JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Canadian Questions  (Read 13451 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: Canadian Questions
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »

Quote from: "haggis"
I don't believe there are Sherwin-Williams stores up here but I'm sure I have bought the paint before from other retailers.

Umm... Haggis? Ryamal Road by Upper Wentworth pal. ;-) IN our own city.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »

Quote from: "Editor"
Quote from: "ARROW"

But to give you an idea of something on this:
I currently live in what is described as the 9th most dangerous city in the world, and the most dangerous city in Canada.

Now, this is something of a running joke, because these "statistics" are based upon presumptions made via population.
Last year, my city had two murders.
The two largest cities in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver) had something like 60 and 40 murders respectively.
IIRC, the two murders in my city were stabbings.

That said ARROW, we know that titles of that nature exist for headlines and soundbites, and don't always reflect the actual place.

Take in point Surrey, BC. It was labeled the Car Theft Capital of North America a couple years ago, and that title help to reinforce a number of old out-dated misconceptions about Surrey that people in BC and parts of the rest of the country talk about making it seem like a crime infested hellhole.

The actual fact is that Surrey is one of the fastest growing communities in North America. it has a lower per-person crime rate that most of the other cities around Vancouver, and the whole point about the car theft isn't that cars were being stolen here, but that a number of gangs were all using the Peach Arch border crossing (Surrey, BC/Blaine, Washington) to smuggle the cars into the US, and that the Surrey RCMP were recovering a number of stolen vehicles from all over the Western provinces as they were coming thru.

I've lived in South Surrey for , and I know it well enough......and  all of Surrey largely gets undeserved bad press.
Most Lower Mainland communities do, even the DTES..........okay, well maybe not the DTES.

haggis

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
Quote from: "haggis"
I don't believe there are Sherwin-Williams stores up here but I'm sure I have bought the paint before from other retailers.

Umm... Haggis? Ryamal Road by Upper Wentworth pal. ;-) IN our own city.

Well there you go!  I knew I'd used the paint before...I try to stay out of the less cosmospolitain neighbourhoods though, Mike!   :o

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 01:31:32 AM »

I've lived in South Surrey for , and I know it well enough......and  all of Surrey largely gets undeserved bad press.
Most Lower Mainland communities do, even the DTES..........okay, well maybe not the DTES.

Lived in the heart of Whalley for 20+ years, I seen a lot of the worst Surrey has had, and it's no where as bad as the rumor mill makes it.
But the DTES, there is a reason it's called the worst postal code in the country. My GF just quit her job, where one of the buildings she had to goto is right on the edge of the DTES, and to be blunt, I'm glad i'm not having to worry about her being down there anymore.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »

Quote from: "Editor"

Lived in the heart of Whalley for 20+ years, I seen a lot of the worst Surrey has had, and it's no where as bad as the rumor mill makes it.
But the DTES, there is a reason it's called the worst postal code in the country. My GF just quit her job, where one of the buildings she had to goto is right on the edge of the DTES, and to be blunt, I'm glad i'm not having to worry about her being down there anymore.

Most of the animation studios I've worked at have been set up in the DTES, and its simply because the real estate is cheap there. Going to/from work is a matter of doing it during daylight hours, and wearing a "war face" expression when walking the streets. Thankfully, never been hassled in all the years working down there, but the streets are mine-fields of used syringes......and worse.

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »

As an American who moved to Canada I find this interesting. Where I am from in Oregon lots of people have guns, it's a hunting mecca, but I don't think it's taken nearly as casually as it is in the South. I don't think Oregonians are known for carrying concealed weapons, or if that's even allowed. I have had friends with gun collections though, and it definitely is a part of the culture, though more of the older generation than my own.

Not being able to get guns was one of the greatest things about moving to Ontario, I genuinely feel far safer as far as gun crime is concerned. The legislation I find much more lifestyle-infringing is the regulation of beer and wine. I don't need a gun ever, but it'd be nice to get beer at 7-11.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 08:42:48 AM »

Quote from: "Kronz"

Not being able to get guns was one of the greatest things about moving to Ontario, I genuinely feel far safer as far as gun crime is concerned. The legislation I find much more lifestyle-infringing is the regulation of beer and wine. I don't need a gun ever, but it'd be nice to get beer at 7-11.

Now that is something I agree with. If you have to be of age to buy smokes, then why not sell beer as well. Yes, I know kids will try to shop lift beer and it might be able to pass fake ID to a guy at 7-11 but if they locked the beer up (at the retailers expense) then it might work.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

I would also prefer to be able to go to the shop a half block from my place to get drinks rather than take the trip over to one of the CB&W shops, but remember the fact we can't have beer sales at corner shops as thanks to our wonderful government wanting to control the sale of alcohol and collect the extra taxes that our friends to the south don't need to bother worring about.

or in the BC case:
Quote from: "www.bcliquorstores.com"
Organizational Overview

In British Columbia, there are two branches of government that have responsibility for the liquor industry: the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB) and the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB). Both of these branches report to the Ministry of Housing and Social Development. The LCLB issues licences for making and selling liquor and supervises the service of liquor in licensed establishments. To learn more about the LCLB, visit their Web site at www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/lclb.

The LDB, under the authority of the Liquor Distribution Act, has the sole right to purchase beverage alcohol, both in and out of British Columbia, in accordance with the Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act (Canada). The LDB is responsible for the importation, distribution and retailing of beverage alcohol in British Columbia. The LDB operates approximately 200 government liquor stores throughout the province; two distribution centres, one in Vancouver and one in Kamloops; and a head office facility in Vancouver. The LDB also authorizes the sale of liquor in rural communities by Rural Agency Stores.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

GOVERNMENT controlled booze sales?  That makes me sad for you guys.   :'(  And there I thought that the TABC (Texas Alchoholic Beverage Commission) and its merry band of Booze Nazis was bad enough.  I suppose you have restricted purchasing times too?  In TX you can only buy liquor from Noon-9pm (and not at all on Sunday).  Other alcohol sales are allowed from 7am to midnight (or 1 on Saturdays).  Many bars have special permits that allow them to stay open until 2, but usually only in the bigger cities.  Also there are various "after hours" ordinances that prevent you from drinking in public view after a certain time.

Meanwhile, next door in Louisiana, you can gamble, purchase Jack Daniels at a corner store, walk out of a bar with a beer (as long as its in a plastic container), and there's never a cutoff time.  And all the lawmakers wonder why everyone goes to Louisiana to party.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 06:36:26 PM »

In Oregon liquor is only sold by the state too. I don't really care about that, I just want beer at the convenience store. Back home you can get beer from 7am to 2am 365 days a year. But liquor is only Mon-Sat, bankers hours. Here in Ontario the liquor end of things is actually more liberal than in Oregon, you can get a bottle at the government-run liquor store 7 days a week, and they will even run special hours on holidays like NYE so everyone has a fair shot. Since I rarely drink anything stronger than a beer, my desire is to just be able to pick up a few things at 7-11, you know, a couple Big Bites, a bag of Doritos and a case of lager. Now I gotta make two stops.

But Olyeller, the worst part is the price...I actually cut back my beer drinking 95% or more just on account of the cost: a case of Budweiser (24 cans/bottles) is over $40 here. In Oregon I used to get 30 packs at 12.99 all summer long. Sigh.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »

Quote from: "Kronz"
But Olyeller, the worst part is the price...I actually cut back my beer drinking 95% or more just on account of the cost: a case of Budweiser (24 cans/bottles) is over $40 here.

:o  $40 for a case of beer?!?!?  That's freakin RIDICULOUS!  The most expensive beer I drink, Landshark, is $8 a six pack, which would be $32 a case.  I think Budweiser is like $17 or $18 a case.  When I was in college at Sam Houston State (which for some reason had some of the cheapest beer anywhere) a 30 pack of Keystone would cost you $9.99, Busch & Busch Light were $12.99, and 30 Buds or Bud Lights were $15.99.  Those were the days.  And might help explain why I didn't graduate from Sam Houston  ;D  (I did graduate later though from a very small college, so no, I'm not a total drunken idiot.  Just a partial one).
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »

I'm assuming you guys are talking in Canadian currency correct? Why would anyone want to buy beer at 7-11? seriously can you imagine the mark-up. In Manitoba the gov't controls the liquor and its still alright for price, just depends on what you drink you can get really cheap beer if you want. I remember friends buying it in two litre bottles.
 Drinks at bars used to be a $1.25 all night. That changed to a $2.25 min when some guy got hammered and threw himself off a bridge. (like that stops people from getting drunk.) Been to the States a few times in the past years, and pick up a good bottle nice and cheap at the border. However the need to be 21 in the States sucks (at least it does in North Dakota).