JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hasbro at Fan Expo 2013  (Read 4207 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Hasbro at Fan Expo 2013
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »

I was at Fan Expo this year. It was another good show.

Hasbro was set up as usual. They gave me some new Bey Blades for my son. They also had more of a presence this year with a booth set up to sell toys. Among the toys was the Star Wars Black series. I've got some Star Wars figure (96 moc in the attic from the 90's plus a bunch of play sets if anyone wants to make a deal  ;) ). Anyhow, Hasbro was selling the 6 inch figures for $30 each with the exception of the Sand Trooper they were selling for $40 each OR you could "save money" as they put it and buy all 4 for $100.00.

That never sat right with me. They know it's an army builder so instead of changing the case assortment they jack the price of the "hot" figure. I expect this from on line shops, independent shops and toy shows but NOT from the manufacturer.  They were there to represent themselves as Hasbro and spread the word on the product, not get an extra $10. I have no idea who approved that idea but it was a bad call.

Ironically I've seen the new 6 inch wave a few times now. Wal-Mart has them for $22.99 and Toys R Us has them for $24.99. Both prices below the $30 Hasbro wanted for X Wing Luke, R2D2, Darth Maul and $40 for the Sand Trooper.

I picked up the Sand Trooper today. It's next to me as I write this. It's not a bad toy. With GI Joe looking like the main stream product is going away in 2014 I'll have a few spare dollars for the odd 6 inch Star Wars toy. I have no plans on getting them all. Darth Maul and anyone else from 1-3 can stay on the shelves but I'll grab Luke, Han, Vader and Boba Fett when I see them.

I also ran into Loop in his "Multiple Man" suit. It's always a joy to run into him. Great guy, always has a smile.  :)
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro at Fan Expo 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »

The 6" Black Series are great product, but those prices are a gouge.  I have Maul and the Sandtrooper, and both are really nice--but I got mine from Walmart.
Specialty retailers are selling these for about $25-$28........or higher. These are scalper-bait at the moment, but lots of them are appearing all over so the gouge-window it rapidly closing. 
The marks who are not quite internet-savvy are the ones who are going to get hit with $60 per figure ( yeah, been told that's happened in a couple of places already).

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »

No one should be paying more than $25 per figure in my opinion.
Cases break down to about $18 per figure plus. So $25 is fair for independents / hobby / collector / comic shops in my opinion.

I'll be carrying Series 2 of this line, at $25 per figure. Solid case/sets for $95.
No real break on them, as the mark up is small, as you can see.

For Hasbro to sell them that high, it's pure money grab.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »

Is the sand trooper short packed or something..? Is there a reson he brings a 40$ price tag..?
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

Is the sand trooper short packed or something..? Is there a reson he brings a 40$ price tag..?
He's just sought-after.
The Sandtrooper just seems to be the first figure pinched from the assortment, Maul is second, then R2 and finally Luke.
 Each case has two of each figure, so there's no short-packing of any character. 
Simple demand is making him harder to find in stores, and that same demand ( of the wind of demand) is making scalpers raise the mark-up.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »

Understood....But i guess all is fair in love and war....and figure chasing.

Im in Atlantic Canada and the wall marts down here have them for 24.99$. But thats just because of the extra shipping cost.
Everything here is @ least 2$ more the TO.

I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »

I passed by TRU today so I popped in. I don't hit many toy stores anymore.

Anyhow, the 6 inch Black figures are 25% off so I picked up R2D2 for $18.xx. They had all 4 but I already have a sandtrooper and R2D2 was in short supply. I was looking at Maul but remembered my rule of movies 4 - 6 only, so I passed. 
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »

I was looking at Maul but remembered my rule of movies 4 - 6 only, so I passed.
That rule is right up there with "don't cross the streams"....
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!