JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What is the future for o-ring collectors?  (Read 11218 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
What is the future for o-ring collectors?
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »

We can see it on every GI Joe boards, there is less and less activities these days. From one side, Hasbro is not helping by not providing toys that people want/like and suppliers (like TRU) are not ordering enough (like for Kre-o). I'm an o-ring collector and never jump into the 25th line/Modern era except for vehicles. So, I feel a little bit ignored.

Few o-rings initiatives were interesting:

1- SK Omega: Original, futurist and o-ring characters.  This line was also including (large) vehicles. But this project never showed up (http://www.joecanuck.com/jc/index.php?topic=4344.0).

2- OSC project was supposed to make original o-ring characters and filling some hole in the GI joe toy line (shooter, Pythona, etc.), but someone stole the money... leaving the supporters with empty hands (http://arah-old-school.forumsmotion.com/).

3- Legion XIV Productions (by Falcone) made few years ago some great o-ring female trooper. While pretty well done, these were 4 inches high, not 3.75... so they were not made for the original o-ring collector (https://www.facebook.com/LegionXivProductions)

4- The.Black.Major "custom": Made a lot of troopers, Crimson guard, BAT and now female trooper with colour variations (Blue, White, Black, Urban camo, Crimson, etc.). There were sometimes few issues like smaller foot hole or smaller back hole, but the fans jump on these. Selling from $7 to $15 by the Black Major, on the second hand market they were going as high as $30. These are half legit. While the characters use the same Hasbro mold (and logo), some variation were totally original (colours never made by Hasbro for these mold) (http://www.ebay.ca/sch/the_black_major/m.html).

So, most of these initiatives were fans initiatives. What's the future for o-ring collectors? The Club and Hasbro are no more interested by o-ring... with website like kickstarter, are the fans will take the lead this time?

If there were more o-ring offers (convention exclusive, club exclusive, fans initiative, etc.), would you be more "board" active, more "collector" enthusiast, still a buyer?

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: What is the future for o-ring collectors?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »

So, most of these initiatives were fans initiatives. What's the future for o-ring collectors? The Club and Hasbro are no more interested by o-ring... with website like kickstarter, are the fans will take the lead this time?

If there were more o-ring offers (convention exclusive, club exclusive, fans initiative, etc.), would you be more "board" active, more "collector" enthusiast, still a buyer?

I'm gonna stay active as long as I have stuff to buy/sell I suppose.

Collector enthusiast? Depends on what comes along. I was briefly intrigued by some of the later o-ring stuff but many people warned me I'd be disappointed in the quality. I may slowly collect 87 onwards for vehicles up to 90 maybe but any new stuff would have to be new realistic military designs rather than repaints of existing stuff.

For me the future seems to be Kre-o but it could fizzle soon as they get close to having versions of all the classic figs.

Maybe I'll have to collect 2 of everything?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:10:48 AM »

as an o-ring die-hard, my interest is solely in scraping together the cash to get more Cobras or a couple of vehicles or con exclusives.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:52:10 AM »

as an o-ring die-hard, my interest is solely in scraping together the cash to get more Cobras or a couple of vehicles or con exclusives.

That's an interesting comment. I'm up to 2 mint spare soldiers (+1 with my fig display) and I'd get more in a second (if reasonably priced). My local toy shop sells them for $35 if you can believe it (NOT reasonably priced in my book). It's funny but I have a hard time parting with any Cobra army builders. (Soldiers, Officers, Lampreys, EELs, Snow Serpents, Crimson Guards(!!!), Vipers, Strato Vipers, Tele Vipers, AVACs, B.A.T.s) Maybe that's where the o-rings are headed. A mad fight over the remaining army builders in circulation and 1000 Airbornes in a landfill somewhere.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »

my aim is to add 2 Officers, 4 Troopers, 4 Vipers, 4 BATs, 1 HEAT-, SAW-, Toxo-, Techno-, Tele- Vipers, 2 Heli-Vipers, Iron Grenadiers and Eels, 3 Undertows, Alley and Night Vipers, 2 Red Ninja Vipers, Slice and Dice, 4 Annihilators and TARGATs, a HISS and driver, a Stinger and Driver and Copperhead and a Mocassin

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

I see... in my Crystal ball... that I will finally be getting Battlecorps Predacon, and SpaceShot. Yes, yes. Both loose complete and also in nice shape. I think I see... a cracked elbow? Not sure on who, but I guess that I can live with that. According to the Tarrot cards, they should cost me about 30 bucks each. I see also a sunny sky with some light winds, so that must be good.

Oh-oh --- I'm losing the image! I guess that was about it.
2 + 2 = 22

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »

I see... in my Crystal ball... that I will finally be getting Battlecorps Predacon, and SpaceShot. Yes, yes. Both loose complete and also in nice shape. I think I see... a cracked elbow? Not sure on who, but I guess that I can live with that. According to the Tarrot cards, they should cost me about 30 bucks each. I see also a sunny sky with some light winds, so that must be good.

Oh-oh --- I'm losing the image! I guess that was about it.

I wasn't familiar with those figures so I looked them up.

:'(

No doubt about what killed GI Joe back in the 90's.

Another thing. Who thought a Joe that looked like Captain EO was EVER a good idea?

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

Another thing. Who thought a Joe that looked like Captain EO was EVER a good idea?

The King of Pop probably did. I find your lack of Faith in Captain EO...disturbing.
2 + 2 = 22

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »

Actually...

I bet if Freddie Mercury was still alive, he'd look a lot like SpaceShot on stage. A Big Boa stand with the bag cut off for a mike. It might work.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »

a Joe looking like Captain EO? What?

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:50 PM »

http://www.yojoe.com/action/94/spaceshot.shtml

What have we done? He's gonna be $60 soon.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

http://www.yojoe.com/action/94/spaceshot.shtml

What have we done? He's gonna be $60 soon.

What have you done. You wil become my new fortune teller soon  ;)
2 + 2 = 22