JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 2005 Convention Figures  (Read 4713 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« on: January 20, 2005, 08:29:29 PM »

Actually, the hype was real this time.  From the Mastercollector newsletter.

This year’s 3 3/4” set is entitled General Mayhem: M.A.R.S. Invades!

The story goes like this: Destro (an international arms dealer) is always expanding his M.A.R.S. (Military Armaments Research Systems) corporation to create new weapon’s factories all around the world. He has set his sights on several secret industrial complexes in the former Soviet Union and is using his inside man (General Mayhem, a former Spetsnaz officer and brilliant strategist), to execute his plan. With his new Iron Grenadiers and elite brigade of Iron Anvil Paratroopers led by Metal Head, Destro’s forces have invaded this former Soviet Bloc toy factory and plan to ship weapon’s systems under the toy brand of Destr-uct-o Blocs. Under this cover, they believe that they will be able to distribute their products globally, unnoticed by the western world. It is up to the G.I. Joe team to stop this dastardly plan. Who will win this urban struggle? What Joes will respond? Only time will tell…

This set comes with Destro in his new high powered battle armor; a new Iron Grenadier leader, General Mayhem; Destro’s trusty Lieutenant Metal Head; along with six new and improved Iron Grenadiers and six of Destro’s latest airborne assault paratroopers, the Iron Anvils!*

So, to recap this outstanding offer, you get fifteen different figures with weapons and accessories. This set comes in the same style illustrated box as the past two years’ sets and will make a terrific display with your existing collection.

Oh and spot the two Joecanuck members at the front of the line of the newsletter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:37:22 AM »

Sounds good to me! Are you going this year Pete?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:49:47 AM »

Hey! I know those good looking guys  8) If Sheryl wasn't so short and in front of me she might have made it in the picture as well.

So sounds like no Joe's in this years line up. That's odd. Maybe they will be in the bonus sets but I don't think I can make it this year so no bonus figures for me. Still sounds pretty cool. Guess Brian had to show his hand as most of the figures were already mentioned.

Also, is this the first time the home front hero sets could also buy an addition set of figures?

Oh yeah, what the heck is the Iron Anvils? That and maybe there was some truth to Destro using the Crimson Immortal body which is a real shame IMO.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 09:56:44 AM »

Hmm... Really like the sound of this set. Have a little extra spending money. Probably free those dates. Is this the first year I attend a Mastercollector GI Joe convention?

I must consult my budget.
Updated!

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 02:44:45 PM »

Morgardee,
The Iron Anvils are supposed to be repainted 94 vipers. Also, they say new and improved IG's so I'm not sure they are the original. There have been so many stories over the last few years that the mold was lost in South America. I'm wondering what mold they will use to replace the IG's. I'm thinking Annihilator. What would really be a pleasant surprise is if they got the mold back or parts of it(head, torso).

I'm really liking the set. I'm not sure if I will be able to attend this year, but will definitely order one if I can't. I might be able to help some of you out if I do attend, but can't guarantee that since space is limited in the luggage and there are supposed to be 4 exclusives again this year. Why so many? 1 set of joes and 3 vehicles (2 power fighters and the condor from alyosha's list). However, with so many exclusives we might be able to get them off MC after the con. They didn't sell out last year and are still available.

I just can't wait for pics to start trickling in.

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »

I'm thinking of going without ordering the boxset for some reason...I prefer buying them bagged so I can play with the figures separately. Does the Sergeant's Package allow you to go without ordering the boxset, but still include admission to other places like the dinner and seminars?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »

I think you can only get the bagged set after you buy the boxed set.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 10:53:53 AM »

Quote from: ""Spillspleen""
Sounds good to me! Are you going this year Pete?

I am apart of a wedding party for one of my buddies that weekend. So I am not sure if I want to kill myself in going to the con for a couple of days and then rushing back for the wedding on the Saturday.

And Jason, I am planning getting a boxed set.  If I end up not going, you can pick up my boxed set and get the rest of the goodies.

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 10:50:35 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
And Jason, I am planning getting a boxed set.  If I end up not going, you can pick up my boxed set and get the rest of the goodies.

Thanks, Pete...but so far, I don't know if I can go either, considering the number of comic conventions I'm planning on attending this summer....I'll be able to find out by the end of next month if the Loopmeister will be at Joe convention.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 08:46:36 AM »

You know, Brian Savage thought that more Canadians were going to go this year as this is as far north as they have been but from the 5 Canadian Joe fans I remember being at the con last year, 3 of us seem to be not going as it stands right now. I might be over looking some people but last year I remember Pete, Loop, Dead Shot, Darren and myself and I'm 95% sure I'm not going, now Pete and Loop aren't sure if they can go.

I still wish they would have the thing at Niagra falls then I could drive there and drive home every night. I'd do the 3 hrs drive round trip every day and be happy about it. Well maybe in 4 years from now...

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
2005 Convention Figures
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 12:05:11 AM »

The only way I can see a cheap alternative to go is car pool, split the cost of a hotel room for one night and just go for a couple days.  So that is my proposed plan.  But you need 3-4 guys to make this work and people that are willing to be back in Canada on Friday.  In the end, you meet some of the other collectors and you get the exclusives.  

But my problem is timing and the duration of the convention.  There is no way I can take in 4-5 days in Minny, even if I didn't have to be in the wedding party for that Saturday.  Orlando was different as I took in Disney World.  Minny has a huge shopping mall.  Big freaking deal.  I have large shopping centre behind me and I can visit the one in Edmonton when I am back there in the summer.  Plus I travel too much to be stuck in a hotel for another 4 nights and eat crap on the road.  Plus the sales floor is nothing to lose sleep over.  The seminars are going to be the same as Orlando in my books. So I can't justify staying in Minny for 4-5 days.

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Deadshot's crazy ....he drove there!!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 06:26:14 PM »

Well   I  am planning on  going  at  the  present  time.  Again, I am driving  there  since  its  only  a mere 14 hours away..compared to the  haul to Florida  last  year  a  piece of cake.    

If  anyone  wants   to   tag along with me  in the car , or split on a hotel room  let me know.
Zinthos.