JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe Renegades video clips on on YouTube.com  (Read 39349 times)

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Renegades video clips on on YouTube.com
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 03:05:16 PM »

I saw part one of the arashikage storyline. I just don't get why hasbro (or every writer in every continuity outside the Marvel comic)continually has to reduce stormy down to a plain ol dirt-bag bad guy out for revenge. Sure the circumstances are altered some this time around (and not too badly either), but the whole dynamic of SE and SS having been really close friends is lost. It makes SS more one dimensional. This was the same in the movie. For me one of the key attributes to the SS character is his inner turmoil, the conflict inside him. It makes him more interesting. But I guess that's expecting too much.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
I saw part one of the arashikage storyline. I just don't get why hasbro (or every writer in every continuity outside the Marvel comic)continually has to reduce stormy down to a plain ol dirt-bag bad guy out for revenge. Sure the circumstances are altered some this time around (and not too badly either), but the whole dynamic of SE and SS having been really close friends is lost. It makes SS more one dimensional. This was the same in the movie. For me one of the key attributes to the SS character is his inner turmoil, the conflict inside him. It makes him more interesting. But I guess that's expecting too much.  ::)

I think the problem for me is that I continue to compare something new to what I already know. Is storm shadow more one dimensional? maybe. If I had only the Sunbow cartoon experience to draw from then I would say he's got way more depth to him then he did with Sunbow.  The other question for me is which representation of Storm Shadow do I like best?

Perhaps we should give them a chance to flesh out the character in future episodes, we've had years of  previous material and only 2 epsisodes of renegades  in which to form our opinions. Who knows what further episodes will reveal.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2010, 09:21:51 AM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"

You're comparing the original comic run versus a kids cartoon or 2 hour movie.  The level at which the comic was written and explored the characters can never be matched by a 22 minute/13-52 episode show, or a 2 hour movie.

Also, some fans need to stop with the "ARAH IS THE BE ALL" attitude.  It is the same thing that was going on in the TF fandom for the past decade or so.  This is new and different.  Don't like it, fine, but stop saying it isn't as good as the original run when they are apples and oranges.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »

^ +1
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »

I just saw Renegades for the first time (ep 1 to 5).. and man I love that series! Very good job on this one Hasbro! I'm an hardcore vintage ARAH lover and collector (and the og. Sunbow series is the best cartoon ever made in my book), but hey, you need to revitalise that series for a younger audience..it's not even a choice in this domain! I'm 100% sure that the sales are going to be way better with a comic to back the toyline.. and I'm very happy 'bout that! I would like to see a lot of more Joes on the shelves, kids carrying some Joe backpacks and lunch boxes to school, others running in the toy aisles and asking their parents to get the new SE figure.. that would be nice!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

Is it just me, or does this look like Loop drew it? I am seeing some distinct similarities in the style.

Mind you if he did draw it, there'd be better proportioning on the figures.  :wink:

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 02:27:29 AM »

Quote from: "canprime"
You're comparing the original comic run versus a kids cartoon or 2 hour movie.  The level at which the comic was written and explored the characters can never be matched by a 22 minute/13-52 episode show, or a 2 hour movie.
Actually, I don't think the comparison is unfair. In the comic run (also for kids btw), SE/SS origin was basically outlined in issues 26/27. I’m not talking about the entire saga, I’m merely talking about the basic framework of the character. In the comic the SS/SE friendship was a huge part of SS’s character development and led to him being a more complex character. The cartoon, as did the movie, leaves out the friendship, which is a major part of what made the whole SS/SE dynamic interesting.

Also, some fans need to stop with the "ARAH IS THE BE ALL" attitude.  It is the same thing that was going on in the TF fandom for the past decade or so.  This is new and different.
Actually I said as much on page one of this thread when I said people need to drop preconceptions of characters.

Don't like it, fine, but stop saying it isn't as good as the original run when they are apples and oranges.
Actually, they’re not apples and oranges. They’re both GI Joe, with the supposedly same characters. Again, as I posted on the first page, it’s a tough balancing act. Where do you draw the line between making a character new and yet still not deviating so much that he is not even the same character anymore. I agree an open mind is necessary, but in a reboot comparisons are inevitable. Even if only on a subconscious level.

Bottom line is, all I was saying is that SS loses some of his complexity and intrigue by not having that close friendship with SE or inner conflict, and thus some of the emotional interest in the SS vs. SE plot is lost. And my point was that it almost seems as though Hasbro has made a conscious decision to make the SS/SE dynamic a simplistic black and white good vs. evil relationship. It's a bit disapointing is all.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »

Episodes 6 and 7 were great.
Story is really moving along and we got a cameo :)
Say no to AFA.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »

Episode 6 (Part 1 of 2)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVJxD9Dvws[/youtube]

Episode 6 (Part 2 of 2)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9FGzDKk-FI[/youtube]

Episode 7 (Part 1 of 2)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45v9y7tp22Q[/youtube]

Episode 7 (Part 2 of 2)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOVYoPDNH9g[/youtube]
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »

WOW!  Stormy is now a member of Cobra!
Lurking

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 10:53:38 PM »

I really love the tie in with Vince his little brother and Duke saving Skoog (Tripwire) from a landmine!
Lurking

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I really love the tie in with Vince his little brother and Duke saving Skoog (Tripwire) from a landmine!
Stalker!!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.