small doses. conservation of ninjitsu. too many ninjas ruins things.

GI Joe 1982-1990: a total of 3 ninjas: Snakes, Stormy and Jinx. all well and good.
GI Joe 1991-1994: Nnjas out the wazoo, line dies off.

clearly too many ninjas.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »

To be fair, the line was dying in 1992 with or without Ninja Force.  Remember Mega Marines, Eco Warriors, StreetFighter II, Star Brigade, etc, etc.  They were swinging a lot, and missing even more.

I like Ninja Force, but realize they are not for everyone.  Slice & Dice are pretty good and Banzai is one of my favorites b/c he is just such an "out there" character.  I even have a custom of have that is spot on. 

You could work Budo in a NF set.......apparently, Hasbro was looking to release him as part of the 30th.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »

To be fair, early 90's ninjas were the trend.  They were competing with TMNT, and to be honest I had left Joe for them.  Oddly enough, the TMNT nostalgia never hit me like Joe did.  Aside from some limited edition prints last year, I never got into getting them again, though the newest classic lines might change that.
Anyways I digress.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »

I jumped into Star Brigade, Street Fighter II and Ninja Force feet first when they came out. I was *super* stoked to have that "whirlwind" Storm Shadow figure and even happier when I got the t-crotch Snake Eyes.

My only issue with the toys as a kid was the weapon trees. I also noticed that we were getting a lot more repaints of the same figures with minimal difference. (i.e Wet Suit, Firefly, Snow Storm, Night Creeper Leader)

My fav figure when the line finally died?

This guy:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/94/scifi4.shtml

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »

Neon weapon trees, have to be among the worst ideas Hasbro ever had.  Yuck!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

spring-loaded missile launchers. BLECH.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.