JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!  (Read 27786 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »

Damn. I want one of those Big Lob cards.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »

Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
Anyone else suffering con withdrawl?  Im already eager to go back but we have so long to go lol
ohhhh yeah, me too, total withdrawl.   2011 Canadian Joe Convention can't get here fast enough.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:58 PM »

Quote from: "night force cynic"
Quote from: "NeoDragonKnight"
Anyone else suffering con withdrawl?  Im already eager to go back but we have so long to go lol
ohhhh yeah, me too, total withdrawl.   2011 Canadian Joe Convention can't get here fast enough.

Speaking of which, given that US Joe con is now announced in late March in Orlando, will the Canada Con be returning to it's traditional first weekend in May?

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »

Quote from: "roshan"
Speaking of which, given that US Joe con is now announced in late March in Orlando, will the Canada Con be returning to it's traditional first weekend in May?

According to this, no:

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
I don't want it back.
I'd rather have it in the summer now where people can book vacations, kids are out of school, and the weather is nicer. ;)

Martin

Editor

• View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »

got to read the comic today, brilliant stuff.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"
Quote from: "night force cynic"
Latinjoe22 made this work of art, I could only briefly admire it   

:timbits:
Seriously, LJ is a God! From head to toes..  :-*

It was only suitable that NFC's custom Alley Viper shirt stands side by side my framed custom cardart. Thanks for posting this picture man, it does bring back old memories. It made me remembered that I forgot to leave the damn thing next to my customs....I guess it's a curse thing: First The Mike three years ago tells me not to put it next to my contest entry (and yes he had very good reasons), then me forgetting now! But seriously I was so distracted that day, except for having fun of course!

NFC: Remember the first time we spoke at the Canadian Joe Meet back in 2008? Larry Hama and Loo were having this discussion about the Cold War or something like that, and you really wanted to ask him a question about Cobra-La but weren't so sure. When you actually told me what the question was, me and somebody else (passing by, who filmed you guys talking) loved the question so much we wanted to hear his answer, so that's when you went for the kill. What was the exact question again? I'm getting old...
2 + 2 = 22

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

I was at 2009 Can Joe Con and I was at this years Can Joe Con.  Comparing the 2 shows I enjoyed this years show more.  The Sheraton is a great location to have the convention.  It is easy to get to.  It is also big and bright.  The vendor floor has lots of space for the dealers and convention goers to get around and browse.  There were a couple vendors from the 2009 Joe Con that I would have liked to see at this years convention, but I know there are a lot of shows and it is not cheap to get around to them all.

I only have one complaint about this years show and that is the amount of time I had to wait in line.  I showed up just after 9am.  I had already completed the registration form so I wouldn't have to wait to register.  But we still had to wait.  I wasn't interested in purchasing the convention exclusive, so I wish there was a way I could have bypassed the exclusive line to get into the show to see the vendor floor.  When we did get in it took a couple minutes to pay for admission and get our passes.  That is my only complaint and it is just a mild inconvenience, I just couldn't wait to get in there.

Many thanks to the guys who put on the show.  I know it is a lot of hard work and it is greatly appreciated.  This year is bigger than last year.  And next year will be bigger again.  We all need to get the word out about Canadian G.I. Joe Convention.  Yo Joe!

night force cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2010, 08:33:53 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
NFC: Remember the first time we spoke at the Canadian Joe Meet back in 2008? Larry Hama and Loo were having this discussion about the Cold War or something like that, and you really wanted to ask him a question about Cobra-La but weren't so sure. When you actually told me what the question was, me and somebody else (passing by, who filmed you guys talking) loved the question so much we wanted to hear his answer, so that's when you went for the kill. What was the exact question again? I'm getting old...
I'm getting old too, I can't remember the exact question either.   I think it had something to do with if he ever worried about his job continuing to write the Joe comic when he took his stand on refusing to use Cobra-La in the comics in the 80s and if he actually didn't mind using Nemesis Enforcer just once for the 2008 comic pack (that was a well written piece of comic literature IMO).  I THINK the question was something like that.   Does that sound right?

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »

I wanted to ask his if he based Stormavik's death scene from the ending from "Bridge on the River Kwai".
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »

y'know I don't think I've replied yet to this thread.  Mike and his team deserve every accolade we can think of.  It's definitely not an easy task putting a show like this together and these guys really work their asses off for us.  

For the last two years running it has been an absolute pleasure to converse with NFC - this guy is the last comic standing.  And it was really great to see Raptor - even if he did wear G.I. Joe Movie trousers.  Pete I didn't know you got married dude, congrats!  Now you don't have to commute from Ajax to Woodbridge/Markham to visit ;).  Seeing Jon S as Chuckles made the con for me right there.

I got to meet supernova, Pluv, and Lance Spudnik for the first time - hope to see more JC presence at future cons.

Not sure if there's a suggestions thread but I have a comment:

I think there were early promo materials stating that the line-up will start at 6:00 AM (correct me if I'm wrong).  If that's the case, then the Sheraton should have really enforced the rule and not have people loiter on their property since 12 midnight.  Sorry if you were one of those early birds but you guys weren't following the rules outlined.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:39:54 AM by Bandalero »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:54 AM »

Quote from: "roshan"

While we currently don't have a date secure for the 2011 Canadian JoeCon, I can assure you that it will NOT be in May. The Summer was very very good to us and it allows people to bring kids, take vacations freely as to not miss any school or take time off work during an "off" season.

Expect it to be in either June, July, or August again.

....and no, I have no clue when I'll be able to announce it. Hopefully before the end of this year.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"

I think there were early promo materials stating that the line-up will start at 6:00 AM (correct me if I'm wrong).  If that's the case, then the Sheraton should have really enforced the rule and not have people loiter on their property since 12 midnight.  Sorry if you were one of those early birds but you guys weren't following the rules outlined.

This was recinded, the promos werent updated to reflect this however, but it was stated by Mike that he spoke to the Sheraton people and that we could line up whenever we felt like doing so.

http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/http ... 829#p41829
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:23:51 AM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"