JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: May Newsletter Discussion - Gray Market P/CP  (Read 7871 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
May Newsletter Discussion - Gray Market P/CP
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »

I really liked this point/counterpoint, and I was curious about what the rest of you guys think.  I'm not gonna lie, I've bought some gray market figures, too.  I long ago learned that patience is in fact a virtue, and if you wait long enough you'll almost always find what you're looking for, so I try to stay away from being the first to buy new figs.  However, even though it came from a reputable place, I'm pretty sure my Volcano Viper that I reviewed last month was gray market.  I also purchased 3 other figures...the now-cancelled Desert Battle Ripcord, cancelled Arctic Threat Duke, and Pursuit of Cobra Snow Job.  I wasn't sure if Snow Job was going to be cancelled or not, and he has such cool gear (and so much of it!) that I wasn't going to risk him being cancelled.  However, both to make myself feel right and to get more of that gear, I'm going to buy another one when he comes out in the PoC line.

So what do you guys think?  I'm going to stick with buying only cancelled figs...and I don't feel bad about that at all.  I wonder what would happen to them if they weren't sold gray market...melted back down?  Given to charity?  Anybody have any idea?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: May Newsletter Discussion - Gray Market P/CP
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »

Wether Hasbro knows or cares what is happening with this Gray Market, they are looking at the forums to see what we the community say about the figures.  I personally will not buy these figures because I like my factory packaging.  My basement is not ready yet for me to open the packages to display them with pride. 
Lurking

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »

I only buy stuff that I know won't make it to retail.

For example the initial wave of PoC stuff that included the RoC actor likenesses. Or items that have a pre-production paint deco on it that differs from what is released/will be released at retail.

I don't see this as taking money from Hasbro, as they weren't going to release these for sale anyway.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »

Gray market Animated Bumblebee, ROC Breaker and POC(?) Ice Viper.  Tried to get a ROC Duke too but that never arrived.......

I have to think Hasbro knows about it - they check the boards and eVilbay - and likely doesn't care too much.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:43:24 AM »

Quote from: "Stealth Viper"
I only buy stuff that I know won't make it to retail.

Same applies for me.  I won't waste my time with figures that will show up at retail. 

Do I feel bad for Hasbro that people are buying figures overseas from China?  Nope.  After all, they decided not to use American or Canadian labour force to manufacturer the toys. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:21:04 AM »

The sad fact is that the gray market is a good source for stuff that would be harder to get. $6 is a better price for getting a Python Viper than having to buy an entire vehicle set.

Most of the pieces I've picked up have become available but having a POC Ice Viper that doesn't seem to be on the release schedule anymore is a nice extra. I do wish I had Volcano Vipers when the were up.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

Gyre-Viper

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »

After dinner at con, during the charity auction, I won the Shadow Tracker art by John Warden. Upon winning this piece, John came up to me and asked if I wanted him to write anything on it or sign it etc.  I said yes and asked him to promise in writing, on the art, that Shadow Tracker would get released. Asking him to do so led to talking about how for a while we weren't sure if we were getting Shadow Tracker etc... and that led to him saying "Well you buy stuff from China." (Which, by the way, if you have a hefty public bought-from-China reputation like myself, it's always kinda hair-on-the-neck-standing to be recognized in person by the individual who designed
said bought-from-China merchandise). Which then I replied "I'm not out to screw over Hasbro... Hasbro screwed me over." Obviously I didn't mean it so black and white (and Mr. Warden knew what I meant). I was referring to things like Volcano Viper... and so John and I briefly spoke about Volcano Viper (who John designed) and he was unaware of how many had sold through WS and the other sellers. He knew they'd been sold but he didn't realize it was in the hundreds.  And I told him... that $12.99 free shipping... that's great for a canceled figure.  But for a popular figure that everyone was going to buy anyways... (even if it meant eating another mole pod)... if Volcano Viper were to make it to single card retail at any point, for $6.99-$8.99 ... it would still sell, no matter how many had been previously sold on ebay through China.  And then either he or one of the other people listening said "but he's a vehicle driver."  And I said "he's whatever the person who buys it wants it to be.  And besides, he doesn't even FIT in the Lava Pod."  Anyways...not sure what you can really get out of that anecdote but I figured it was at least relative to the subject at hand.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:09:34 PM »

Quote from: "Gyre-Viper"
Anyways...not sure what you can really get out of that anecdote but I figured it was at least relative to the subject at hand.

I really enjoyed that anecdote!  And I'm glad that designer knows how much we appreciate his work, even if it doesn't get released.  I also hope he read my review of Volcano Viper in the April newsletter.  I FREAKING HATE the Mole Pod, I think it is the WORST GI Joe Vehicle EVER, but I'd buy another one just for another Volcano Viper.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »

That story is awesome, and it's great to know that Mr. Warden got to hear first hand how much people like figures he has designed and what they are willing to do to get them.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

Gyre-Viper

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
I also hope he read my review of Volcano Viper in the April newsletter. 

I'm sure he did.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »

I do buy from the gray market.
I often buy multiples of a single figure and I'll usually buy one carded either online or in a store and the rest I'll get loose on the cheap on the GM. It's great for army builders and custom fodders.
Say no to AFA.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »

I just bought from the grey market 5 mins ago.  :shifty:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.