JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Sundance's fan-fic AMA  (Read 3921 times)

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Sundance's fan-fic AMA
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:05:55 AM »

Ask Me Anything about my fan-fic. How I got started, what plans I have, plot holes, anything!
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Sundance's fan-fic AMA
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:57:13 AM »

so much for that idea, eh? thought it might spark some conversation...

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »

Ok, why did you go the route of a fan fic vs doing a diostory?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:07:21 AM »

any number of reasons. one, it's easier to write a story than to spend ages setting up dozens of figures for the photos. two, it let's me use any kind of location i want in any weatheri want. three, it let's me use hundreds of characters i might not own, or vehicles i don't own. especially stuff that's rarer, like con set characters or vehicles, the South American exclusives or to use characters from recent years where i don't like the modern sculpt figures, but like the characters.

plus, my first ever fan-fic for Action Force was supposed to be 'how I would do AF: The Movie' which updated a lot of the vehicles in ways I would never be able to customise.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »

Thats pretty cool.
 So when your writing do you have a basis for your stories? Are they grounded in the comics or cartoons or both or something completely different? how much of the existing information do you use in your stories as source material? Or do you rewrite certain aspects (sort of like several joe canadian filecards)? Should I expect an overall arc to your stories or are they stand alone?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »

The first trilogy I wrote was, as noted above, my take on AF The Movie if in some other universe that were to be made. They were done in 2009-2010.

The next trilogy I wrote was Action Man the movie, my style. done in 2010/11.

The series I've mostly been writing since is GI Joe, AF, Brazil/Argentina characters and the CJC exclusives all lumped together in one continuity, largely based on the comics by Marvel US, Marvel UK, Battle Action Force and the CJC comics. I say largely, because they a. ignore 'Ancient Relics' the MUK Transformers crossover, the MUS Joe/TF limited series, and remove the TF involvement in the events surrounding the discovery of Cobra's take over of Millville and b. have a complicated scenario wherein the UK stories featuring US characters are assumed to have taken place, but with UK characters, or my analogues thereof. EG: AF Weekly had a story where Lady Jaye, Airtight, Footloose and Alpine went to Paris to stop Cobra destroying the Eiffel Tower, in my universe, it was Quarrel, Bombardier, Quickfire and a character of my creation called Ice-pick. my universe has it that Ironblood was captured and the Red Shadows largely destroyed, Red Wolf defected to Cobra, taking the Roboskulls with him, Red Jackel died, Black Major and Red Laser escaped (as seen in BAF) and Red Vulture was captured and freed by the Major (again as in BAF). Cobra Europe is run by Anna Conda, (who has the BAF backstory for Baroness as her history) replacing CC, Hades replaces Destro, but he's a Kiwi version of the BAF take on Bludd, Diamondback replaces Firefly, Shadow Snake replaces Storm Shadow as a Chinese Kung-Fu adept with the BAF backstory of Stormy, Salamader and Reptile replace Bludd and Baroness as 3inc and intelligence officer, Bombshell (another Shad defector) replaces Scrap Iron, Sea Snake replaces Copperhead and Changeling replaces Zartan. There's also replacements for Tomax and Xamot and the Dreadnoks.

The stories are linked in that they share a continuity, and there is an arcing plot to some of the Special Ops stories which have The Coil in them or Skull Squad and the Black Dragons. There's also an arc plot in several regarding the Joes being reinstated following a large Red Shadow attack on DC and the Oktober Guard expanding its roster. I'm also starting to develop an arc regarding the South American team.

Yes, I've also borrowed certain concepts from the GIJCC but not their plots.

Some stories reference events of the comics and other of my stories, some times before I wrote the stories in question.