JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: How would you make up the GI JOE roster if you were starting/rebooting?  (Read 2233 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile

I got to thinking about this as I finished reading the latest issue of the new IDW series. 

GI JOE over the years has gone from 1 man to an elite force with varying degrees of staffing.  Each incarnation since 82 has had a core group to start that has varied.  So with IDW's take on the franchise now I thought I would ask what kind of roster/make-up for the team/person would you go with?

After some thought, I came up with a Stargate SG1 make-up.

I would have the GI JOE team made up of small groups of 5(Alpha, Beta, etc) and each group would have a commander.  Each group would then of course report to a General.  It would start out with only 2 teams, but of course it could easily expand as needed.

For me it would be Joe Colton as the General.  Sorry Hawk, but you don't appear in my version.  A nod to the original has to be made.

Alpha team would be Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Shipwreck & Roadblock (NO HEAVY DUTY, EVER!!!).  These are the big boys who have been together for some time and work well together.  Once Beta team was activated, it became a rivalary between the 2 teams.  Everyone is friendly and has no problems working together, but Beta wants to be top dog and don't hide that.  Of course for big missions, everyone can come together.

Beta team would be Flint, Jinx, Stalker, Mainframe & Gung-Ho. 

Yes, each team has a some "stereotypes" or "staples" of the JOE mythos, but I had to go with what I know and feel.

The team has air support from Wild Bill and Ace.  However they are there for everyone, and only rarely would take part in an operation outside of air support.

I already have a third team lined up, but I wouldn't introduce them until the second season of a series or after 12 issues of a comic.  That team would be:

Beach Head, Tunnel Rat, Lady Jaye, Spirit & Bazooka. 

So, anyone else have no life, like me, and spent way too much time making up a scenario?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com

What, no medics?  Even Joes get hurt, once and a while.  Gotta give Doc and Lifeline some love.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
What, no medics?  Even Joes get hurt, once and a while.  Gotta give Doc and Lifeline some love.

I think Doc/Lifeline would be staff at the PIT and not field operatives. 

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com

You should watch Band of Brothers...  the Combat Medic's episode was the best one.  Those field medics can have quite the story to tell...

Moodslime

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.moodslime.com

Though alot of people hated the later Line ups (the newer characters that is) I think a reboot should introduce new characters with Specialties like in the beginning [i.e. Downtown (Mortar Soldier), Sci-Fi (Laser Trooper), Bazooka (Bazooka Trooper) and so on]. Basically I mean newer characters paired with specialities that befit a special ops team. Communications, Infantry, Counter Intelligence, Commando, and so on. A more uniform color scheme would sure add to the "team" concept.

Now if they were "re-booting" in the more global sense (The new movie), I think some special forces/ operatives from various countries would be cool: SAS, SEAL, KGB and so on.

Anybody have any unused codename ideas possibilities? This would be an interesting way to re-develop the team/ concept for the modern era. I know there are characters that we love from the original, but they have to be pushing 5p these days! Therefore a reboot with newer characters would be ideal.
\"Should I sign it?\"
\"You have to.\"
\"Signed: ... Who should I put?\"
\"You\'re supposed to put yourself.\"
\"Really? Everyone has been putting me.. wow all these years... I\'ve been famous!\"
\"{Siiigghh} YOU SIGN IT!\" YOU: The Aforementioned Signer.\"
\"Who?\"