JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Convention prototypes  (Read 4499 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Convention prototypes
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »

I've had these sitting on a shelf and thought it might get a bit of positive conversation going.

The one on the left is the one that was part of the convention set, the one on the right was the sample one I assembled as the mock up. Different head and the lower arms were painted flesh tone.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

This one isn't very different, just the goggles were painted silver on the original moc up. This is the one that was taken to a Toy Convention as a sample before the rest of the set was ready to be revealed.

[/URL]

The Coyote Viper was originally suppose to be dyed with a dark tan colour. The problem I ran into was the mock up was one figure in a big batch of dye. As soon as I tried to add multiple figures at the same time it washed out and looked pretty bad. As a result the majority of the figure had to be hand painted and then sealed to prevent paint chips. Also there was another head that we tried on the body with a visor. The figure on the right has the dyed body and visor head. I believe I added the Cobra stickers to mine because I thought it looked cooler.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:06:11 AM by morgardee »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Crimson Canuck

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Convention prototypes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »

The Coyote trooper looks more menacing with the helmet, and his facial expresion makes him look like more of a brute. Like it better. Take Down looks so much better with that head with the cap and the rolled up sleeves. I wish that was in the set.

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:07:20 AM »

They look like the bad guys from Tangled....

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »

The Coyote trooper looks more menacing with the helmet, and his facial expresion makes him look like more of a brute. Like it better. Take Down looks so much better with that head with the cap and the rolled up sleeves. I wish that was in the set.

I know what you are saying with Take Down but he looks to menacing to be a Joe.  If they kept him like that he would have been to be an Agent of Cobra.  Even the Mock up as a Cobra logo on his arm to prove it!
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »

In regards to the heads, we selected a bunch of different heads and they were shipped to me. I would put the heads on different bodies, take pictures and upload them for the group. As a team we would discus which head worked, which didn't and then put it to a vote.

Take Down was always suppose to be a "tough as nails" drill instructor. When we were looking at the possible head options the one with the cap was one of the original ones we were looking at. If I recall correctly it was the original pick but when we received the sample heads that one was missed in the order. We had a time table so went with the best looking one we had.I still think he's bass ass looking.

His arms there was a lot of concern over the dye job coming through the paint job over time. I painted two coats of flesh coloured paint and then sealed it. The dye didn't bleed through the paint job but at the time we didn't know for sure.

Also, I think on the prototype the entire body was dyed red and on the finished product I think the legs were dyed black.

Prototype Coyote Trooper's head he does look meaner on the released head. Interesting note, I have never seen that head anywhere else. The other heads I've seen on line but not that one.

The Night Ops dude there really wasn't a huge difference. It's just silver paint an the shade of grey was a little different. The lighter shade of grey one the one released matched better to the rest of the grey on the figure.

Crimson Canuck

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »

I think Take Down looks intimidating with that head, which is what I would think a drill instructor would look like. I do think the original head does look cool but I get more of an Ontario/Quebec vibe in regards to the style. The one with the cap and sideburns really captures an Alberta/Saskatchewan vibe to me, which I believe his file card says he's from Alberta.

I take it that the dye is used because it doesn't chip off like paint does. Was there any painting done on the figures or mostly dyes? If paint was used, what was used as a sealer?

Morgadee, did you do all of the Canadian Con sets?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »

Dye is used because it looks better and won't chip. If it can take the dye, you are better off doing it that way, especially when there is a 1000 figures to be done. Trim and detail is painted later. I forget the sealer I used as it's been a while.

No, I did not do all the con sets. I helped for a few years. 2011 was the last year I was involved.