JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Anyone excited about the 2016 con set?  (Read 11704 times)

Crimson Canuck

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone excited about the 2016 con set?
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »

Yeah, they're done at the end of the year. Here's some of the q&a at botcon with the collector's club panel that pertained to GI joe, and the club.

"Next up was Q&A! Radio Free Cybertron's own Headmaster Don asked on behalf of his GI Joe friends if there were any future GI Joe plans. FunPub said that business as usual would continue until the end of the year, and that any future plans would have to be a conversation between the fans and Hasbro."

"When asked about the ambitious goal of getting two TFSS rounds out in one year, they announced that the cutoff of 12/31 for all items to ship is absolute - FunPub may not sell any TF or Joe product after that date. They said that it's possible people may get a bundle of three toys in December, but seemed confident they would have all shipped on time since all are produced at once."

"FunPub didn't elaborate on why the Hasbro licenses were lost, but reiterated Hasbro's statement that they were committed to continuing Transformers' close relationship with its fans. FP has held the GI Joe license for 20 years and the Transformers license for 12, but things change. They believe Hasbro is looking for a company that can do more, and is exploring its options."

Full report here: 
http://tformers.com/botcon-2016-collectors-club-panel-report/28937/news.html

Crimson Canuck

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »

...And the Club managed to squeak in another two years. For better or worse, i'm not sure.
Any thoughts on the con exclusives? The only one that piqued my intest was the Heli viper. The head sculpt on Skymate is pretty cool, could see an updated Cutter with it.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 02:23:59 AM »

couldn't believe they wanted $55 for a pack of 6 JUMP packs!
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »

I loved the Sky striker, was blah about the Sky Sweeper since I hate the changes they made to the Firebat mold and was flabbergasted that they would pull that God awful Sky Sweeper mold out to do the Hydra.

Most of the figures were nice but not of any interest to me and the jump packs were neat, but not almost $60 US neat.

I'm torn about the club still doing Joe until 2018.  On the one hand they still provide new updates on figures from ARAH that Hasbro never got to over the years, but on the other hand it would indicate that Hasbro still doesn't have plans for Joe until 2019.

Also who knows what that means for Hasbro's branded conventions that were trademarked earlier this year.

Finally, I liked that Hasbro is still pumping out a few figures.  A shame there were no vehicles.  Especially like the female trooper and the new guy (forget his name).  At least something remains of Joe on the shelves of retail, even if it is TRU.

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »

Nothing like a 100% corporate version of what should be a purely fan event. I wonder what Hasbro thinks to gain by glombing together a bunch of brands at a single HasCon other than saving on traveling to multiple cons in a year. If they think some corporate marketing department is capable of maintaining a semblance of fan interaction after the slightest downturn in sales they are in for a rude awakening. They'll be right back to letting some licensor deal with all the headaches of running a con/website/figure subscription service. Also, if they think to make it some kind of adult collector catering, kid oriented promotional hybrid event I can see that being a real kiddie centric result with adult fans staying away in droves.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 02:12:16 AM »

Hasbro are trying to make a Cinematic Universe of their toy brands like Marvel's Cinematic Universe and the DC one. Everybody's about cinematic universes these days after seeing the success Marvel's had. Universal are trying to start a Robert Ludlum one using his other books with Bourne. Sony wanted to do one with Spider-Man related characters until ASM2 didn't do as well as they wanted. Fox are trying it with the X-Men spin-offs.

So all Hasbro care about is trying to get people to be interested in the brands to then get them to go see the movies.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »

Hasbro are trying to make a Cinematic Universe of their toy brands like Marvel's Cinematic Universe and the DC one. Everybody's about cinematic universes these days after seeing the success Marvel's had. Universal are trying to start a Robert Ludlum one using his other books with Bourne. Sony wanted to do one with Spider-Man related characters until ASM2 didn't do as well as they wanted. Fox are trying it with the X-Men spin-offs.

So all Hasbro care about is trying to get people to be interested in the brands to then get them to go see the movies.

Of course we're all aware of this (you forgot that insanely bad idea Universal monster one). What I don't see where they think a Hascon is relevant to those plans. Even DC and Marvel don't have any specific brand cons I'm aware of other than the major comicons a couple times a year. Great, make a crappy movie with Max Tracker joining GI Joe to fight the Purple Pieman but does Hasbro really think the con attending audience for Strawberry Shortcake merch wants to be within 3 states of a Joe con attendee, and vice-versa? I can totally see some marketing person at Hasbro, dreaming with stars in their eyes, about a Hascon with an SD Comicon level of excitement and media coverage. It's never gonna happen. Maybe in some insane future there could be a theme park based on Hasbro lines that's family friendly and a tourist destination but to torpedo the older established cons?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 02:08:18 AM »

well, no one ever said Businesspeople had common sense.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »

http://hascon.hasbro.com

Well, here it is. I know I'm...underwhelmed.