JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Official 2013 CanJoeCon Post  (Read 21975 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Official 2013 CanJoeCon Post
« on: February 16, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »

Hey gang, I know you've all been waiting anxiously for confirmation of this years Canadian Joe Con, unfortunately all I have for you at this time is some bad news. As much as it pains all of the staff here to say this, there will not be a Canadian Joe Con this year. The cost to rent a hall, every hall looked at, increased quite a bit since last year. GI Joe releases were scaled back last year, making the fodder we need for our convention sets too hard (or expensive) to come by. Even if multiple figures in quantities over a hundred became available today, there just isn’t the painting time or volunteers needed to pull a set off by June 29th, the date the con was originally planned for.

Sorry to anyone that took time off work or started making plans for the con. No one is more disappointed by this announcement than us. Hopefully everyone loves the movie and the enthusiasm for GI Joe carries on into next year for the Canadian Joe Con’s return, which, as of right this moment, WILL return in 2014.

There are a few other issues pertaining to this years CJC, but the bulk of it is posted above. A small gathering, much like the original "Joe Meet", may happen, we will post more if that idea becomes a reality.
- Mike

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2013 CanJoeCon Post
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »

This is terrible news, :(
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »

Hasbro ought to bankroll y'all instead of the losers south of the border. You guys are 10 times better than them fools.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Gyre-Viper

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »

This is horrible news.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to go but I was looking forward to the idea none-the-less and
even trying to come up with ideas for another Declassified panel etc.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »

Oh man....     :'(

Thanks for all your hard work in the past, and I hope we'll have another Con next year.
Even a meet without exclusives would be nice, though.  I'd go!
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »

Okay I had to dry my tears first before typing this.

It's not all bad news. If my understanding is correct, there is still some small hope for a meet. I remember the meets and love them  just as much as the actual conventions. All we can do at this point is hope for the best.

2 + 2 = 22

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

That's too bad... I didn't miss one CJC since 2009.

Maybe a miracle can happen...

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

ya super bummed...look forward to this every year
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

We have worked closely with Hasbro at every previous con. Hasbro has never been able to "officially" sponsor us due to numerous reasons, not the least of which is their agreement with the GIJCC. Hasbro Canada has been extremely supportive of us over the years, sometimes too much so for their own good. The personell shuffle at Hasbro USA and Canada in conjunctune with their decision to globally cut back on taking part in events like ours (leaving only SDCC and GIJCC as their supported events) makes the idea of official sponsorship, while a very nice thought, not something that they are able to do (even if they want to). We have had assistance in getting product via Hasbro for a number of the cons past - however due to the reasons stated above, that's not possible this year. Both from a Hasbro level regarding their global policy, and the fact that other than the upcoming Retaliation line, there is just no product in the channel that we can get our hands on at a reasonable rate.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

xhairs

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/XHAIRS_photos/
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

this is very sad news well we all understand and hope 2014 will be a killer come back and this will give plenty of time to make a killer con set thats for sure.
CUSTOM TOYS ARE THE BEST TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
ORING, CLASSIC & RESOLUTE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »

Damn guys, that sucks.  I understand though, and hopefully Retaliation will make Joe come back strong.

I admit I'm kind of worried about it. TRU down here has a tiny Retaliation section, and I don't see GI Joe at ALL in the spring Wal-Mart toy plan-o-gram posted at my store. 

I am lucky enough to have obtained the past two CanJoeCon sets thanks to the efforts of several fellow board members, particularly Pdaat.  All the CJC staff does great work. 

It is still on my "list" to make a CJC, and I'm looking forward to making it one day and meeting all you guys.

Thanks again for all you do!
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »

Damn, This is bad news.  I hope you can organize a meet at your store or where ever it can be done. 
Lurking