JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: More Power Team Elite Reviews!  (Read 3285 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
More Power Team Elite Reviews!
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »

Hello again all, Ol Yeller has once again been a busy boy, and after visiting his local Big Lots came away with three more Power Team Elite items that he figures fellow Joe fans might be interested in.  For those who don't know or didn't read my earlier post, PTE has realistic military figures & vehicles in the 3 3/4" inch scale we all know and love.  So far the only place I've seen PTE items are at clearance store Big Lots, but I know they're available elsewhere.   They are very reasonably priced, with most vehicles ranging from $10-20 US, and large playsets top the line out at $30.  The figures aren't so great...but I've been pretty impressed with the vehicles so far, and some of the weapons are pretty cool.

Like I said, I've got three items for ya: the howitzer, the patrol boat-river, and the Chenowth-style desert buggy.  Let's start with the howitzer. 

You'll have to forgive my lack of artillery knowledge; I searched online and could not find the exact cannon this toy is modeled after, but I know it exists...because they have one as a memorial in one of the parks in my hometown. 

This is a BIG GUN.  While not as massive as say, the Thunderclap's gun, the whole toy itself is almost exactly as long as the Mean Dog.  It makes the Mountain Howitzer look itty-bitty by comparison.  The barrel of the howitzer itself is about 18 inches long.  Uh oh, I just realized I'm using American standards of measurement on a Canadian website... :-[

The howitzer sits on a trailer that has four dual wheels on the back, and there is a small hitch with single wheels on either side that can attach to the front for transport.  Other features include elevation and rotation of the gun, a moveable shell cradle (?? Again, I'm not an artillery person but it looks like this device would assist with loading and unloading the gun) and an opening hatch on the breech.  This is one of the few electronic PTE items out there, as pressing a button on the left side of the cannon near the breech causes a loud firing sound, followed by an explosion.  A red light in the barrel also lights up when "firing." 

Realism suffers a little bit.  The legs that would fold out to stabilize the howitzer during firing are permanently locked in the transport position.  Also, the howitzer doesn't seem to be made as of sturdy a plastic as Joe toys or even the other PTE offerings.  And the way the cannon is held at its elevation makes me shudder: it's the old system where a flexible piece of plastic attached to the bottom of the barrel locks in to a centered gear piece and clicks into place as you raise or lower the barrel.  I hate this system because repeated raisings/lowerings will wear out the flexible plastic and you'll get a droopy barrel (though to its credit this PTE item has a lot sturdier plastic used for this than other vehicles I have seen...like the big green The Corps tank that's out there).

I checked the howitzer's Joe compatiblity...while the hitch would not fit on my Mean Dog (which has a thicker, more reinforced hitch post than earlier vehicles) it WOULD fit on my Vamp rather easily with some gentle maneuvering.  So your older Joe vehicles could easily haul this bad boy into battle. 

The howitzer also comes with various figures, vests, weapons, and other accessories, but I consider them more of a bonus than a part of the toy...especially because the figures are absolute crap compared to Joes.  Overall, this isn't a bad vehicle, and it's nice to have a realistic artillery piece for your Joes to use.  While not as great of a value as some of the other PTE stuff at $18 US, it's still worth a look. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: More Power Team Elite Reviews!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:52:07 PM »

Next up is the Patrol Boat-River, or PBR.  This almost all black beauty is almost a foot and a half long, and has some really nice features.  At the front of the bow is a large anchor tied to a fairly thick piece of black string.  Right behind the anchor's mount is a tripod with what appears to be a .30 cal machine gun attachment.  Right behind the space for the gunner is the windshield.  Behind it is a decently detailed open cockpit with a steering wheel and space for two figures to stand.  Behind the cockpit is a large removable hatch.  While not very deep, the space beneath the hatch could definitely hold PLENTY of Joe rifles.  Behind the hatch are three separate railings, placed one after another with space for two figures to stand side-by-side in between each.  At the very tail end of the stern are two large antennas, and a space and notches to mount the included double outboard motors. 

Likes?  Well, I didn't have a chance to test it, but it looks like this baby would actually float.  I also love the way this PBR looks overall, and the features like the gun mount up front and the removable hatch really rock. 

Dislikes?  The big anchor up front is pretty neat...until you realize you'll have to untie it/cut it off if you want to remove it, and it's WAY too big to store in the stern.  While it's kinda neat that the outboards are removable, they don't stay on very well and their attachment system is nothing short of stupid (its really hard to explain, you'd have to see it to understand).  And I know they did it for realism, but the realistic hull shape means that when not in water your PBR will have a permanent list to one side. 

Despite the longer list of dislikes than likes above, I actually really like this vehicle.  It just looks awesome, and it makes me want to fill it with multiple RoC Deep-Sixes and 25th Torpedoes as a custom black-clad Cutter guides them in on an insert.  Besides, this bad boat is only $14 US and it's over twice as long as a Devilfish, with room for at least 9 figures.  Hard to beat that!
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »

Finally we have the gem of the group and possibly of the whole PTE line: the Chenowth-style Desert Patrol Vehicle. 

Very nicely detailed (right down to the dual shocks on the rear wheels) the DPV is about the same size as a VAMP.  It's just a smidgen longer and wider.  There are three seating positions: driver, passenger, and gunner.  The gunner sits in an elevated position in the center of the vehicle at the rear.  This vehicle's armed to the freaking teeth too.  The gunner has access to both a big .50 mounted on the front of his position and a smaller machine gun on the rear to keep pursuers at bay (the gunner's seat can swivel 360 degrees to fire both front and rear).  The passenger has a Mk19 40mm grenade launcher mounted in front of him, complete with a belt of grenades that runs over to an ammo box stored in a rack on the driver's side of the vehicle.  The ammo box and grenade belt are fully removable, and there are storage racks on BOTH sides of the DPV.  Two fully removable LAWs (that's Light Antitank Weapon, not Laser Artillery Weapon) are mounted on the rollcage above the driver and passenger, respectively. 

There are two minor complaints with this vehicle.  The rear-mounted machine gun doesn't really have anywhere to go when not in use, and though it can flip down, that doesn't seem to solve anything as it doesn't have a place to go flipped down, either.  The other complaint is that there is a moveable rack on the very rear of the vehicle...and I can't seem to figure out what it's for.  It folds down all the way, but not up.  And it won't stay folded up, either.

I flat out love this DPV.  I've always considered VAMP style vehicles the perfect size: large enough to have some good play value but small enough to go anywhere.  The DPV is no exception, and it out VAMPs the VAMP.  It holds one more passenger, has way more armament, and more detail, too.  And the very best part about the DPV is that it only set me back a paltry $9 US.  At that price I'm probably gonna add two more for a desert fast-attack force able to put a hurtin' on anything short of a column of tanks (though they could break out the LAWs for that!) 

Pics:http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71/olyeller01/Power%20Team%20Elite/
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:55:18 AM »

The Buggy was the first PTE vehicle I got. I HAD to get it. It is awesome wrapped in badass with a side dish of pwn salad.

Yours appears a lot "sandier" than mine, though. Mine's pretty much molded in dark gray with a lighter gray sprayed over areas.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »

Quote from: "Jay"
The Buggy was the first PTE vehicle I got. I HAD to get it. It is awesome wrapped in badass with a side dish of pwn salad.

Yours appears a lot "sandier" than mine, though. Mine's pretty much molded in dark gray with a lighter gray sprayed over areas.

Agreed on the awesomeness, Jay.  Do you have any idea what the rack on the back of the buggy is?  And do you have any other PTE stuff?  I'm VERY tempted by the big command post.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »

Wow, very nice vehicles. I think the closest thing that came close to this for its degree of realism was the Gi joe DTC Night OPS. Really, I can't believe this exists.
2 + 2 = 22

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
Agreed on the awesomeness, Jay.  Do you have any idea what the rack on the back of the buggy is?  And do you have any other PTE stuff?  I'm VERY tempted by the big command post.
I don't know about the rack. I guess you can stack some gas cans back there with rope.
I also have an ATV, a dirtbike and the other motorcycle and the Command Post. Good cheap vehicles and a nice base for dios.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....