JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: McFarlane Toys = broken  (Read 3223 times)

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:50:34 AM »

I was moving some stuff around on my none Joe shelf and I noticed the Matrix AUP Mech was looking a little limp.  I picked it up only to find that both of the upper shoulder joints were broken, and most of the "points of articulation" are now super loose?

Is this how McFarlane toys age?  I must admit I only own 2 or three of his product this being the largest of the bunch and the only one that actually had some POA that made it more than just a statue.  But I would take a yellowed Storm Shadow over a toy that decays on the shelf in less than 3 years.  My only option now is to glue it back together in a pose that I find suitable, and make my action figure into a model kit.

Glad I picked this guy up at Toys Toys Toys after they had heavily discounted him (10 or 15$ is what I think I paid)  But I would have been pissed if I had forked out the original $40ish bucks for him, or if I went out of my way to me a completist with this line.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 09:00:16 AM »

....and now we know why I don't carry McFarlane items.

:-)
Mike

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 03:42:59 PM »

MY  mech  broke  at the  waist one  day...  just  tipped over  on top  of my fridge  and  snap.. in two.   also  most of the  hydrolic hoses  have  come unglued.  Talk about a POS..  I"m  glad  i  only   traded  a handfull of   mid range figures  for this.

THough on the posative side..  if anyone  needs or  wants the parts  for a custom...  lmk    and  i'll  give it to you  at the next  joe meet.
Zinthos.

BludChylde

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »

I do believe the APU mech has had the most complaints of any McF product in terms of QC over on their forum.

And the complaints were all that were listed here. Broken shoulder joints and waists snapping. Although most of the complaints were that this was happening while taking the figs out of their packages.

Last McF fig I bought was the Reborn 2 Mandarin Spawn. The sword sheath had broke in package, returned it to WalMart, ended up going through every Mandy they had in stock all with broken sheaths. On the last one I just e-mailed McF customer service for a replacement sheath. 2 weeks later I recieved in the mail another broken sheath and some hockey pucks (which I no longer have thanks to my exgirlfriend).

Its bad enough that all they seem to make anymore is statues, but its even worse that when they decided to go in that direction, QC took a major nosedive.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »

Uhh... I have the original Spawn figure... he's unbroken... Except the folding parts of his cape...
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 01:15:02 AM »

I hope my McFlarlane sports figures don't end up falling apart.  I don't play with them (because you can't).  They just collect dust on my display.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:38:49 AM »

My hockey figs are all still OK, but they don't really have any POA to break.
However I have found if they are leaning on any equipement (net/stick) it begins to bend, but it can be bent back with warm water.

After my crap AUP fell apart on the shelf I took a look at my leafs/habs to make sure they hadn't succumb to old age.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 11:37:06 AM »

Well for all you guys with Spawn toys breaking, uh, I have waves 1- 10 and then some MOC I willing to trade...  :shifty:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
McFarlane Toys = broken
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 07:55:31 PM »

I stay away from Mcfarlane stuff most of the time, usually because of the lack of articulation, but i've also experienced some breakage as well.

Typically they make poor plastic choices in the manufacturing of their stuff, couple with design tolerances that can be spotty.......it usually means some kind of breakage at some point.

They try to push the envelope in terms of what they do ( detail and finesse of parts) but it often bites them back.
I think this is why we seldom see any significant articulation on their stuff anymore.