JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Montreal Comicon September 11th & 12th  (Read 16240 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Montreal Comicon September 11th & 12th
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 12:16:10 AM »

And the coolest is that Herb Trimpe actually never got to draw this character in the GI joe comic book. So i asked him "could you please draw him as you would've if you had to draw him at the time". He was pleased to. Of course I brought my mint on card specimen so that he could use it as a specimen, I came prepared for my special request. And I didn't even have to tell him to make it funny, the guy has a natural sense of humour and I was happy that he made the character miss a mine, which shouldn't have happened according to the filecard that Larry Hama wrote, and I quote: "Lightfoot has elevated beeing careful to an artform...Lightfoot may take twice as long to clear an area, but at least you won't get any nasty surprises". Not true anymore for me!  ;D  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
And the coolest is that Herb Trimpe actually never got to draw this character in the GI joe comic book. So i asked him "could you please draw him as you would've if you had to draw him at the time". He was pleased to. Of course I brought my mint on card specimen so that he could use it as a specimen, I came prepared for my special request. And I didn't even have to tell him to make it funny, the guy has a natural sense of humour and I was happy that he made the character miss a mine, which shouldn't have happened according to the filecard that Larry Hama wrote, and I quote: "Lightfoot has elevated beeing careful to an artform...Lightfoot may take twice as long to clear an area, but at least you won't get any nasty surprises". Not true anymore for me!  ;D  :lol:

Very nice.

How come you didn't ask Larry Hama to draw lightfoot for you instead?

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »

Quote from: "Madman"
Very nice.

Larry Hama didn't seem to give a bizwacks about Lightfoot when I showed him the figure....On the other hand, Mr. Trimpe was very honored to draw him for me and it showed.
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »

Yeah, Larry is a really laidback sorta guy! ;D
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »

I forgot that Larry drew a sketch of Snake Eyes . I bought it to have an authenticated souvenir from him but it wasn't much for the sketch itself. It's just Snake Eyes, everyone must have requested this to Larry Hama so many times. But now looking at the other books he signed for me, I don't need this as much as I though I would so I'll just give it to a personal friend of mine who collects comic book artwork and is not expecting it.
2 + 2 = 22

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »

Very nice.

Larry Hama didn't seem to give a bizwacks about Lightfoot when I showed him the figure....On the other hand, Mr. Trimpe was very honored to draw him for me and it showed.

Was it that he didn't care to do it or didn't recall the character? Don't think Hama would turn down a request. He's done so many characters across so many lines, it's tough to remember them all....but you did have the fig as a reference.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »

Very nice.

Was it that he didn't care to do it or didn't recall the character? Don't think Hama would turn down a request. He's done so many characters across so many lines, it's tough to remember them all....but you did have the fig as a reference.

Doesn't matter anymore. He didn't turn down the request either. I think he was just not having a good moment, and then all of a sudden this annoying geek (me) arrives with his blurry question and that probably didn't help his situation. I was just too excited to ask him about Lightfoot, and had great expectations for an answer. I can't remember what my question was anymore, but I recall that it came out clumsy, and I don't blame Mr. Hama if he didn't undertand at all what I may have been babbling about. I have a tremendous respect for him and the fact that he shaped the grounds for what the Real American Hero storylines are to this day. Guess that next time, I'll stick with asking him about Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow. But I'm not pondering over that. I didn't get the response I was expecting from Mr. Hama, but I guess again that unexpected are the only thing that one should expect at all times.

Mr. Trimpe's sketch did triumph over that very awkward moment. I paid more than 20 bucks for my sketch, but really, for a Lightfoot fan, this means everything to my world.

My souvenir of the moment is Mr. Trimpe handing me the paper for me to turn it around, and when I saw the sketch that he finished, I remember smiling and then exploding in laughter, and boy, I saw Mr. Trimpe show a big toothed smile in sign of gratitude. It took him a little over an hour with several interruptions to finish it, but the waiting was well worth it, as he managed to draw something he never drew before and accomplish it with style.
2 + 2 = 22

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »

I know the feeling, latin joe!  One of the usual local artists who used to come to every con, Jose Holder, he would do all kinds of cool sketches for my friends and I.  He wouldn't even charge us for them... so I bought him some comics for him to use as reference and told him to keep them!  Over two cons, he drew me a Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow, and they're facing each other, so I'll have to frame the pictures and put them up on a wall.  I'd walk around, go through some bins, come back to chat with him and see how he was doing, and light up watching him drawn.  The creative process was really fun to watch.  Plus, it was his first time drawing Joe characters, and he thanked me for that opportunity. Felt good, man! ;D
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!