JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hama GIJoe comic #161  (Read 1817 times)

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Hama GIJoe comic #161
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »

Anybody reading the Hama continuation of the Marvel run?  I just read number 161 today and there were a number of interesting things in this one.  

*SPOILER ALERT*

For one, this issue is jam packed with characters and vehicles from the 80's in their classic looks.  With some notable and interesting exceptions, one of which was the new POC hisstank!  It wasn't just drawn in, it was mentioned in the dialogue as the "new hisstank."  Also, the careful look can spot the ROC Rhino (beside what I think is ironically the Mauler).  The 25th got some nods as well, the classic vamp is shown with the cables on the gun that were added for the 25th version, and Mainframe has the 25th style upper thigh with the knife sheath.  The cartoon got some play time also, which really surprised me.  Doc's reflective mirrors are shown in the pitt and Lady Jaye has the cartoon style (and 25th style) javelin backpack.  In a departure from all things previous, she fires the javelin like a missile launcher.  You can surely tell the artist knows joe, from POC to 25th and classic looks to the cartoon.  Toxo viper version 1 even makes and appearance!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:21:02 PM by turner »

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Hama GIJoe comic #161
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »

I enjoyed reading #161.  All I can say is do not piss off Chuckles!

*SPOILER ALERT*

I love how Storm Shadow captured the remote self destruct kit for the PIT without the Joes knowing! That how segment was the best!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Hama GIJoe comic #161
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »

Yeah, it was cool to see Spirit sitting on the entrance hatch again.  At the convention, I told him how glad I was he was writing the series again and he seemed to light up like he really appreciated that.  Classy guy.  One thing I noticed about his writing, the lack of profanity.  In this issue, he implied some but never came out with any (that I remember).  Same when he did the ddp frontline story.  In the other ddp titles the writers were using profanity and I bet they are in the other idw joe titles.  He is above that, classy guy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »