JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013  (Read 11108 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:03:57 PM »

I feel like I've been kicked in the "yo joes".  :o

It baffles me why Paramount and MGM would do this.  If it is because The Avengers is making a bunch of money and they hope to do the same with G.I. Joe, I'd rather see the movie released now and bomb, and finally put G.I. Joe out of it's misery.

It has been a mishandled property for years, which is a damn dirty shame because G.I. Joe is one of the most important things in my life.  I just want G.I. Joe to be treated with the proper respect it deserves.  It is the best toy is the history of toys and I would love for it to hit the main stream like it did in the 80's.

I feel sorry for the retailer's who've invested thousands of dollars into the toy line.  I hope this publicty gets fans rushing out to buy the toys and they disappear off the shelves (after I get mine of course).

It's not too late for Paramount to change their minds and have the movie released June 29th, with a 3D extended version to come out in March (wishful thinking I guess).

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 11:21:43 PM »

I'm too upset to leave a constructive comment.
Lurking

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »

Maybe in desperation to get stuff out that isn't movie related they'll put out Kwinn and Dataviper. Ha, yeah, wishful thinking, but I reallly want that Kwinn figure!!!

You and me both, brother.  Personally, I think Kwinn will be the NY Comic Con exclusive.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »

Apparently, and take this with a grain of salt, the real story is that the movie screened very poorly so Paramount decided to pull it and reshoot / refilm part of it.  Makes sense.  I have no idea whether this is true, read it on another message board.  Sounds plausible though........this is clearly a last minute decision.  It is not like 3D technology was just invented last week.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »

I feel sorry for the retailer's who've invested thousands of dollars into the toy line.  I hope this publicty gets fans rushing out to buy the toys and they disappear off the shelves (after I get mine of course).

Here's the thing......if the toys don't get pulled.... and go out for sale.....its not going to hurt the big retailers at all. It'll likely carve up the small retailers some though--and those folks are rubbing elbows with us here.
I officially stepped out of buying the Retaliation line a couple months ago......and I've not altered that stance. I'd support the retailers here if the product itself was worth buying.......but I think its not.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:38 AM »

well, that's an epic cluster-screw. only upside i see is at least now Britain might get it when America does.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »

Echoing what has been said, the 3D thing is likely BS.  Every film comes out with a 3D version these days.  Switching from a summer to March release shows little faith in the film.

I will be ensuring that if I see it in theaters that I will not be seeing a 3D version.

Hasbro doesn't seem to care about the brand.  Why should I?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 07:19:37 AM »

Echoing what has been said, the 3D thing is likely BS.  Every film comes out with a 3D version these days.  Switching from a summer to March release shows little faith in the film.

I will be ensuring that if I see it in theaters that I will not be seeing a 3D version.

Hasbro doesn't seem to care about the brand.  Why should I?

OK.  I take the 3D part back.  Apparently Chu said in March that they didn't shoot in 3D due to time and cost constraints.

Does this tie in anyway to the terrible performance of Battleship?  Suck every dime out of them?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »

Chu's explanation does not make sense.  So, they did not shoot the film in 3D because of time and cost.  But now that Battleship bombed, they suddenly free'd up money to re-shoot in 3D and release it during March, not exactly summer blockbuster season? 

Time and cost were an issue last issue during filming, but suddenly is no longer an issue following Battleship?  Don't buy it.

Think about it....the movie gets pushed out 9 months (so much for the time issue), will cost more b/c of 3D (so much for the cost issue) and actually costs even more if you factor in lost marketing dollars spent (e.g. Superbowl 2012 advertising, etc.).

So, if they just decided to do it in 3D initially, they would have saved money, time and released the film during peak movie season.  This apparent about face, suggest Paramount has no clue what is doing.  While some folks may believe that, I don't think that is the case.  Yo don't get to be a major movie studio by being clueless.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »

well, it's Hasbro not Paramount that's taken a hit off Battleship as it was a Universal release.

but if this is Hasbro's decision, they're screwing themselves because the toys are either not going to shift with no movie to push them or are going to sit in warehouses collecting dust for 9 months taking up space.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »

I know zero about retail, but I believe warehouse space is a limited resource.  I can not see stores putting inventory in the warehouse for 9 months and then hoping for the movie will come out in March after getting already burned once.  Products may get stolen and the space can be better used for inventory that will move now.

Similar, I believe retail shelf space is limited.  Without a movie, these products won't move very well.  Thus, I believe stores will not put them out b/c the space can probably be better used.

Thus, I'm guessing these products will just get dumped on dollar stores by the retailers pronto.

Again, that is just one man's guess.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »

Coming soon to Winners...