JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: INTELLIGENCE: Indiana (warning, LOTS of pictures)  (Read 2606 times)

Rockhammer

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Joe Repro Parts
INTELLIGENCE: Indiana (warning, LOTS of pictures)
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »

So a few years ago, I entered my first customs in the G.i.Joe Collectors Convention contest (I didn't win anything, in case you were wondering, LOL). It's been a while, but recently I took more and better pictures of them, and I thought I'd share them here.

The concept was simple. Besides being a HUGE Joe collector and fan, I'm also a HUGE Indiana Jones fan. Loving the 3 3/4" scale, it occured to me to imagine what the 3 3/4" Indiana Jones toys may have been like, had Hasbro had the Lucasfilm license in the 80s intead of Kenner. Moreover, I thought: What if Indiana Jones characters had been made a part of the G.i.Joe line? Don't misinterpret me, it's all just whimsy (I'm well aware of the time period difference between the 30s and 40s and the 80s), but I decided to make everything period: Indy would have the card back of the earlier Joe series. So I did the customs below, including the blisters (through computer program manipulation of scanned book covers and movie posters). This was long before the Hasbro 3 3/4" Indiana Jones figures were even conceived... years before IJ and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

For these being my first (and thus far only) customs, I was pretty pleased on how they came out. I made mistakes of course (even if you can't see them in the pics; for instance I put the paint on too thick and I can hardly move the joints without the paint chipping or cracking).

Anyway, here are the pictures. I hope you like them.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Need custom reproduction or custom replacement G.i.Joe parts? Drop by www.joereproparts.com

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: INTELLIGENCE: Indiana (warning, LOTS of pictures)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »

WOW, those are awesome!  How did you make the cardback?
Lurking

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »

those are amazing, love how it looks as the whole carded package +1 :timbits:
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Rockhammer

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Joe Repro Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:15:29 PM »

Thanks, Bandonov and NeoDragonKNight!

Making the cardbacks took a while, but mostly for the image manipulation and labeling process. Making the physical cardback was relatively simple: I printed the finished image for the cardback (front and back, with filecard, etc.) in photo quality paper, and then used a spray adhesive to stick them to a comic book backing board. I used a rubber crafts roller to go over them a few times, to make sure there were no bubbles. Then, I used a circular blade trimmer to cut the board to the right size, and scissors to round the corners.
I bought 5 "repro" figure bubble blisters from a guy on ebay (there are actually quite a few suppliers, and at the time 5 was the minimum order). I could have made these myself, but I didn't want to mess with it--I didn't have a shop vac at the time, nor a set up for vacuu-forming. Buying them was faster and much cheaper.
Then I needed bubbles for the accessories. I couldn't find these for sale online, so I took them out of two carded Funskool Joe figures (which at the time were plentiful and cheap online). I cleaned any remains of coloring and cardboard from the accessory bubbles, and then used a strong paper glue to stick on "lip" of each bubble to the appropriate place in the card back, and a weak glue stick to stick the other lips (so that I could open them at will without causing damage).

If you want to know how I came up with the images, let me know. It'll be a long post, but I will be happy to tell how I did what I did, and what sofware tools I used.

By the way, here is the image of one of the card backs, including the filecard I wrote (based on the 3 first movies, and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV show).

Need custom reproduction or custom replacement G.i.Joe parts? Drop by www.joereproparts.com

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

:o This is so awesome! Great job man!!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »

Thanks for the info... When I start to make my own customs, I would love to put them on a cardback.  thank you for sharing!
Lurking