JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013  (Read 11105 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe : Retaliation pushed back to March 2013
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »

Reading snippets this morning that re-shoots have been and are underway, and more scheduled.
Also that test screenings did very poorly.

That's the tell-tale folks. The movie blows chunks in its current state. The 9 month-delay is an attempt to fix it.

IMO, this resets EVERYTHING to zero. All the stuff said, all coy fannish comments from the director, the cast.....all of it is suspect now. There's a host of things that could be wrong, but its a safe bet the story does not deliver, and THAT is a serious flaw. Story is the foundation of a movie, and if the beats and key moments are missed.....or are weak......then the story crumbles.
Heck, I'm reading missives on various sites claiming that test screening questionnaires are asking (among other suspicious questions) if audiences wanted " to see more Channing Tatum"!!!

3D conversion my ass!!

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »

Apparently, Paramount sees Channing Tatum as "more of an asset now".  Guessing that is from the screenings.

The previews looked good.  I wonder what went wrong? 

Maybe Rock / Bruce Willis tried to make it funny (which we did not see in the previews) and it failed. 

Maybe it was too cartoony, like RoC.  Who knows.......

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »

You know guys. I'm still in awe over the fact that the movie's release was pushed back. I think I'll jump to something else instead, best thing to do when I feel down...

2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »

Coming soon to Winners...

Or Giant Tiger.

If it goes the way of Star Trek then we'll see these in Dollarama.

It's going to be an interesting summer, that's for sure.  8)
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »

well, for me, there is one positive in this: i can afford to see The Bourne Legacy now.

yay.
[/sarcasm]
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »

Maybe there is hope for Renegades season two.  Ya right.  This is Sunbow's GIJoe the Movie all over again.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »

I know the biggest question asked at the Convention to the Hasbro reps will be WTF?
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

Since some stores are supposed to already have the Retaliation toys in their backroom, can we still hope to see some new Joes in Canada next week?
Say no to AFA.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »

Since some stores are supposed to already have the Retaliation toys in their backroom, can we still hope to see some new Joes in Canada next week?

I don't see why not. Hal already has his stock in.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »

A friend of mine asked a TRU employee and she said they have retaliation product ready to go in the back for the 28th. So it should be ready to go here in Canada. Too bad the movie isn't!  :P I can't imagine the movie issue stopping product from appearing now. That ship has sailed.

Isn't the first wave of stuff only marginally related to the movie? Like mostly the packaging? I've not paid close enough attention, but I guess it would be fitting if there's no movie for the toys to look like anyway!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

Apparently, Paramount sees Channing Tatum as "more of an asset now".  Guessing that is from the screenings.

The previews looked good.  I wonder what went wrong? 

Maybe Rock / Bruce Willis tried to make it funny (which we did not see in the previews) and it failed. 

Maybe it was too cartoony, like RoC.  Who knows.......

For a couple of months now........I've had a growing disquieting feeling about the movie.
I loved the trailers just fine, got me stoked.... but something......I couldn't put my finger on it until last week....and even then.....the quality of the trailers didn't let me embrace this idea:

There's not a whole lot of scale here.

For an "army movie"....the trailers never show more than about a dozen people in any shot--often less.
Now granted, the premise here is that the Joes are gutted as a  force and that COBRA rolls in and takes over. But not even COBRA gets any juicy numbers on screen here.
No sense of scale here.........and no sense of a climax here.
Based on the premise, and the shots we'eve seen in the trailer-the locales shown more or less reveal their place in the story.
New Orleans is likely around the part of the climax, because of the big glorious shot of RoadRock on the Ripsaw hip-firing the M2. So all the shots of the Ripsaw rolling around are from there too.
So is the Ripsaw the "big weapon" to save the day?  That.............feels kind of light-weight to me.......like something cooked up in the A-Teams garage--and we all remember how cheezy that was.
And then there's the shot of Roadrock firing a SAW minimi while fast-roping Aussie-style inside some base-like location--a rocket gantry, a refinery? Another PIT? THE PIT???
.....and there's the whole Ninja Mountain stuff....I cannot juxtapose how all these bits fit into the body of the film ( and that is actually a good thing)--but when I read that the movie is in trouble.........then it raises questions to the surface.

But back to that sense of scale......
If we are expected to believe that the GIJOE team is capable at all, and that a handful of them can save the day......then it raises the proper question: What do we need the rest of 'em for? If you don't bring in that army into play, that sense of scale.......my story sense calls that unsatisfying and awkward.

I suspect now, they are going to pull the "coma" card....and have the Joe team playing possum throughout, and arriving over the hill at the 11th hour to save the day........ and Duke will be leading the charge.
That is typically "GIJOE" and it might be something that can help the movie....but it all depends on what the rest of the story is like.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »

I know the biggest question asked at the Convention to the Hasbro reps will be WTF?

I think it'll be a safe bet the reps will plead innocence and will genuinely not know what the reasons really are. This is Paramount's call, likely with the grudging okay from upper-level Hasbro management.

That's fair, in the end--because they are just reps attending a small social/media event with a small attendance........having ready answers for that small a crowd isn't going to be a priority.
Attendees will likely get more info from on-line over the next month than they will over the entire 3 days of the con in June.
This is something that the reps have no control over, and pestering them on it will only create ill-will. If the prying minds focus on things that the reps like DO have some control/traffic with ( designs, marketing, etc) then fans will probably get something insightful-if only tangentially.