JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Review - MEAN DOG - By Request  (Read 2719 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Vintage Review - MEAN DOG - By Request
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:19:28 AM »

Having learned my lesson in the “Off Topic” forums about talking crap about the Canadian national hockey team, I decided that it was time to try and earn back some timbits by returning to my reviews.  And I still owe a couple of requested reviews, so let’s get to those, shall we?

Any Joe lover knows that the later years of the line produced some…ahem…unique vehicles.  One of the more unique ones out there is the 1988 Mean Dog.  While Hasbro usually had some real or imagined weapons system in mind when they made a Joe toy, I can’t recall ever seeing one like the Mean Dog.  Not that that’s a bad thing, unique can be good.  And while it may seem weird at first, and a little too weird for some Joe collectors, I’m here to show you that the Mean Dog is definitely worth a look, if for no reason other than play value. 

The Mean Dog at first glance looks like a mini, heavily armed tractor-trailer.  There is a small cab section at the front of the vehicle.  The cab seems rather unremarkable, except for a machine gun turret on the top of it.  The vehicle shrinks down after the cab, and there cab can pivot from side to side, just like the cab on a big rig.  After the hitch/pivoting section comes the slightly larger trailer section.  It’s only slightly larger than the cab…but it’s pretty damned heavily armed!  There are very large missile racks on either side at the rear of the vehicle.  Each rack holds 5 large, white missiles.  A very large gatling cannon dominates the rest of the Mean Dog’s “trailer.”  Located in the center rear, the turret can traverse 360 degrees and elevate and even depress a little bit.  Please note that, in the photos, my Mean Dog is missing the tip of the gatling cannon.

As for the details, the entire top half of the cab section can be raised clamshell style.  Doing so reveals seating for three figures…two drivers sit near the very front on either side of the cab, with controls (including joysticks) in the center.  A third seat is placed in the top center just behind the front seats, stadium style.  This not only allows another Joe to ride along, it also makes for easy access to the machine gun turret mounted on top of the vehicle.  The machine gun can rotate a full 360, but does not elevate. 

The trailer section of the vehicle has space for two occupants.  One figure, probably the operator or this section, sits up high in the middle directly under the barrel of the cannon (you have to move the cannon to put the figure in).  The other figure can sit inside and operate the turret.  There’s a small wheel you can turn that spins the inner part of the cannon.  As for the large missile boxes on either side, you can slide them out away from the vehicle’s body for…well, I don’t really know why, but it looks pretty cool and makes the Mean Dog look more intimidating when they’re out.  At the very rear center of the Mean Dog is

Just when you thought that about did it for the Mean Dog…the entire top half of the trailer section can slide backwards, revealing a pair of wheels.  Pulling forward on the cab section frees the wheels.  The cab portion can now go off on its own, perhaps as a scout or fast-attack vehicle.  Considering that both rear wheels are on the rear portion of the hinged section, and they can both pivot and rotate 360 degrees, I bet that cab/scout section would be one mean off-road vehicle that could get through just about anything!

As for the trailer section, pulling up on the cannon unsnaps it, revealing four stabilizers laid out in a flower/fan pattern.  The cannon can now stand alone as its own turret, while both the cab and trailer sections of the Mean Dog go tearing off on their own.  So you see, the Mean Dog is really three toys in one!  One turret, two vehicles. 

As for the complaint section, the Mean Dog will probably not be for everybody.  It’s definitely a strange-looking Joe vehicle, and it doesn’t get any better when you separate it into its components.  The cab section looks strange with the wheels tailing behind it in the center.  The trailer portion looks strange because of the gaping hole left in its front by the removal of the cab section’s rear wheels.  The turret section looks kind of strange anyway, like a mushroom with a cannon barrel stuck on one side.  Another complaint is that when the top section of the trailer is slid to the rear to allow the cab section to separate, the weight of the turret and missile launchers tends to make the trailer pop an unintentional wheelie.  The part that holds the cannon in place when it elevates can wear out and make the cannon floppy.  And, (not the vehicle’s fault but I hate it) there are no repro stickers for the Mean Dog that I have been able to find, so if you get one with cruddy stickers you’ll be stuck with ‘em until J Ruben gets around to adding the Mean Dog to his sticker list.

While kind of a strange vehicle, I dig the ‘Dog.  For one thing, it seats five figures, with room for two riders on the foot pegs.  For another, c’mon, it splits into three separate toys!  How cool is that?  And it’s pretty heavily armed, and looks very tough and armored.  I can see the Cobra troopers having a mixture of fear and incredulousness on their faces when the weird looking Mean Dog rolls onto the battlefield.  Fear, at the bristling weaponry, and incredulousness, as in “What the $@!* is that?!?”

If you’re intrigued by the Mean Dog, expect to pay $25-60 bucks for one, with the average probably hovering around $35.  That’s really not a bad price, because it is one of the larger Joe vehicles…and that’s not even taking into consideration the play value.  So if you don’t mind the stranger-looking Joe vehicles, the Mean Dog is a good one to get bitten by.

Pics:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Review - MEAN DOG - By Request
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 06:40:43 AM »

ah the memories. This was my largest vehicle when I was growing up so I like this vehicle. I hated the ginormous gatling gun though, as it was to over the top in my mind. That and after a little play it wouldn't elevate without having to hold it. I'm sure the guy manning the machine gun really wants to see a barrel that size staring right down at him.  Of course your missing Wild Card but that's okay. Needless to say I never cared for his figure though I believe his torso would make for a great 'nok.
Now most of my Mean Dog is missing or broken. I should dig it out sometime.

good review.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:48:49 PM »

The vehicle was named correctly as it is very mean looking!  Keep up the good work and keep reviewing!
Lurking

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »

I need that vehicule for my collection! Everytime I find one it's always broken! I have 3 Wildcards (all still sealed in their bubbles) but no vehicule! The stickers are always in bad shape too!

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »

This may be my second favorite that I don't own (well maybe third after that big one with the giant ICBM type rocket).