JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: A awesome surprise in my latest acquisition  (Read 4176 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
A awesome surprise in my latest acquisition
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »

First a bit of background - Every Wednesday a group of us from the comic shop go for food.  These guys were just acquaintances at the comic shop, but after a year of hanging out and going to toy shows and comic con's they've become good friends.  My one friend just bought a condo and I helped him move.  This Wednesday he brought in his last box of toys he had.

Now the story... This box he brought in this week had G.I. Joe.  It was his collection from when he was a kid.  He has seen my collection so he said I could just have his stuff.  I opened the box and found a Tiger Fly, Tiger Cat, Pulverizer, Slam, LCV, Triple T, Ferret, Skystorm X Wing Chopper, Coastal Defender, Demon, and Evader.  The vehicles were played with and some small things were missing.  No big deal really.  That is expected with vehicles from the 80's.

But the figures, there's another story.  His figures were in mint condition.  No broken crotches.  No broken thumbs.  All joints in tight condition.

There was Tiger Force Roadblock, 1986 Roadblock, Beachhead, Triple T Sarge, Lightfoot, Wild Bill, IG Ferret (to name a few).  Several of these will replace figures in my collection that have broken crotches and loose joints.  But the piece I went crazy for was a mint condition 1989 Night Viper.  The rifle is in perfect condition.  The joints are very tight.  But... the night vision scope (and head posts) are in mint condition.  My Night Viper's night vision scope broke shortly after I got it in 1989, so I've been missing that piece for a long time.  And it is rare to find a mind condition Night Viper at any of the shows.  I couldn't believe I found one.

He wanted to give me his collection.  I just couldn't do it because I love the pieces he had.  So I offered him some money and he gladly took it.  I couldn't just take the Night Viper.  I had to buy it from him.  I have bought quite a few collections over the years.  Some have been great.  Some have been very disappointing, but this is definitely one of my favourite collections I have found.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: A awesome surprise in my latest acquisition
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »

Good for you for being a stand up guy and putting money in his hand. Too many people would say "Hey, free is free and he offered" but you know there is value there and took the high road.

Positive Karma coming your way.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »

Good for you for being a stand up guy and putting money in his hand. Too many people would say "Hey, free is free and he offered" but you know there is value there and took the high road.

We were both very happy with the transaction.  He knows his stuff will be on my shelf proudly displayed, and he's got some cash to spend at the toy shows in October.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »

To give also when the other one least expects it, is one of the most authentic ways of "giving". Thanks for sharing SnowHawk.
2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »

We were both very happy with the transaction.  He knows his stuff will be on my shelf proudly displayed, and he's got some cash to spend at the toy shows in October.

Which toy show?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »

Snowhawk-

"what goes around comes around...."

Being the kind person you are sending me the WHALE for free just was so awesome and i'm in such thanks for it, and this happened kindess is returned. Couldn't of happened to a better person, so glad to hear that dude!

I'm really having a blast from the past, and so silly childlike excited to be restoring this awesome green and black beauty!

Yo Joe Bro

:)
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:12:55 PM »

Awesome story and find!  Truly inspiring!
Quote from: SnowHawk on September 09, 2011, 04:13:42 PM
Quote from: morgardee on September 09, 2011, 03:21:44 PM

Which toy show?

I believe there are several in October:

Sunday, October 9th, 2011
Holiday Inn Burlington Hotel & Conference Centre

Sunday, October 16th, 2011
39th Annual Canada's GREATEST Collectors Fall Toy Show & Sale
Downsview Park 40 Carl Rd. Studio 3. Toronto

Sunday, October 30th, 2011
Action Figure Expo
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel - Toronto Airport
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »

Which toy show?

The two that I am heading to are:

Burlington - Oct 9
Action Figure Expo - Oct 30
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:49:11 AM by SnowHawk »

Rockhammer

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Joe Repro Parts
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 11:49:34 PM »

Really cool story, man! Congrats on your new additions!
Need custom reproduction or custom replacement G.i.Joe parts? Drop by www.joereproparts.com

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »

Congrats on your new acquisitions, and kudos on how you 'repaid' the kindness of your friend. Very honorable!
Silent Dusty