JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: It's a sad sight.  (Read 6486 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« on: May 02, 2006, 10:52:59 AM »

I've spent the last few days packing up all my loose G.I.Joe figures and taking apart my Joe room. I've taken down all new newer figures, all the Cobra figure and I'm down to the ARAH Joes and MIB vehicles. Man that takes a long time to do. It's sad because I know a lot of this stuff I won't see for years as it's going to the back of the attic.

Hopefully I'll get to redo my rec room and I can set up the core ARAH figures again. I doubt the newer figures are going to be set up for a long time. Not unless I buy a bigger house and I'm not planning on doing that. Heck, 14 more years I the place I'm in now is paid off. Maybe then I'll buy a new place and this stuff will be pulled out of storage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: It's a sad sight.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 11:36:41 AM »

Quote from: ""morgardee""
Hopefully I'll get to redo my rec room and I can set up the core ARAH figures again. I doubt the newer figures are going to be set up for a long time.

Dude. IKEA shelves. If you do the inset cabinets, you aren't taking up any space at all, and they'll be a great room seller if you do decide to move. You can either put as many as you want in the case, or keep switching them out so that you can display different figures as you get borde of looking at the older ones.

Setting up figures doesn't have to be a space consuming thing. If you have a landing or a hallway in the house, you can find a place to set up your figures.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

JoeIndex

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thejoeindex.com/
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »

I really like the idea of rotating a display. It keeps things fresh, you get to look at new items whenever you want, and you don't get stuck with static displays that get stale way too quickly. I think Raptor's idea is a good one. Find a niche where you can throw up some shelves and "rotate your stock". Seems sound and feasible.
The JoeIndex - updated 02/18/2007

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:23:03 PM »

I have to say, even my mom was amazed at how little space my stuff takes up in Ikea shelves. It helps that Tank Girl can categorize and compress a landfill into a couple of trash cans, so my Joes, minis, and comics all found a place of their own.
Updated!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:11 PM »

How much are those shelves and how many figures can you display per case before it gets to packed.

Hey Raps, didn't you have a picture of them before? If so, uh, where?

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:32:32 PM »

They go for $150 each. Nine adjustable shelves each, can fit about five figures in an action pose or about seven guys standing at attention. I know aptor fit a Crimson HISS on his. I managed to fit 20th anniversary Optimus Prime side by side with Vector Prime, and no less than fifteen Back-Stop figures (including the transformer) huddled together.
Updated!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »

So about 50 figures per unit for $150.00? I think I'd try to build something myself before I do that. Still, anyone have any pics?

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »

You can fit six figures back and seven figures across in parade position. 11 figures per shelf if you want to display them well with equipment. Mine have 10 shelves if you count the bottom one.

I can't find the other pics of my cases right now, so I'll just have to take new ones. You can fit an amazing number of figures a lot of the small to mid sized vehicles, and a lot of fun into the displays.

I really want to see Scrams new set up when it gets done. Or should I say Tina's. ;-) Get picture takin, or do I have to drive up to Quebec to see them...

My shelves are on the landing going down to the basement. Nothing could fit there at all, so it would have been wasted space without them. But you don't have to go with the $150 shelves. You can find all sorts of thinner shelves that you can use. Almost any hangable media shelf will do, it's all in where you put it in order to avoid overcrowding. You could do it easily with the $35 black media shelves from Walmart as long as you didn't care about them being glassed in.

I feel like coming over and doing a Joe version of "While you were out" thing.  You've got a lot more space to display figures than you think.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 03:59:11 PM »

Oh, and the "winter cranks" pictures were actually displays that are currently on my shelves. I just opened up the doors and snapped a few pics. (Except for the baby one, that was Pluv's)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 06:12:09 PM »

Hey Dave,
Here's mine - same as Raps (even if he did steal my idea!) :shifty:

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »

Those shelves blew me away before, Mike. And now that I've tried to set-up my own guys and have to deal with "set one up, knock two down", I'm even more impressed. You've managed to pack twice as many figures onto a shelf as I have, without -having seen them personaly- overcrowding.

When my shelves are ready, I'll drag my buddy Axe over with his camera and get some quality pics done.
Updated!

TankGirl

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
It's a sad sight.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »

I just wanted to point out to Morgardee that one of the reasons the shelves are so expensive is because they have a glass door and glass shelves. Like Raptor was saying any shelves will do. We just decided to go with the closed in stuff to avoid having to dust really often and the glass shelves make it so we don't need lights. We have another closed in shelf unit in the living room (not for joes) and its pretty dark mot of the time, we'll have to add lights soon.

Scramble, you shouldn't post pictures, just to force Raptor to come to Montreal and see the shelves/toy room in person and at the same time I can repay his hospitality with some recipes of my own. I've been working on a chicken stir-fry with peanut sauce...It's close to perfection, I just have to see if I can repeat the process. One month later and your omelet is still on my mind.