JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: So, thoughts on Retaliation toys?  (Read 15315 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: So, thoughts on Retaliation toys?
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »

I've had them for a week now. I already had The Rock, Cobra Commander, SE and SS from the Amazon packs so I didn't feel the need to buy them again. I just bought a bunch of Red Ninja, Cobra Trooper and Joe Trooper and 1 Zartan.

Zartan has sat one the shelf doing nothing. I thought I was going to hate the figure and I do. It's not Zartan at all. I just a bad looking toy.

Red ninja is good. The lone from the 3 pack is waaaay better then the one in the single pack. He just looks cooler even if it is the exact same mold.

I like the Cobra trooper. My son loves the parachute. I usually army build in sets of 3 but I bought 4 of him so my son can enjoy one.

Joe trooper, I love this figure. He has really grown on me. I agree he looks more like a face character then a troop builder. I wish Hasbro would give the collectors a break some day and offer up a 5 or 10 pack of plain heads. Just make it an Big bad Toy Store exclusive or something. That would inspire the adult collectors to army build more. Anyhow, love the Joe trooper. I took one and cut the peg on his back a bit so it fits better when he doesn't have the cape on. This is the best of wave 1 IMO.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

The only bright accessories he's got are the orange entrenching tool ( which is actually PAINTED orange), and the extra gas mask and cape, but the latter two items have a tan coloured variant. The entrenching tool is mounted on the back of the back and cannot even be seen from the front. Everything else is muted tones/colours.

Saw him at a local store today and he looked pretty good.  I like that you do not need to attach the cape and the orange shovel is on his back, so out of site.  However, the store, an independent toy store in Manhattan, was charging $15 for him.  Tack on another 9% for sales tax.  Good look with that......I passed.  I'll pick him up at a more reasonable price.  That was just silly.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »

The only bright accessories he's got are the orange entrenching tool ( which is actually PAINTED orange), and the extra gas mask and cape, but the latter two items have a tan coloured variant. The entrenching tool is mounted on the back of the back and cannot even be seen from the front. Everything else is muted tones/colours.

Saw him at a local store today and he looked pretty good.  I like that you do not need to attach the cape and the orange shovel is on his back, so out of site.  However, the store, an independent toy store in Manhattan, was charging $15 for him.  Tack on another 9% for sales tax.  Good look with that......I passed.  I'll pick him up at a more reasonable price.  That was just silly.

Yep, that's asking too much. Only reason I bought what I did was because of the TRU sale and my step-son's employee discount--my original plan was to buy ONE Joe trooper and that was it.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »

I hit 2 WMs and they are already gone.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »

People have complained about the plastic and I thought they were being crazy.  To be honest, they are right.  Something is off with it.  Just feels cheap....not like a RoC / PoC figure....more like a generic dollar store figure.  I wonder if the Dollar Joes suffer from the same indignity.  My GI Joe Trooper is very difficult to pose and his feet are crocked.

Emags

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »

Joe Trooper: Love alomst everything about the figure. It has all the articulation you've come to expect from a joe. Good amount of accesories. The only things that bothers me is the long peg for the backpack. It really only fits if you've got the "cape" on, that and the fact that the knees and lower legs appear to be of a cheaper/softer plastic. With the top heaviness of the fig, he tends to topple over...thanks for no figure stands Hasbro.

Ha!  Thought it was me.  Had the exact same problem.  The legs are cheap and he topples over.  His feet seem off too, as in not straight.  I finally put him in the back of the Vamp II and propped him up against the machine gun to stand straight.  I was 98% satisfied with the pose and then wait to move him b/c I am neurotic.  Then discretion was the better part of valour and I just decided to leave well enough alone....I knew if I tried to move him to go from 98% to 100%, he would just collapsed.  Cool mohawk, weak parts.  Done with this line.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

People have complained about the plastic and I thought they were being crazy.  To be honest, they are right.  Something is off with it.  Just feels cheap....not like a RoC / PoC figure....more like a generic dollar store figure.  I wonder if the Dollar Joes suffer from the same indignity.  My GI Joe Trooper is very difficult to pose and his feet are crocked.

For me, the plastic isn't a problem. Its consistent enough with what has gone before and is good quality. Cheapo plastic will have catastrophic problems, like sheering in mid-part, or along "fault lines" and are common in knock-off toys. I've bought dollar store toys on occasion and often the plastic is so cheap that the toy will break taking it out of the package, break on first pose and then literally crumble under ANY stress.

But that is why its so cheap, right? Off-shore toys, like some Japanese toys used to have this problem too.

Bear in mind that the Joe trooper figure has the rocker ankles, I believe--so he can pose in some wonky-looking positions. The trick is to put him on a stand and he'll hold a pose just fine. If you don't have stands, my trusty alternative is a small dollop of poster putty--works just as good as stands in many cases.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

I'd like to revisit my earlier comments:

Come to think about it I  haven't seen Zartan, the joe trooper, the Cobra trooper and the Hiss tank so I can't judge too fast on what the little I've seen.

I'm still disappointed with the graphic quality on the packages.

Just looking now at what fellow Prince-de-Liu did as a Sgt. Slaughter custom using for the body the Retaliation Roadblock figure, all of a sudden my appreciation of that figure just went up by a couple of notches.
2 + 2 = 22

Prince de Lu

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »

I'd like to revisit my earlier comments:

Come to think about it I  haven't seen Zartan, the joe trooper, the Cobra trooper and the Hiss tank so I can't judge too fast on what the little I've seen.

I'm still disappointed with the graphic quality on the packages.

Just looking now at what fellow Prince-de-Liu did as a Sgt. Slaughter custom using for the body the Retaliation Roadblock figure, all of a sudden my appreciation of that figure just went up by a couple of notches.

if you can get Roadblock from the 3 packs, it doesn't have the molded shoulder straps, it will work even better for a slaughter custom

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »

I picked up the red ninja and joe trooper while they were on sale. I really like the red ninja, he looks great in the ninja battles diorama. If these ever make clearance, I'd snap up a few more. I'm really curious to see how the line does with this movie delay. Walmarts near me got exactly one case and I have not seen any movement on them since they got them in. $11 and no movie tie in equals warm pegs.

I like the joe trooper as well. Haven't messed around with him much yet, but he's a pretty cool looking figure. I do like that he has lots of gear. Lots of gear is always good. Fits in pretty decently with the PoC stuff.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »

If you get the Dojo battle 3 figure set, and you want to make Beachhead distinct, then use the un-masked head from the single card GIJOE trooper.
The Sideshow Toys 12" figure has an extra unmasked head that shows that Beachhead has a Ranger-style mohawk, so using the trooper head on the Dojo beachhead figure would work just fine. The only thing missing then would be the (incorrect) red beret tuck into the shoulder epaulet.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »

that Joe trooper Mohawk shuold make it easier for people to do modern sculpt Soap MacTavish customs...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.