JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Price increase for figures in Canada.  (Read 7529 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Price increase for figures in Canada.
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »

All the talk of figure costs going up has begun:

This just means I'll be buying more Joes from Hal.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Price increase for figures in Canada.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »

It's the same for MU.  Interesting though is that SW has stayed at 9.93 - only a penny more.........
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:19:53 PM »

Like I said in the Quebec thread, what's the point of rising the prices when you have nothing to sell?
People didn't buy that lonely Blowtorch for $8, what makes them think that he'll go for $10.77?
They should wait for a new assortment before rising the price.
Say no to AFA.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »

Maybe not all Walmart stores carry Joes, and the few that still do, are just following a price adjustment call from their regional head office. It has happened before. But I agree that it comes out as bad timing, especially with the movie toys just around the corner.
2 + 2 = 22

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

They should have waited for the movie toys to change the price.
I think it would be easier to swallow for the general public to see new toys for a new movie at a new price.
Oh so many new things. ;D
Say no to AFA.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »

Saw that price hike in my neck of the woods too, don't like it either.
Its in anticipation of the movie toys, no doubt and it means we'll be paying more for less.

Until all of it goes on discount in a year.....

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »

The price jump was drastic, but I did pay $9.99 for a lot of my ROC figures.  Since I bought most of my POC/30th stuff from Hal, I never paid attention to what was on the shelf (when it was there) and when I did buy Jungle Viper, Recondo, Zartan, Cobra Commander, etc when they first came out I paid $9.97.  I just think of it as an 80ยข price increase, that we waited almost 2 years to get.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »

Poor guys. Those figs are still $6.97 (American) at Wally-World down here.  I bet they go up by the time the movie stuff comes out though.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »

Poor guys. Those figs are still $6.97 (American) at Wally-World down here.  I bet they go up by the time the movie stuff comes out though.
That price won't be an issue until we actually have stuff to buy which probably will be the new movie merchandise.
Say no to AFA.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »

I've heard it mentioned that hasbro has to pay royalties to paramount for doing the movie figures. This seems so back asswards to me. I don't get how these movie deals work, but doesn't paramount pay hasbro to use their brand to make it into a movie? At the very least hasbro OWNS the property, so why should they be paying royalties out?

In a sense it kinda should work out even. Paramount gets to use a bankable franchise to put out a movie and make money. Hasbro, in turn, gets to pump out toys with the movie as a multi-million $ commercial, and therefore they make money. I don't know how much money is to be made on either side of the equation though and who actually stands to benefit most. But either way, this royalties business just seems like an excuse to raise figure prices.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »

I've heard it mentioned that hasbro has to pay royalties to paramount for doing the movie figures. This seems so back asswards to me. I don't get how these movie deals work, but doesn't paramount pay hasbro to use their brand to make it into a movie? At the very least hasbro OWNS the property, so why should they be paying royalties out?

In a sense it kinda should work out even. Paramount gets to use a bankable franchise to put out a movie and make money. Hasbro, in turn, gets to pump out toys with the movie as a multi-million $ commercial, and therefore they make money. I don't know how much money is to be made on either side of the equation though and who actually stands to benefit most. But either way, this royalties business just seems like an excuse to raise figure prices.
Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson are both bankable stars and both are paid fees for the licensing of their likenesses. Add to it the obligatory fees also paid to their co-stars that also appear in toy form and there's a considerable added expense. We are talking likely amounts in the millions of dollars here.
Paramount's cut in this is probably less than people are assuming, and its likely NOT royalties, but other costs and such. They are handling distribution of the film, and marketing.....and since the film is their bailiwick, they stand to lose if the thing bombs, moreso than Hasbro does. Hasbro won't lose money on this movie because they can utilize it in many ways over time.
 Don't forget that Hasbro has its own network (and its own studio) now--the HUB--that can broadcast their live-action properties just as much as their cartoons. This movie is nothing more than a money-making "scheme"--like all movies-based on toylines are--its an extension of a toy-based TV series concept, essentially a 2hr long commercial for the toys.
The goal here has been to make money all along, so yeah........raising prices is going to be a natural part of that effort.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »

If we had product to buy....
Lurking