JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What do you use to replace... ?  (Read 2498 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
What do you use to replace... ?
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »

This is not a secret at all... some vintage Joe parts and accessories are really hard to find. I'm thinking about:
  • 1983 APC seat belts
  • 1985 EELS mouthpiece
  • 1985 Moray Hydrofoil spolight lens
  • 1985 Snow Serpent missile stand
  • 1985 Dusty bipod
  • 1985 Heavy-Metal mic
  • 1987 Falcon antenna
  • etc.

Even on eBay, those parts and accessories don't show up very often... So, what do you do to remplace them? Have you find a good remplacement part that works pretty good like the original?

For example, I replaced the accessories below by:
  • 1985 EELS air nose --> I used a 1986 Wet-Suit black mouthpiece (but I still prefer the original EELS part...)
  • 1985 Dusty bipod --> I used Marauder John FAMAS Assault Rifle (my best $1 investment!)
  • 1985 Heavy-Metal mic --> one of my friend used Marauder John Helmet mic
  • 1987 Falcon antenna --> I used a black paper clip cut in half (it looks really great!)

But I'm still looking for replacement tips for others. Any ideas?

Thanks to all,

Martin
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:52:11 PM by martin-montreal »

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
Re: What do you do to replace... ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:23:16 PM »

I like the idea of this thread!

Most of the 'replacing' I do is just weapon/equipment swapping from individual characters.  All of my vintage Joe figures and vehicles were secondhand, so I never knew just what was missing in the first place!  See, I didn't even know the APC was supposed to have seatbelts. :wink:

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas/tips at the moment.  Sorry, mate. :-[
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »

All mine were from when I was a kid and the rest were things I got at garage sales/flea markets etc. I think the only complete figs I have are Zartan, Snake Eyes v3, Scarlett, and Storm Shadow v2. Those I got at a convention.

I likely wont ever complete the rest. I am starting to think about replacement parts for a few. My Snake Eyes v2 has a broken crotch for example and thats bugging the crap out of me. I've actually substituted it for an extra Iron Grenadier crotch I had and painted the red belt black. But there are a few others with broken thumbs and crotches too sadly.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »

I spent around 4-5 years completing my domestic figure collection.  In some cases, it was just better off buying a complete figure than waiting around for an accessory to show up for trade or sale.   Factoring in that reproductions have found their way into the hobby and 25th figures come with very similar accessories, I can't imagine going through this process today.  Rolling the dice with this added uncertainty is not my idea of fun.

One cheap way of obtaining 1985 EELS air noses; get the blue accessory pack versions and used a black sharpie.   I did this for 7 of the blue ones I found over time. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
One cheap way of obtaining 1985 EELS air noses; get the blue accessory pack versions and used a black sharpie.   I did this for 7 of the blue ones I found over time. 

Thanks, even the blue accessory pack version is hard to find. I never saw one for sale... (I'm looking for 2...  :wink:)

And about my custom Falcon's antenna, here is a pic (very easy and low cost to do...):

Martin

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use to replace... ?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »

When we compare the vintage and the 25th ann. line: Some accessories are really similar. Can anyone picture and/or tell if the 25th accessory will replace the vintage one on:
  • Snow Serpent: the missile and stand
  • EELs: mouthpiece

Martin

Metro

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »

I can take care of the Snow Serpent's missile.  Other than a slight colour variation, the missiles are just about the same size.  Unfortunately the slot on the 25th anniversary missile is smaller than the '85 one and can't be attached to the '85 backpack.  The darker missile in the pictures is the original release.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »

Quote from: "Metro"
I can take care of the Snow Serpent's missile.  Other than a slight colour variation, the missiles are just about the same size.  Unfortunately the slot on the 25th anniversary missile is smaller than the '85 one and can't be attached to the '85 backpack.  The darker missile in the pictures is the original release.

Thanks a lot! That was the kind of information I was looking for.

Now I have to find about the EELS mouthpiece...  :wink:

Martin