JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Combiner Wars  (Read 21480 times)

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Combiner Wars
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »

Anyone thinking about picking these up?

I bought the Arielbots minus the helicopter (can't find him yet) Dragstrip(?), and Powerglide. They're pretty cool and Superion certainty looks impressive. I thought the whole line was supposed to be all combiners but not the case after seeing Bombshell and others. That Devestator they're coming out with certainly looks impressive.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Combiner Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »

I was very impressed with Devastator, I will see how much it is before I go for it
Lurking

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:23:17 AM »

Yeah.

I was really down to just Masterpiece transformers and the odd other purchases when it came to Transformers, but this line is drawing me back in to main line stuff again.   On the plus side, I didn't get sucked into the third party craze of combiners, so I can get fairly high quality ones for a lot less.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:44:57 AM »

Yeah.

I was really down to just Masterpiece transformers and the odd other purchases when it came to Transformers, but this line is drawing me back in to main line stuff again.   On the plus side, I didn't get sucked into the third party craze of combiners, so I can get fairly high quality ones for a lot less.

I was the same. The last Hasbro thing I bought was their MP Starscream and Prime and before that the G1 re-issues. I started to dig those fancy updated ones (Blitzwing, Springer and such) but I was told the quality was poor so passed on them. I seriously considered some of the 3rd party stuff as well but the cost drove me away, especially with so many Masterpieces coming out in such a shot span.

My brother had Superion as a kid (still does in storage) and the new one is WAY better. Bigger, sturdier, more poseable, the robot modes are more true to the show. My biggest beef is Hasbro changing some of the vehicles around. How can some helicopter keep up with a team of jets?

Is there a new show coming that these toys are based on?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:07:25 PM »

^comic, I believe
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »

Yeah.

I was the same. The last Hasbro thing I bought was their MP Starscream and Prime and before that the G1 re-issues. I started to dig those fancy updated ones (Blitzwing, Springer and such) but I was told the quality was poor so passed on them. I seriously considered some of the 3rd party stuff as well but the cost drove me away, especially with so many Masterpieces coming out in such a shot span.

My brother had Superion as a kid (still does in storage) and the new one is WAY better. Bigger, sturdier, more poseable, the robot modes are more true to the show. My biggest beef is Hasbro changing some of the vehicles around. How can some helicopter keep up with a team of jets?

IDW is changing the mainline Transformers comic to "Combiner Wars" in the coming months, which is where the toys are going to be featured.

Don't worry too much, wave 2 has the final Aerialbot so you can replace "Alpha Bravo" in your Superion. 

Basically Hasbro mixed up the characters a bit for this line to start, but will pretty much release all the original members within one or two waves for each combiner (Superion, Menasor, Defensor, etc.)

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 01:33:55 AM »

Yeah.

IDW is changing the mainline Transformers comic to "Combiner Wars" in the coming months, which is where the toys are going to be featured.

Don't worry too much, wave 2 has the final Aerialbot so you can replace "Alpha Bravo" in your Superion. 

Basically Hasbro mixed up the characters a bit for this line to start, but will pretty much release all the original members within one or two waves for each combiner (Superion, Menasor, Defensor, etc.)

Alpha Bravo seems to be permanent but Slingshot is going to be in the Japanese release so maybe we'll be able to get it here at some point. The black jet will replace the yellow race car (Dragstrip?)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »

Yeah.

Alpha Bravo seems to be permanent but Slingshot is going to be in the Japanese release so maybe we'll be able to get it here at some point. The black jet will replace the yellow race car (Dragstrip?)

Yeah sorry.  Air Raid (black jet) is wave 2 of the deluxes.  Slingshot (white jet) is currently Takara (Japan) only, but there is a rumour that he will see a release later in the year (wave 4 possibly).  Which, like you said, makes sense since he will be released with the Takara version.

The belief is that Alpha Bravo (the helicopter) was done simply because it allowed for an easy repaint into Blades for Defensor.  However seeing as how they are releasing Slingshot in Japan, it doesn't really matter.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »

Yeah sorry.  Air Raid (black jet) is wave 2 of the deluxes.  Slingshot (white jet) is currently Takara (Japan) only, but there is a rumour that he will see a release later in the year (wave 4 possibly).  Which, like you said, makes sense since he will be released with the Takara version.

The belief is that Alpha Bravo (the helicopter) was done simply because it allowed for an easy repaint into Blades for Defensor.  However seeing as how they are releasing Slingshot in Japan, it doesn't really matter.

The only problem with getting Slingshot is that I read Superion will be sold as a set, rather than seperately. Kinda $$.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »

The only problem with getting Slingshot is that I read Superion will be sold as a set, rather than seperately. Kinda $$.

I went back and checked on some TF sites and there was a report that someone working at TRU found listings for Slingshot and the remaining Stunticon (I forget which name, Dead End?) in their system. 

So there is a chance they will see release down the line.  I would wait for Botcon and SDCC before making any decision to buy the Takara version.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »

I went back and checked on some TF sites and there was a report that someone working at TRU found listings for Slingshot and the remaining Stunticon (I forget which name, Dead End?) in their system. 

So there is a chance they will see release down the line.  I would wait for Botcon and SDCC before making any decision to buy the Takara version.

Maybe there are 4 different jets in name only...

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »

Maybe there are 4 different jets in name only...

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that Slingshot is a repaint of Firefly so it would be 4 different mold and not just names.

Also, here is a pic of Viper (Powerglide repaint in Rattler colours w/ a new head) along with other wave 3 items:

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=26002&ss=as