JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Canadian Questions  (Read 13449 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Questions
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »

Quote from: "B"
I'm assuming you guys are talking in Canadian currency correct?

However the need to be 21 in the States sucks (at least it does in North Dakota).

I was talking American currency on my end.  But yeah the drinking age in the whole US is 21 and it does suck (not that it matters to me anymore).  If you're 18-20 here you can get sent by the military to some Godforesaken place to get shot up but you can't go buy a cold brew.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot.  What do you guys think of the way South Park treats you?  I kinda doubt you're all beady eyed, that your whole heads split in half when you talk, and that you call each other "buddy, guy, & friend" all the time.  And if you've never seen South Park, well, never mind.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:55:58 PM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 01:09:05 AM »

B, in the States 7-11 and other convenience stores follow the market price for beer, really. It's the one thing that is not heavily marked up like the rest of their inventory. Beer sells in huge volume at the convenience level. Even with mark up in some places, beer in Oregon is half the  price of beer in Ontario. That's more than any convenience store markup would ever be. I can see the logic of keeping such an overpriced item behind secure lines, the more overpriced something is, the more likely it is to be stolen. I worked overnight in a convenience store in Oregon and was never robbed for beer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »

I think for most Canadians a lot of the taxes placed on booze and cigs end up being spent on health care which costs a lot of money for the amount of people we have in this country.
So I don't mind paying a bit more to avoid paying huge medical bills.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 12:17:09 PM »

Oh yeah and I almost forgot.  What do you guys think of the way South Park treats you?  I kinda doubt you're all beady eyed, that your whole heads split in half when you talk, and that you call each other "buddy, guy, & friend" all the time.  And if you've never seen South Park, well, never mind.

South Park doesn't bother us. On the other hand, you might be glad you don't get Rick Mercer Report down there....

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »

Quote from: "B"
I think for most Canadians a lot of the taxes placed on booze and cigs end up being spent on health care which costs a lot of money for the amount of people we have in this country.
So I don't mind paying a bit more to avoid paying huge medical bills.

The healthcare thing is a BIG thing going on down here right now.  Obama's trying to socialize it and a lot of people are really up in arms about it.

I personally hope it isn't socialized because WHEN has anything the (US anyway) government has gotten involved in turned out for the better in the past couple of decades?  Does the system need reform?  Yes.  I had to go to the ER, waited for 6 1/2 hours to get in, which, by the time I got in my problem (a nasty spider bite on my leg that got infected and swelled up to around the size of a baseball) had subsided (swelling on your leg goes away when you sit on your rear for 6 1/2 hours, apparently).  They didn't even lance the damn thing.  Instead it was, "here's some antibiotics and some pain pills, and oh yeah, that'll be $750."  Which of course I had to pay a $500 deductible on, so all that crap was $500.  If I hadn't been feeling so sick and gotten so scared because my whole leg swelled up?  Yeah, $20 for the doctor visit and another $10 for the pills.  So I quickly swore that the only way I would ever go back to an ER was in the back of an ambulance.

The other reason I hope US healthcare isn't socialized?  I worked my tail off to get where I am in management at a hell of a company.  I probably pay $500 a year for my healthcare, which I don't miss because it comes out of my check before I even get it.  If you ain't got a job so you ain't got no healthcare...well, get off your butt and go get one! 
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »

When I was in Windsor, Ontario, I noticed how much lower the quality of convenience stores was. Granted, Windsor is a city in a worse financial slump than most, but with comparable department stores and grocery stores, I couldn't figure out why the convenience stores were so ragged. Then my wife reminded me that convenience stores in Quebec (or d?paneurs) sold beer. I think she's right, that difference makes Quebec d?ps a lot of money and therefore the overall cleanliness and quality of stock is much higher.
Updated!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 11:28:03 PM »

You're probably right on the money, Scramble.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 04:36:16 PM »

All my beer is bought in the States.  You can't beat $13.99 for 30 cans.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

CF

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://mygijoewebsite.webs.com/
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
When I was in Windsor, Ontario, I noticed how much lower the quality of convenience stores was. Granted, Windsor is a city in a worse financial slump than most, but with comparable department stores and grocery stores, I couldn't figure out why the convenience stores were so ragged. Then my wife reminded me that convenience stores in Quebec (or d?paneurs) sold beer. I think she's right, that difference makes Quebec d?ps a lot of money and therefore the overall cleanliness and quality of stock is much higher.

I live in Windsor. did you live here to? We are in bad shape down here lots of people losts their jobs. My dad is lucky though he still has his at Chrysler. We just had a city strike that ended last month.

CF :cobra:
I LOVE THESE  :cobra:  \":timbits:\"  \":mrt:\"

Check out my site.
http://mygijoewebsite.webs.com/