JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Any of you guys into McFarlane Sports Picks?  (Read 2368 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Any of you guys into McFarlane Sports Picks?
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:42:26 AM »

While I'm not INTO into them, I ran into two today at TRU when I went looking for (and successfully found!) the RoC Senior Ranking Officer packs that I just had to pick up.  Which makes three that I have now, and two of these you guys should be familiar with.  The first one that I already had was Warren Moon, the most prolific passer in pro football history if you include his CFL years.  Of course the Moon I have is in a Houston Oilers uniform  ;D  Also, coincidentally, my brother did some legal work for Mr. Moon in the early '90s.

The second one, which I found today and you guys will probably be familiar with, is Hakeem Olajuwon of Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors fame (guess which uni my Hakeem is in?).

The third one which I also found today is Nolan Ryan.  Nolan is of course a Texas legend, and the figure I got today depicts him from a famous scene during his Rangers years: blood on his chin and uniform after he took a line drive to the chin but stayed in the game.

So now I have my three favorite childhood sports icons on my shelf in super-detailed form.  Now if I could just get Nolan in an Astros uniform... ;D

And don't be shy about putting those hockey McFarlanes out there either.  I'm a rare south Texan...I freaking love hockey (favorite team's the Stars, of course) and Ed Belfour was always my favorite player, even during his Blackhawks days BEFORE he came to the Stars.  So I'll probably know the hockey names you guys throw out.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:45:19 AM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Any of you guys into McFarlane Sports Picks?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »

As a sports junky, I am very familiar with all three players you mentioned.  Hakeem was one of the biggst mistakes the Raptors have ever made.  He was done at that point in his career.

Hate to break it but Nolan Ryan has been released three times in a Astros uniform by McFarlane: one in 12 inches and the other two in 6" inches (as chase figures):

Here are pictures of the 12" Ryan in a Astros uniform: 12" Ryan

Below are the 6" chase Astros versions.

Version 1

Version 2

As for myself, I collect Toronto Maple Leafs, Pittsburgh Steelers and Mario Lemiuex.  The only 12" figures I have are Jerome Bettis, Mario Lemiuex and Wayne Gretzky (left him boxed).  The rest are 6".  Living in the Toronto area is sometimes a pain the ass to find the Maple Leaf players due to scalpers.  And yet when I travel around Canada for work, I find tons of them.  Go figure.

Even some of the exclusive packs are a pain in the ass to find.  I am still looking for the following McFarlane sets:

Steelers 3 - Pack - Roetlhisberger, Ward and Porter
Superbowl 2 Pack - Roethlisberger and Holmes
Steelers Legends 3 Pack - Greene, Lambert and Bettis

I think I may just get them off ebay as I have given up ever finding the 3-packs in Canada.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »

i onoy have my belfour, in tronto uniform, thats it for sports.
i do have some of mcfarlane's other stuff dragons, kiss, jim morrison, matrix, hanna barbara
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
Hate to break it but Nolan Ryan has been released three times in a Astros uniform by McFarlane: one in 12 inches and the other two in 6" inches (as chase figures):

I knew that Nolan had been released in an Astros uni before, but I never EVER saw either of them at retail or I would have picked him up.  The version of him in the rainbow-striped shoulder uni where he's going through his release is the one I want...that's the Nolan I remember from being a kid.  LMAO I still remember the first pack of baseball cards I ever got at age 5...

"Dad, I got an Astro in here!"
"Who is it son?"
"Nolan Ryan!  Is he a good player?"
*Dad, chuckling* "Yeah son, he's pretty good."

Ah those were the days, when I only understood the basic concept of sports.  My dad laughed pretty hard when I asked him when the (high school) Shiner Comanches were gonna play the Oilers.  ;D
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »

Chase figures are next to impossible to find at retail, which explains why you never saw those Ryan in stores  Scalpers get to them first because they have no lives.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:41:24 PM »

I have the 2002 Hockey Canadian Gold Metal sets and Don Cherry.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!