JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: TRU Exclusive Bench Press Review!  (Read 3866 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
TRU Exclusive Bench Press Review!
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:30:50 PM »

Hello Joe Canuckers, I have the latest in the patented line of Ol Yeller Reviews for you, this one on the Toys R Us exclusive Bench Press figure. 

Bench Press is outfitted in a dark gray shirt with the new Joe logo on the left breast, green camo pants, dark gray combat boots, a green camo jungle hat, a dark green backpack, a chainsaw, an axe, and a black riot shotgun with a pistol grip.  He also has a tattoo of an ammo belt around his left forearm.  I believe the headsculpt is new, but otherwise we have a mix of recycled parts.  The body is the same as wave 1 Heavy Duty's, the hat is from Pit Commando, the backpack is from Airborne, the chainsaw is of course from Buzzer, the axe is the same as the one included with the Crimson Neo Viper, and the shotgun is the same one included with the first 25th Flint.  Also included is the same BSL (Big, Stupid Launcher) that is included with Heavy Duty...it looks like a gatling gun but of ridiculous proportions. 

I really like this figure, much more than I liked Heavy Duty.  The body just seems to fit Bench Press much better than Heavy Duty, and the figure looks more in proportion for some reason.  Bench Press reminds me of a big, ripped American redneck that would probably drive a monster 4x4 F-350, and would love wading into battle barehanded and cracking Cobra skulls. 

There are three nitpicks I have with this figure...as big as he is, the Airborne backpack looks small on him.  I liked the bulkiness of the backpack on Airborne, and it seems like Hasbro picked it because of the bulkiness, but Bench Press is a big guy and that backpack is just kind of wussy on him.  Also, I don't know if this is an error, but one kneepad is gray and the other one is green camo.  ???  The other complaint is with the accessories.  I love the shotgun...but the axe and the chainsaw?  What, is Bench Press from the Forestry Service and the official GI Joe tree trimmer?  I would have loved some more big machine guns.  Bench Press needs an air-cooled .50, or a handheld Vulcan cannon...and no, the BSL doesn't count.  Fortuanately, Marauder can help properly outfit Bench Press.

Overall?  A big thumbs up to this figure.  Especially if you outfit him with some Marauder weapons that befit his size.

Pics...http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71/olyeller01/Figure%20Reviews/?action=view¤t=Picture004.jpg
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Exclusive Bench Press Review!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:57:40 AM »

The body is actually Bazooka's torso and arms, on ROC Heavy Duty's legs.
The head is from Clutch.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 01:25:03 AM »

The other complaint is with the accessories.  I love the shotgun...but the axe and the chainsaw?  What, is Bench Press from the Forestry Service and the official GI Joe tree trimmer?  I would have loved some more big machine guns. 

The chainsaw is actually a very useful tool, especially if the soldier is a military engineer. Its a great tool to clear obstacles or make them, gain entrances to places where you cannot use explosives, and for other tasks. Guns are fine and dandy, but a bit of variety in the gear, like a chainsaw, helps keep the figures interesting, imo.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:30:02 AM »

Funny how the overall look of this figure reminds me of TRAHC's Brawler. I like this figure actually maybe I'll end up getting it. Thanks!
2 + 2 = 22

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »

what's up with the tattoos coming out on figures nowadays? I guess its no longer just a 'nok thing.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »

Quote from: "B"
what's up with the tattoos coming out on figures nowadays? I guess its no longer just a 'nok thing.

The ironic thing is back in the original line(1980's-90's) tattoos were designed for several of the figures but the concept was scrapped to be politically correct since back then tattoos were taboo and heaven forbid a child had a tattooed action figure who uses violence to solve problems.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »

If anyone is picking up an extra Bench Press I'll gladly pay or trade for him. LMK

He looks great.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
The ironic thing is back in the original line(1980's-90's) tattoos were designed for several of the figures but the concept was scrapped to be politically correct since back then tattoos were taboo and heaven forbid a child had a tattooed action figure who uses violence to solve problems.
Gung-Ho got to keep his, at least.
But who else was planned to get a tattoo?
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »

I originally ordered Bench Press for a possible conversion into High-Tide(copperhead) but the second after I opened the package I knew I wasn't going to touch him. He just looks great.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia