JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: rumor 2009 joe con set  (Read 4040 times)

RedKat

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
rumor 2009 joe con set
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

OK this is just a rumor i got, so it may not be true,
the them for the upcoming set maybe Red Shadows, this came down from my friend, remember its just a rumor,this info came from my friend who as a friend that is a vendor,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: rumor 2009 joe con set
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »

Based on the clues the Collector's club has put out.  That is a good assumption.
The set will be something old, and something new, but nothing blue.
And I see my image reflected back and who is that person not wearing black.

If done right a Red Shadow set could be pretty cool.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:15:37 PM »

If someone wants to know more about Red Shadows: http://www.mastercollector.com/articles/reviews/review061105-12.htm

Martin

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »

I've always wanted one of those repainted Cobra Commanders but I've never had the money for it. It's a safe bet that if it's a Red Shadow set and includes some classic remakes like C.C. then I'll be getting a set.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »

Quote from: "RedKat"
OK this is just a rumor i got, so it may not be true,
the them for the upcoming set maybe Red Shadows, this came down from my friend, remember its just a rumor,this info came from my friend who as a friend that is a vendor,

It looks like it was just a rumor, because the US set will be:

As in past years, there are two different outstanding GIJoeCon sets that every G.I. Joe collector will want to add to their collection. Once again, the club has worked very hard to bring you only the highest quality and most innovative sets possible!

To celebrate the G.I. Joe brand?s 45th Anniversary, Hasbro has granted the G.I. Joe Collectors? Club a special edition of the 25th Anniversary sculpt 3 3/4? fi gures for the return of the Crimson Strike Team These convention exclusive versions of the Crimson Twins, Baroness and a set of twelve ?army builder? style Cobra Vipers will once again appear in their unique crimson deco. Each fan favorite comes with their classic weapons and accessories in
this exciting 2009 fi fteen fi gure boxed set!

http://gijoecon.com/kc2009/kcbrochure.pdf

I went to other US boards and people are comparing the Canadian exclusives with these 25th Crimson set. While there is no goal to win or lose over the US, in general, people like better our Canadian exclusives.   8)

Martin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:29:11 AM by martin-montreal »

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »

I think the Collectors' Club cheaped out this year.   Using repaints for an existing exclusive set all be it 25th anniversary is weak.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »

25th Crimson Strike Team = You have to be f**king kidding me. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:12:11 PM »

I was pretty disappointed to read about all the convention stuff this year. So many characters still need to be 25th'd and yet they come up with that? I will probably never collect Con stuff, it's already hard enough to justify being a completist with retail product let alone niche weirdness like this upcoming set.

The Canadian stuff looks more resourceful and I am happy you guys get that this year. I however will pass since I can not get to the lineup for the Con, probably not even gonna be able to make a day visit. :(

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »

What's to say?

It seems like the decision was to go back to probably their most successful set.  I don't know about successive sets, but I do know that the Crimson Strike set originally sold out.  Granted, this was their first ARAH set and the numbers were lower than later sets, but still, a sellout is a sellout. 

Crimson "whatever" has always been a good, safe bet.  You can usually do well with something in that scheme, so I see the logic behind trying to recapture that hit with the 25th molds.   However, I get the feeling that MC wasn't expecting quite the backlash they have received around this set.  The set comes off 1 of 2 possible ways, in my mind, in regards to the reasoning behind it.  Unfortunately both possible ways are not very flattering for MC or the future of ARAH/25th sets.

1) MC has begun to let the ARAH side of the Joe con slide.  With the Transformers con taking a more predominant spot in their business (& probably larger), it seems that Joe fans are getting stuck playing second fiddle.  That means the majority of their resources are going to TFs and so a quick and easy convention set was decided on.  That set was basically a rehash of an already made set, but using 25th figures.   If this is the main reasoning behind the set, then it is sheer laziness and greed.

2) MC is running out of ideas for large ARAH/25th sets.  The model for these sets seems to be static, with no room for change.  15 figures with a heavy emphasis on army builders/mold reuse, and a "set" price in the range of $270-$300.  This leads to very limited selection for possible sets.  GI JOE basically only has greenshirts, although I think you could do sea or air sets of JOEs with just changing the heads and keeping a standard uniform body.  I don't know if that would do well.  So that basically leaves Cobra as the main thrust for most sets.  Whether it is Cobra, Dreadnoks, IGs, whatever.  However MC has already hit on CGs, IGs and Dreadnoks.  Then they started in on "new" subgroups or characters that seemed to go over well in some cases.  The problem with "new" subgroups is that you are taking a big risk that fans will want them or not.  Ginning-up an existing subgroup is a safer bet.

It's funny really.  MC had been moving along with the JOE licence and then picked up the TF licence.  At the start, they received a lot of hate from TF fans who hated the business model and felt that TFs were playing second fiddle to JOEs.  Then slowly the TF fans started to accept this new way of doing things and are now pretty happy with how the convention is run. 

The switch is now to JOE fans who seem to be playing second fiddle and getting shunted around willy-nilly. 

My suggestion to MC is look at your business model for the JOEs.  Maybe it is time to consider a change.  15 figure sets may no longer be sustainable as a model for the JOE mythos.  You were flexible with the TF sets, at the beginning, to some degree, maybe it is time to think of something similar for Joes.

That, or as others have suggested, start mining the existing subgroups you haven't done (TF, PP, SP, NF).

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »

I agree with canprime.  Instead of ch chincing out on the Con set think about different ways to present the Con set maybe smaller numbers of figures.  The CanCon set is five exclusives at 100 produced and far surpasses the Collector Club's 15 figure 500 piece sets.

GOLD5

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:06:06 AM »

I hope they don't make as fuchsia version this time. echhh. Hopefully these will be available cheap right after the con in loose baggies on ebay, hype for the movie will probably help them sell out quickly though..

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »

I hope they don't end up releasing a key character in 25th style that's yet to be made as I won't be able to get it at the prices they ask for.