JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: So, thoughts on Retaliation toys?  (Read 15310 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: So, thoughts on Retaliation toys?
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »

I finally opened my Fang Boat, and for being a retooled Water Moccasin, it is a very decent toy. 

Before I opened my Fang Boat, I contemplated returning it.  I have the POC with Copperhead and Swamp Viper.  I also have my original from when I was a kid.  After putting it together I really like the design of it.  I even dig the colours.  Even though I hate spring loaded weapons, the launcher works on the Fang Boat.

I even hate to say it but the Swamp Viper that comes with the Fang Boat is one of the best 5 POA figures I've ever seen.  For what they lack in articulation, they make up for it in sculpting detail.  The hands were done really well on that figure.  He also has a really cool head that I am debating doing a head swap with another figure.

The price is right on that vehicle too.  Under $20 after tax, for a classic G.I. Joe vehicle.  You can't go wrong.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:33 PM »

that Joe trooper Mohawk shuold make it easier for people to do modern sculpt Soap MacTavish customs...

I was looking for the "like" button.  ;)
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »

Without reading of the above posts. I really have to say that out of all the figure lines, these I am let down the most. POC was the best yet, and I'm a ARAH O-ring collector at heart, but POC let me dabble a little into the Modern Era. Since then everything has just been not up to par. GO ARAH!
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

Slow Kick

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »

I've only picked up a handful of series 1, but here's my initial thoughts:

The Good:

Zartan: awesome take on the character, and as a low-involvement customizer I always welcome the extra heads. The double holster for throwing knives is cool.

GI Joe Trooper: He looks like a very familiar video game character, but that's a big plus for me. And the extra head is a fairly unique, or at least rarely used, head sculpt, which lets me create new characters.

The Bad:

Snake Eyes w/ Ninja Speed Cycle: I bought this mainly for the bike, which is okay, but I cannot forgive the permanent hand positions of the figure.

The Ugly:

Roadblock: Big, big, BIG disappointment. I've been looking forward to adding The Rock to my collection for the past year, but I can't do much with him because he has a gun permanently attached to his hand! And it's on a unique peg size, so I can't swap it with the empty hand of another character. This design, with objects fixed into hands, is a fundamental violation of the GI Joe design principle, and is unforgivable. :(

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »

Without reading of the above posts. I really have to say that out of all the figure lines, these I am let down the most. POC was the best yet, and I'm a ARAH O-ring collector at heart, but POC let me dabble a little into the Modern Era. Since then everything has just been not up to par. GO ARAH!

Agreed. 

The Retaliation figures are a huge step back compared to the POC versions.  "Cheap" is one the word I use to describe the Retaliation figures (and it's not the price).
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »

The Ugly:

Roadblock: Big, big, BIG disappointment. I've been looking forward to adding The Rock to my collection for the past year, but I can't do much with him because he has a gun permanently attached to his hand! And it's on a unique peg size, so I can't swap it with the empty hand of another character. This design, with objects fixed into hands, is a fundamental violation of the GI Joe design principle, and is unforgivable. :(

If you pick up the 3-pack with "Night Ops" Roadblock, Beach Head, and Kamakura, the hands will swap easily and you will have a normal-handed Rock/Roadblock.  And you will get an awesome black Resolute Roadblock/Night Adder vest to put on him making him look even beefier.

I bought the set mainly for the Roadblock hand swap, but Beach Head is pretty cool.  Kamakura is just ok.  But the set does come with a TON of gear, and that awesome minigun is also included.  If you're not into Kamakura or Beach Head they can always be traded or used for customs fodder.  I was pleased with the three figures and tons of gear for $19.99 though.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Slow Kick

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »

The Ugly:

If you pick up the 3-pack with "Night Ops" Roadblock, Beach Head, and Kamakura, the hands will swap easily and you will have a normal-handed Rock/Roadblock.  And you will get an awesome black Resolute Roadblock/Night Adder vest to put on him making him look even beefier.

I bought the set mainly for the Roadblock hand swap, but Beach Head is pretty cool.  Kamakura is just ok.  But the set does come with a TON of gear, and that awesome minigun is also included.  If you're not into Kamakura or Beach Head they can always be traded or used for customs fodder.  I was pleased with the three figures and tons of gear for $19.99 though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll visit TRU and Silver Snail this wknd and see what I can find there. Not thrilled about having too many doubles of masked characters in my collection (takes away from the uniqueness of SS and SE) but I'll see what's available.