JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What's your feeling on pricing for Joes?  (Read 3047 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
What's your feeling on pricing for Joes?
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:59 AM »

I've been doing some buying lately from shows and online.  It got me to thinking and examining the current "trends" in pricing for Joes.  Unfortunately there is only really Ebay, online stores and forums to compare. 

I've noticed a trend towards a stubborn/unrealistic fixation on pricing.  Outside of individual collectors/fans who are selling at low prices to move stuff most others have settled on what I think is probably double to triple "realistic" pricing.  I notice it even moreso with Canadian sellers.  It seems like there is a belief that the fandom is bigger and more willing to spend than it really is.  I know with the TF fandom there is a bigger base to sell to and as such prices can swing to greater degrees, but the demand isn't there in our fandom and the pricing just doesn't reflect that.

Of course exclusives and "rare" items will always go for great prices, but the average items just seem to be priced too high.  I find it is actually more prevelant with 2000 and later items than with "vintage" items. 

I understand that there is a desire to recoup costs for the online businesses, but a lot of them just seem to be pricing at amounts that don't move items ever.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there are others.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
Re: What's your feeling on pricing for Joes?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »

I always though I was reasonable. I know some online and toy show guys are really too high.
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »

Quote from: "condor knight"
I always though I was reasonable. I know some online and toy show guys are really too high.

HEY!!!  NO DEALERS!!!!! :lol:

Please Hal, if I thought you were unreasonable I wouldn't have spent hundreds at your site. 

I should have said this isn't meant to be a blanket statement for all, because of course there are exceptions to my generalization.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »

Its hit and miss, some comic stores charged an arm and a leg for 25th, Heroes World at Hwy 7 and Warden was selling 15-30 dollars on singles.  While Silver Snail on queen st. was selling for 8-10 (when they were first released, they raised them to 12 or 13 several months ago).  Planet x was charging 10 dollars for singles to start, then raised them to 15ish.  Some sellers definatly try to take advantage of the popularity, and I found it really annoying that they would start raising the prices of singles when they sold them cheaper before, and especially taking into account our Dollar is worth a lot more then it use to be.  You find some good prices here and there if you are patient though, last year at Canadian Joe Con we had 5 dollar singles, and many online stores are clearance 25th like BBTS, you can get some cheap fodder there.  BST on forums though have been very good to me, gotten very good prices on things I need, and you can always negotiate with them.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »

I have over paid on single cards more often then I would like to admit.  My main online sellers is toywiz.com and bigbadtoystore.com, were I have over paid and sometimes under paid (Not Often enough  :lol:) for figures.
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »

I think a fair price for 1 moc fnew figure is $7.00. $10.00 is way too much.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:34 AM »

As per Wal-Mart computers, POC figures are showting 6.88 in the US.  Expect to pay 9 here, what with exchange and all...............
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »

Quote from: "pdaat"
As per Wal-Mart computers, POC figures are showting 6.88 in the US.  Expect to pay 9 here, what with exchange and all...............
::)

I just called a Canadian Wal-Mart with a sku for the new figures and the price is $7.92.  YEAH!!!!!! ;D ;D :wink:
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »

Sweet, I hope TRU will also be that price.
Lurking

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Sweet, I hope TRU will also be that price.
I would bet 8.99

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »

Just keep in mind, Wal-Mart goes below market on all their stuff to entice bargain-hunters.

I'm more inclined to spend a couple extra bucks at TRU cuz I like TRU.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »

The biggest problem with some dealers is they are out of touch with the collecting community and think GIJoe products command a premium.  The dealers like Hal and Mike are collectors and enthusiast themselves and have a strong ear to the community to know what works and what is unreasonable.  I know dealer who has been sitting on a large inventory of vintage Joes and vehicles because he acquired them thinking there was a huge return to be made but soon realized people will only pay a little over fair market value.    Collectors guides are the best way to see what price range you are willing to pay.

As for new Joes.  Hasbro themselves admitted they over stepped the price point(but needed a big return) on the Movie figures and sold less than expected.  They promised the new line would be more reasonable.  I still think $8-9 bucks for a figure is too much.  $6-7 maybe.  I just hope they distribute evenly so scalpers don't scoop the hard to find figures and sell them for outlandish prices.  I don't mind paying $15-20 for a rare chase figure but any more than that--forget it. 
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!