JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Skystriker and the return of o-ring!!!  (Read 9540 times)

bishop

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Skystriker and the return of o-ring!!!
« on: October 23, 2021, 06:52:49 PM »

Haslab is crowdfunding the skystriker... cool, however, they are returning to o-ring figures!!! I am so excited to see new o-ring figures such as pilot scarlet, crew staff, etc.

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/haslab/products/g-i-joe-skystriker

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Skystriker and the return of o-ring!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 09:26:51 AM »

No word of a lie, but I nearly shed a tear at that Skystriker reveal.  I was already so excited by the Classified, and o-ring, reveals, but that Skystriker had me going nuts.  And all those accessories, figures, vehicles, etc. etc. etc. 

I know it is expensive, but it is Haslab so you have to accept a little sticker shock when they reveal them.  I'm definitely in for 1, but most likely 2 since shipping will cost the same whether I order 1, or 2.

I love that the classic O-ring style is back.  I have no problem with Retro, but I felt the new figures were too "gummy" and not interesting enough to warrant the price.  I also think Hasbro saw what other lines were doing (MOTU:O, TMNT, etc.) and the success they had with giving fans the vintage (styled) figures they always wanted.  I was a little bummed at first when I saw SE/SS were packed in a box, but then found out they come on their classic cards!!!!!

Just too bad they are Pulse exclusives, so I have to bite the bullet on them, but hopefully I can find some other stuff on the site to take the sting out of the shipping costs.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »

This is amazing! I have to figure out a way to get this without wife killing me.

EDIT: Ok I think the Skystriker is out for me.....sad reality is I simply can't afford it. With shipping and and exchange it just too far out of reach. In the last 2-3 years I managed to buy a flagg and a terrordrome and that took all my extra cash from years of saving. This makes me sad since acquiring a skystriker is now my top most wanted vehicle and this is just an amazing example with lots of extras. Looks like quite a bit of difference from the original and the 30th anniversary. I need more pictures.

The snake eyes and storm shadow I might be able to convince the wife to swing for Christmas but if I can't anyone want to pick me up a set of those two? I didn't have either of these figures originally and I have to say I like they went with Snake Eyes commando version which  has been my preferred version.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:19:13 PM by B »

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »

Same here... space IS an issue too. While I am so glad so it redone, I have the 25th anniversary one and I am afraid the quality is the same.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »

Bishop - is the quality not good? For the 30th skystriker I thought quality was ok. Different type of plastic but I didn't think it was that bad.

For the skystriker I just love everything about it. Love the new canopy opening, the payload options, even the freakin' ladder to get into the plane.
As a flagg owner this just screams a must and even more so if they unlock and can get some of the deck crew. I'd like like 12 of those guys but I'd repaint them a couple different colours to really get a great deck crew.

ARRGH! I really wish I had the money....*sob* *sob*

I agree space is an issue but I would probably keep this at my work office.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 06:25:32 AM »

Bishop - is the quality not good? For the 30th skystriker I thought quality was ok. Different type of plastic but I didn't think it was that bad.

For the skystriker I just love everything about it. Love the new canopy opening, the payload options, even the freakin' ladder to get into the plane.
As a flagg owner this just screams a must and even more so if they unlock and can get some of the deck crew. I'd like like 12 of those guys but I'd repaint them a couple different colours to really get a great deck crew.

ARRGH! I really wish I had the money....*sob* *sob*

I agree space is an issue but I would probably keep this at my work office.

Hey you have 2 kidneys, and you only need 1 to survive!!  ;)

I hear you about space, and price, but this is the problem with Haslabs.  Generally they are big, and expensive.  Plus, so far, Hasbro has done a good job of making it clear they won't release these items again, ever.  So that helps to push the FOMO for backers.  If you miss now you won't find it again, except on the secondary market at a higher price.  If they were to ever release these Haslabs at retail, even modified, there would be an uproar in the fan community.  Plus it would probably make a lot of people, myself included, question why I should spend the crazy high prices they ask for these if they are just going to release a similar item down the road.

I'm actually in the beginning stages of selling off some of my collection for space, and money.  I realized I let "collection creep" get out of hand.  I have too much stuff, from many lines, and I need to make some tough choices now.  It actually feels good because it is also decluttering, and makes it easier to justify getting the Skystriker.

Also just to be clear, this Skystriker is a completely new mold, no reuse parts.  They build the Haslabs from the ground up, otherwise it wouldn't really be a good look to say "here is a giant, expensive item, but it is 25% reused parts". 

I love all the little details with this Skystriker.  The fact they actually reached out to Northrop Grumman to better capture the original F-14 look.  All the extra detailing.  The nose camera pod, the fact that you can open a flap to attach the fuel hose to "refuel."  I absolutely LOVE that they give you 2 sets of fins to make it either toy accurate, or show accurate.  How about the fact that now, because they started from scratch, you have separate levers for the wings and landing gear?  No more having the wings extended with the wheels down like the original.  Unless you want that, but now it can "fly" without the wheels down.  Then you have a ton of armaments and effects.  The support vehicles, the stand!!  Ace and the never before made Wayne Ruthel!!  The cloth parachutes.  The movable joystick.  Never before made Scarlett, Ripcord, and pit crew!!! (Well those are all stretch goals, but still).  Ejector seat blast effects!!  They really did go about as all out as you can imagine for something like this.  I just wish I still had a FLAGG (had one as a kid). 

About the only thing I don't like is the decal sheet.  I get why they went this route.  It allows for customization.  If you are a Joe fan you get to make the Skystriker the way you remember.  If you are more of a military/airplane fan you can make it closer to a real word F-14.  Personally I would have preferred Tampos and paint apps over having to apply stickers that will evenutally discolour and peel.

Either way I am definitely backing this, I mean I have to :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:30:53 AM by canprime »

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 02:47:58 PM »

It's ok, I have the vintage one and the plastic is harder. The new one is made of softer plastic.

Good to hear it's a new mold... ;) I am still on the fence.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »

The Skystriker passed 50% of funding goal a couple days ago.

Slow, but steady progress.  Hopefully we see the crazy numbers at the end like so many of the other Haslab projects.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »

I hear you about space, and price, but this is the problem with Haslabs.  Generally they are big, and expensive.  Plus, so far, Hasbro has done a good job of making it clear they won't release these items again, ever.  So that helps to push the FOMO for backers.  If you miss now you won't find it again, except on the secondary market at a higher price. If they were to ever release these Haslabs at retail, even modified, there would be an uproar in the fan community.  Plus it would probably make a lot of people, myself included, question why I should spend the crazy high prices they ask for these if they are just going to release a similar item down the road.

Hasbro does reserve the right to sell it differently so I'm not so sure you wouldn't see this again.  I wonder if there might be a tie in to the new Top gun movie if it does well (which i think it will)
Okay I think I'm going to sell my MOTU 200x figures and see if I can fund this. Its just to awesome and joe has really been the only childhood toys I ever had. I already sold my Toybiz ML to get me flagg and terrordrome so while i enjoy collecting the 200x figs they gotta go so i can get me that skystriker.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:42:10 PM by B »

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 12:48:13 PM »

Well its done. Sold off my MOTU 200x stuff and now I have officially placed my order and backed the skystriker. Also ordered the SS & SE set too. I'm pumped. Can't wait.... <squeal with delight>
It would be amazing if this hit all tier unlocks.  A bit expensive otherwise but I don't care. I'm a sucker for sure. HAHA

you guys pull the trigger?

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »

Well its done. Sold off my MOTU 200x stuff and now I have officially placed my order and backed the skystriker. Also ordered the SS & SE set too. I'm pumped. Can't wait.... <squeal with delight>
It would be amazing if this hit all tier unlocks.  A bit expensive otherwise but I don't care. I'm a sucker for sure. HAHA

you guys pull the trigger?

Welcome aboard. 

It is definitely expensive, and I'm a little worried at the slow pace now.  I am not worried it will fund, but I am worried about how may of the tiers will be hit.  In 2 weeks it went from 50% backed to only 56% backed.  That is a big slow down.  Thankfully there will be a big jump in the final days.  So as I said I am not worried about it funding.

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:35:59 PM by bishop »