JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?  (Read 317176 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:25:06 PM »

Well I think it is high time some discussion started up again on the board.  Don't know if anyone is still around, but here goes.

Retro:

I haven't seen much in store from this line so I can't speak to it very much.  Figure wise I am not impressed.  They look good, but the quality is pretty bad.  At least based on the Cobra Pilot I opened.  It felt "gummy" and cheap like it would be something you would find in a dollar store.

The Fang is the only vehicle I picked up since I never found the AWE or HISS.  The box art is great, and it definitely feels like a "retro" throwback.  However I find the updates to the Fang completely unnecessary, and frankly detract from the vehicle.

I get that it was done to add a bit of heft/weight to the vehicle, but it comes across as unnecessary fiddling.  I'm sure the AWE and HISS are fine since they seem to be simple re-releases.

Classified:

After a bit of an underwhelming start, the line is really coming on strong.  Excluding the stupid Cobra Island exclusives, I have been loving the newer releases.  Zartan and Cobra Infantry are outstanding.  Destro is amazing!  I can't wait for more reveals on April 9th during the Hasbro FanFest.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »

Not impressed with Retro since it's just modern era in throwback packaging. Retro looks crap.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:56:30 AM »

I think the idea for retro was a good one, but the execution is what was/is lacking. 

I like the packaging, well the boxes.  I can appreciate the cards, but I don't particularly care for them. 

As I said I find the figures to feel cheap, probably from the plastics they used.  Also the price is stretched way too far now.  I get that it is 2021, and that everything costs more, but +$20, after tax, for a single figure is too much.  You can get most of the 25th/ME figures for less than that on the secondary market.

Also I think it was a missed opportunity to reissue the ARAH molds.  I know that most of the molds are gone, but with other lines doing the retro reissue (TMNT, He-Man, Transformers) thing, I think more people would have been interested in near identical reissues.  Especially since the ARAH line has such limited reissues, at least when it comes to figures, over the past 20 years.  And compared to other toy lines.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »

I meant Classified looks crap. Whoops.

If they want to do modernised ARAH retro stuff, they ought to hire Marauders and use their methodology for non o-ring/non-fugly chest hinged figures.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 08:11:13 AM »

I actually don't mind Classified.  I think some of the looks are overly busy, but overall I like the majority, especially the Cobra Infantry.  I understand wanting to capture the look of the recent game, but I think they should try the ML formatt of throwing in classic looks along with newer takes in every wave.

What did everyone, meaning just you apparently Sundance, think of the movie reveals?

I like that they are doing a cheaper 6" line for the kids.  It shows they are at least still trying.  The movie classified figures are ok, but kind of meh to me right now.  I find it funny that they are numbered like the rest of the classified line, but at least that explains the missing numbers after the CI exclusives. 

Definitely not a fan of the beige Storm Shadow, or this new female character.  Also hate the Baroness' hair.  However, I guess it is a case of wait and see the movie before making a final decision.

Also love those kid role play items.  I mean different bo staffs that can convert to other weapons?  Yes please!!!  Now do them ala ML role play for adults.

Retro/Vintage is still going so we will see more in June during their Yo Joe June reveal event.  Hopefully they do more vintage vehicles, especially if the rumour of a vintage boxed Vamp Mk2 is true.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 03:35:13 PM »

Ok, now I'm mad.

I was already pissed about the CI exclusives and what a $#@+ show they were to collect.  However I lucked out and got everything except the Cobra Trooper.  I was fine with getting the Infantry instead. 

Also Hasbro is apparently going to reissue some of the exclusives down the road.  So I can be patient for army builders, and Firefly is nice, but the vest is a miss for the character in my opinion.  So I can wait on him as well.

HOWEVER that Major Bludd that was just revealed, and is another CI exclusive is a different story.  Not only is the figure a thing of beauty, but he was one of my favourite characters growing up.  So this has pissed me off to no end.  I hope I luck out, but if not I might cave and pay scalper prices.

DAMMIT HASBRO!!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 02:19:21 AM »

I haven't looked at the movie line. I have zero interest in the movie.

Hasbro are a shitshow all around atm, from what I've seen my American SW-collecting buddy say.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »

I haven't looked at the movie line. I have zero interest in the movie.

Hasbro are a shitshow all around atm, from what I've seen my American SW-collecting buddy say.

Yeah toy lines in general are a disaster right now, not just Hasbro.

You should check the movie line you never know what might strike your fancy.  I also saw the synopsis for the movie on YouTube (from someone at a screening).  It sounds like a good movie, although it didn't sound like much of GI Joe movie.  More like a Snake Eyes origin with a set up for a sequel with emphasis on GI Joe.  Apparently a lot of great action sequences with a very Samurai feel for the setting.  Sounds a little hyperbolic to me, but who knows.

Fingers crossed it is good and makes a sequel possible. 

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 04:07:12 PM »

I recently saw on YouTube that someone on Facebook has files for 3D printing a 6" scale Skyhawk.  It looks great, a near perfect copy of the original 3 3/4" version. 

Apparently he is offering to either print it (not sure how much), or sell you the file for $20.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »

https://news.hisstank.com/2021/06/25/possible-first-look-at-g-i-joe-classified-series-b-a-t-and-alley-viper-74024

So it looks like we are finally getting the Alley Viper from the Classified back of the box art, and a BAT!!!!!!

If these are CI exclusives, and aren't sold in solid case packs, I expect Hasbro to be burned to the ground by the angry fanboy mobs.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 06:29:41 AM »

So the new Retro HISS 3 is pretty nice.  I never found the HISS, or AWE Striker, but of course I found the FANG.  What were there, like 5 million FANGs versus 2 HISS and AWE Strikers released in Canada?

Anyway, I still have a boxed 25th HISS with RIP IT, so the figure from this set doesn't do much for me.  However I do like the blue on this version.  I would have preferred a Crimson MMS version, but maybe we will get lucky and see one again someday.  I also despise the dirt paint deco on the treads, i prefer the clean look.

Anyway let's hope Walmart Canada gets this in significant numbers so I can find one.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 06:46:54 AM »

Well I lucked out and found CI Major Bludd this week at my local TRU.  No sign of Viper or Firefly.

I have to say, Major Bludd is without a doubt top 2 of figures released so far in the Classified line.  He is perfectly evokes the spirit of the original ARAH Bludd while having just enough updates to make him modern.  I actually prefer him without his helmet on, but either way still works.  Great job by whoever did the design work on this figure.