JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Bandy's loose 25th Anniversary collection  (Read 8863 times)

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Bandy's loose 25th Anniversary collection
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »

Quote from: "Raptor"
I'm up to 4. And loving every one of them...

- R

Yeah I want to convince the wife to get another one, they're very neat "floating" and display very nicely.  Have you guys installed the spot-lights?  I'm wondering how the light will cascade all the way to the bottom shelf.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"
Have you guys installed the spot-lights?  I'm wondering how the light will cascade all the way to the bottom shelf.

I haven't. I'm concerned with the affect the constant close range light source would have on the items on the upper shelves.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »

I have to agree with the lighting - unless you make sure they lights have no ultra violet range and no heat.  Otherwise the plastic will decay much faster than normal.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38:45 AM »

Quote from: "Stealth Viper"
Have you guys installed the spot-lights?  I'm wondering how the light will cascade all the way to the bottom shelf.

I haven't. I'm concerned with the affect the constant close range light source would have on the items on the upper shelves.

That was exactly my thoughts on the matter as well. I was even considering putting dust covers over the doors to keep them from getting single direction faded from UV that comes in the room.

I'm going to try to mitigate the effect by rotating the displays about every 6 months to a year, but I think that the close proximity light might be a bit too much.

If I were going to do it though, I think that I'd pick up one of those battery powered push on lights that they have at Canadian Tire that are designed to stick in a closet. They even have a bit of a plastic filter to keep the UV from damaging the plastic (though I have no idea how well that would work.) At least it would save you a lot of trouble with running ugly wiring, and you can turn them on and off as you please.

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »

I would recommend AGAINST using the lights. They can get pretty hot, and you have no clue what the light/heat will do to these newer 25th figures.

Avoid sunlight in your room at all costs.

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »

yeah, all around good points re: the light vs. 25A plastic.

If I were to experiment with it, that's a good idea with those push-lights at Canadian Tire Raps!  No wiring, no drilling, I just wonder how hot it would get.

I wouldn't turn the lights on and leave it all night, but I figured it would add a little something more to the presentation if I was showing off my collection to guests that come over (not that I do that often anyways).  Meh I'll park this idea in the "if there's nothing else to do with my collection" corner.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »

If I were to experiment with it, that's a good idea with those push-lights at Canadian Tire Raps!  No wiring, no drilling, I just wonder how hot it would get.

I think that you can get them in LED versions now. How hot do LED's get?

:chicken:

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 12:44:28 AM »

Oh, and for all those with the shelves, you should know that the packaging inserts from the new 25th vehicles fit perfectly in the shelves.

It creates and instant cardboard dio (for those that are into such things.) Even if you're just looking for a good way to cover up that bottom shelf, it's a nice effect.

- R

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »

dang another nice tip!  I didn't even put two and two together on that one - how did you discover that?

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »

By removing the carton from the box and sitting it on the shelf.  ;D I actually used one of the target exclusives first and it was a bit too short. The regular releases are just about perfect though, but I suggest that you remove the shelf (including the pegs) above when putting them in, and replacing it afterward.

The only bad part is that you have to set the shelf a peg higher than normal if you were spacing the shelves evenly. If you used the whole shelf for the dios you'd end up only having 9 shelves to play with...

Still it's nice to be able to reuse some of that cool packaging. Just be sure to cut the tape from the bottom when removing the plastic tabs that hold the vehicles in. If I ever find a second Firebat for less than $30 I'll buy one to open, and use the dio to display all my cobra pilot figures. The inside dios are getting better and better with each release.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »

LED Lights would work well enough.  LEDs should be pretty safe on plastics and they don't get very hot at all.  Plus, you can rig up a custom job and have LED Lighting on each shelf, and in any colour you want