JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Arah Pricing  (Read 653 times)

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Arah Pricing
« on: November 17, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »

So I was watching a video on youtube with Bobby Vala in it (I think in reaction to the HasbroPulse reveal) and I thought I head him say that when he worked at Hasbro they thought there were maybe 10,000 fans left who collect ARAH. I don't have a link so sorry.
That got me thinking, if thats true and people are really digging the classified series, do any of you think the ARAH prices will ever drop down again? I mean I just can't afford $50 figures. I need like $20 figures...or am I dreaming?

Part of my question is because of the oring SE and SS pack being offered. I didn't have either of those figures growing up (just V 2 of both but I always wanted them). I don't mind to possibly get this two pack but I'd rather have the originals.

thoughts?

bishop

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Arah Pricing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »

Good question... I think the movies turned off a few fans - perhaps origin is bringing new fan base. I think there is nothing compared with the originals so if you can track those down it's probably the best for nostagia. I was eyeballing this set as well, but 50 is too much for me. I prefer putting this on a complete snake eyes or storm shadow.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Arah Pricing
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 07:25:39 AM »

Take anything Bobby Vala has to say about Hasbro, or anything in general, with a grain of salt.

As to the 10,000 number?  Who really knows?  Any number, even from Hasbro, would be a guess.  No one I know of is going out there and trying to survey the general population for their interest in ARAH figures.

The reality is that the ARAH line was a huge hit in the 80s.  They literally made millions of most figures, and some vehicles.  If you check out any retro toy store they will have some ARAH toys guaranteed.  Same with any general toy show/convention.  That means there is a high likelihood that there are at minimum 10,000 collectors still out there actively collecting.  Add to that some small amount of non-fan buyers (store, general collectors, etc.)

Now of course out of all those toys made in the 80s, how many are still circulating?  How many are long dumped in the garbage?  How many are still in serviceable condition?  Then add on the idea of how many collectors out there actually need any of these toys in their collection?  I'm sure the hardcore ARAH collectors already have most of the toys, and it is only the super rare items they want. 

Then let's add on time.  We are talking about a 40 year old toyline now.  I'm almost 50 and my priorities have changed from even 10 years ago.  As the number of fans dwindles due to age/death there will be more toys available for the remaining fans as well.  However will people be interested in 20 years time?

There will always be high value items from the line, but in general the prices will fluctuate for some time, but eventually fall as the demand wanes.

So pay what you are comfortable with paying, but I wouldn't go over $20 for a complete figure, outside of super rare/MOSC obviously. 

As for the new O-ring, this is the new pricing structure.  All new figures have gone up way too much in just the last 2 years.  $20 at retail for a 3.75" figure?  I just don't see the value in that, especially when I was getting the 25th/ME for less than $10. 

Anyway, long winded answer over..........power off poindexter.