JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 2012 CAN JOE CON Media Blitz  (Read 4618 times)

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
2012 CAN JOE CON Media Blitz
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »

Hey there!

With just a week to go until the 2012 Canadian GI Joe Convention, it's that time again when THE Mike himself hits the airwaves across this great land to pimp his ass off.

It started today with an appearance on The Humble and Fred podcast.  Check it out at www.humbleandfredradio.com . It can also be accessed across Canada on the Rogers Radio Network.

Coming up next week, Mike will be calling in to Derek Bolduc at Kingston's FM96 to chat on Tuesday August 7th.  Then, on Wednesday August 8th, he'll be joining Ben and Kerry at Y108 in Hamilton live in studio, and he's got a special surprise for the guys.   He will also be making appearances on several other radio stations, including 900CHML and Vinyl 95.3 (dates and times to be confirmed)

In other media news, look for a mention at www.torontomike.com , and we have a few TV/newspaper outlets attending the con.

Owning media like A BOSS!

Yo Joe!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Blitzkrieg

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 CAN JOE CON Media Blitz
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »

It started today with an appearance on The Humble and Fred podcast.  Check it out at www.humbleandfredradio.com . It can also be accessed across Canada on the Rogers Radio Network.

I just listened to the interview portion of the podcast, and THE Mike should win the award for Most Patient Guest. The Humble and Fred are the two biggest no-talent hacks I have ever heard. In the age of the Intertubes, all it would have taken is 10 minutes of Google searching to at least give the illusion that they somewhat knew what they were talking about. Between getting THE Mike's name wrong, constantly referring to the "non-applicable" era of G.I. Joe, trying to get him to sing the (wrong) theme song, interrupting him with the 60's 12" G.I. Joe theme song, barely plugging the event, I don't know how he didn't completely lose it. I would have just laid into them and hung up. "The most downloaded podcast in Etobicoke..." - I am assuming this is only because there are no other podcasts to download from that town. I am not going to even mention what those two losers said after THE Mike hung up.

I really hope that THE Mike's upcoming radio promotions are more pleasant experiences than that podcast nightmare.

Blood Boiling Blitzkrieg

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »

Ah Blitz, Blitz, Blitz.

If Howard Stern made that joke on air, would it be any funnier? No.

Here's the thing about H&F. They're legends up here in Canada and have a strong STRONG following across the web and in Southern Ontario.

If they wanted me to come on the show and mock G.I. Joe for 10 minutes, I'd happily let them - why? It's 10 minutes of conversation about G.I. Joe - good or bad, and the end result is a plug on their show, their blog, facebook, twitter, and website.

The best part - it's free.

So yeah, they went off topic - but they had fun, and they left me promote the con in a different way.
Case in point - I was contacted by 9 old customers and 1 old friend today as a result of this podcast - ALL Of them had no clue about the con, and 4 of them are coming.

I can understand you being pissed at the joke - it's a poor taste joke - but it's been around for YEARS and I remember hearing it back in the days when I played with my Joes. I'm not defending the show, the joke or anything like that, so please don't think I am.

Either way, I'm happy with a podcast giving me 10 minutes of their time to promote G.I. Joe regardless how they are, and I'd do it again if they asked me back.

Also, worth mentioning, the best CJC radio or podcast spot that has been done (and it didn't even include me) is here: http://www.joecanuck.com/2010/ads/joe3.mp3

Guaranteed to cheer you up!

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »

[/quote]
... Between getting THE Mike's name wrong, constantly referring to the "non-applicable" era of G.I. Joe, ..."
[/quote]

What exactly is the "non applicable era of GI Joe"?  The Can Joe Con celebrates all eras of GI Joe.  Humble and Fred releate to what they grew up with.  MY GI Joe was in the 80's.  My son plays with the newer stuff, which I don't collect.  If you've ever attended The Can Joe Con, you would know that there are many dealers and attendees who sell and collect 12 inch Joes from the 60's, 70's and today.  Just because you don't, it does not make them any less important or "applicable".
Wherever you go, there you are.

Blitzkrieg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

Ah Blitz, Blitz, Blitz.

If they wanted me to come on the show and mock G.I. Joe for 10 minutes, I'd happily let them - why? It's 10 minutes of conversation about G.I. Joe - good or bad, and the end result is a plug on their show, their blog, facebook, twitter, and website.

So yeah, they went off topic - but they had fun, and they left me promote the con in a different way.

Case in point - I was contacted by 9 old customers and 1 old friend today as a result of this podcast - ALL Of them had no clue about the con, and 4 of them are coming.

Either way, I'm happy with a podcast giving me 10 minutes of their time to promote G.I. Joe regardless how they are, and I'd do it again if they asked me back.

Also, worth mentioning, the best CJC radio or podcast spot that has been done (and it didn't even include me) is here: http://www.joecanuck.com/2010/ads/joe3.mp3

Guaranteed to cheer you up!

THE Mike,

Thanks for providing some background information on those podcasters. And if you're okay with how you were treated and it benefits the show, then I can lower my inner body temperature from boiling to simmering.

And thanks for providing the clip above. For me, that was a good example of how to balance serious promotion/coverage with good-natured ribbing of the hobby (e.g., doll vs. action figure).

Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »

... Between getting THE Mike's name wrong, constantly referring to the "non-applicable" era of G.I. Joe, ..."
[/quote]

What exactly is the "non applicable era of GI Joe"?  The Can Joe Con celebrates all eras of GI Joe.  Humble and Fred releate to what they grew up with.  MY GI Joe was in the 80's.  My son plays with the newer stuff, which I don't collect.  If you've ever attended The Can Joe Con, you would know that there are many dealers and attendees who sell and collect 12 inch Joes from the 60's, 70's and today.  Just because you don't, it does not make them any less important or "applicable".
[/quote]

I could clearly turn this into an argument, but I am going to try and answer this respectfully.

When I wrote "non applicable", I placed it in quotes because I didn't mean it literally. What I meant is that although the CJC represents and welcomes all eras of G.I. Joe, and we want the largest (most diverse) crowd attending in support of our hobby, in my opinion and based on my observations from my attendance of the last two CJCs, the 12" era of Joe is not the focus of the convention (i.e., not the prime target audience). Case in point: the exclusives are 3.75" scale, most of the door prizes are geared towards 3.75" collectors, the panel discussions are geared towards the 3.75" crowd, etc. If THE Mike hadn't corrected/clarified what The Humble and Fred were discussing about G.I. Joe or the convention, if I were a 3.75" collector listening to the podcast who wasn't previously aware of the CJC's existence, I would assume (before performing the due diligence of checking the website) that the focus of the show would be 12" Joes and I would be less likely to attend (i.e., I felt that The Humble and Fred were misleading their audience). Just as you had mentioned that you don't collect the newer stuff, I don't collect the 12" inch stuff, nor should anyone be expected to collect anything that doesn't resonate with them.

As I mentioned in my thread of the Introductions forum, one of the main reasons that I enjoy the CJC is the openness of everyone to new attendees (such as myself in 2010) and the absence of cliques (and in-fighting).

Blitzkrieg

Charade

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »

I used to listen to Humble & Fred back in the day when CFNY played great music.  They were deebs back then, and listening to this podcast, not much has changed. (Although back then, they used to have some funny skits, and the crap they put their interns through was golden.)

But Blitz, it was a good interview, all things considered.  According to my ears, they did not mean any disrespect..  H&F obviously know one generation of GI Joe (60's 12").  And based one this interview, I think they were ignorant that GI Joe got rebooted in the '80's, which is why they were fixed on the '60s, and why, when they obviously Googled "GI Joe Theme Song" they got the "wrong" song, and why they wondered if kids would be interested in GI Joe today (although that last point was pretty valid).

The Mike did a great job dealing with their ignorance, but H&F tried their best to promote the Con to the best of their knowledge.

As for the joke...yes, it was terrible, but I did laugh when they suggested changing "a German" to "a Nazi" might make it less offensive.