JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Oreobuilder's Custom's Thread  (Read 12207 times)

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Oreobuilder's Custom's Thread
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

I decided to jump on the bandwagon and create my own catch-all customs thread.

You can see more pics and more info on my blog: http://oreobuildersblog.blogspot.ca/

I'll start with a few recent ones.

Enjoy!

OB

30th Anniversary Bullhorn and Dial-Tone:

BattleCorps Gung-Ho and HEAT Vipers

1991 Dusty and Special Missions Mangler:

Classic Steel Brigade Trooper and 2000 Major Bludd:

Stayed tuned for more...

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Oreobuilder's Custom's Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »

nice
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »

I like them all. Fully painted modern era customs is not what I usually like to enjoy, but your stuff looks particularly fresh. You don't post often but when you do, it sure blows me away, just like Prince's stuff that also takes me by surprise. I'm curious of what you're going to be doing next to those vehicles you acquired from me at the Toy Con  8) Let me know if you still need the Dragonfly, I have a feeling It's still going to be there for a long time ;D
2 + 2 = 22

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »

Love Mangler. Never seen him as a custom before. Nice.

Also like the Bullhorn and the late era Gung-Ho.

Really great stuff man!
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm glad you are enjoying these. I have several projects in the works right now. Some are larger than others, some figures, some vehicles, some groups of figures. So stay tuned  :)

LJ, I'll let you know about the Dragonfly. I have already put your Wolverine to good use. I just need to finish a few details and order some stickers and I'll be ready to show it off.

OB

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »

I dig these :)

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »

I decided to breathe some new life into an old vehicle. Thanks to Latin Joe, I picked up a Wolverine for a great price at Toycon last weekend. The first thing I did when I got home was take it apart, clean it and paint it. Just for kicks and giggles, I threw together a Sunbow style Cover Girl to go with it. I plan to swap out the head for something better, I'm not crazy about the 25th Scarlett head for this, but it will do for now.

Enjoy!

OB

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »

Wow, this is a natural vehicle to with the Mauler...! Why Hasbro never made one like this?!

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

Very nice customs!

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »

Thanks guys. Here is something new for you.

I created this for a the current Group Project over at Joecustoms.com. The subject is ''Small Playsets''. This entry isn't eligible because it is towable, so I decided to show it here. I call it the Mobile Radar System, or MRS, and I made a desert Breaker to go with it. It fits nicely with my other ''Project Retro'' figures and vehicles that I have done in the last few months. Breaker himself is loosely based of the art from the 1982 Pencil-by-Numbers book: http://www.yojoe.com/archive/nottoys/82pencilbynumbers.shtml. I skipped the green pants and went all brown to match my other desert O13.

Enjoy!

OB

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:04 AM »

That looks good. I'd buy it if it was in the store.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »

Here are a few I made for the latest Joecustoms.com Group Project. It was called Small Playsets. We needed to take inspiration from the classic playsets like the Bivouac, the FLAK, Checkpoint Alpha, etc. Here is what I came up with.

Enjoy!

OB

GI Joe Battle Corps Field Hospital
Lifeline tends to injured GI Joe soldiers at the Battle Corps Field Hospital. This play set includes Lifeline, sandbags, wooden reinforcements, camouflage tarp, cot, crates, medical supplies box, 2 water barrels, diagnostic computer, weapon rack with 3 rifles and medical emergency case.

This set was one of my first ideas for this project. Some of the inspiration came from watching “The Pacific” (HBO mini-series). I tried to reproduce the feel of the 1984-85 play sets with this one. I wanted something that looked right at home with the Bivouac or the Watch Tower.

Cobra Ballistic Missile Silo
On Cobra Island, Cobra Commander has ordered his SCUD-Vipers to prepare to launch ballistic missiles at GI Joe targets. This play set includes SCUD-Viper, control room, silo hatch and Cobra intercontinental ballistic missile.

I bought a couple of cheap LAWs off eBay recently. They were beat up with old stickers. I figured I could use them for customs. As I was taking them apart to wash them, I was reminded of a missile silo hatch. This play set is the result of that inspiration. The fact that the SCUD-Viper would be fried the instant the missile launched strikes me as the kind of ridiculous setup that we would have gotten in 1980’s Joes.

Cobra Viper Lockdown
Cobra has captured GI Jane and has locked her up in the dungeon of their secret desert temple. This play set includes GI Jane, Cobra Viper Guard, Cobra dungeon, weapons rack with rifles, table, 2 chairs and computer.

I spotted the True Heroes Pirates play sets a while back and waited for a sale to pick them up. I wanted to use some of the elements for the ''Small Playsets'' Group Project at Joecustoms.com. I remembered the DTC Viper Lockdown and this play set was born. I have also been looking for way to make a VvV era new-sculpt Viper and this gave me an excuse to throw one (or three) together.

Cobra Island Security Checkpoint
Cobra Night Watch Troopers control, search and inspect vehicle traffic on Cobra Island through Checkpoint Python. Play set includes Cobra Night Watch Trooper, checkpoint building, wooden barricade, 2 cones, Cobra flag and tank barrier.

Oddly enough, the inspiration for this play set came from a recent trip to Mexico. After seeing tollbooths and Policia Federal on several roads and highways, I thought that Cobra Island would probably have a similar network of Police/Security Vipers that control traffic, inspect vehicles for contraband or search for infiltrators. After looking through my spare fodder, this play set was born. It is a simple idea, but I’m pretty happy with the result.

Cobra Night Watch Troopers:

Dino-Hunter Lookout Post
The GI Joe Dino Hunter team keeps track of the dinosaurs on Dr Mindbender’s Island from the Dino Hunters Lookout Post. This play set includes Lowlight with infrared visor, tower, searchlight, dinosaur, barrels, dinosaur cage, weapons crate with rifles, grenade launcher, combat knife and shovel.

This old guard/watch tower is from a fodder lot I bought a while back. I wasn’t using it for anything. This project gave me an excuse to give it a new life. I wanted to use more obscure themes that don’t have play sets, so I went with Dino-Hunters. I added the cage and the diorama accessories in matching colors and this one came together pretty well.