JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Con Sets On E-Bay  (Read 61392 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Con Sets On E-Bay
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »

Quoted from an ebay auction on right now:

"This is auction is for one 2010 CANADIAN GI JOE CONVENTION COBRA NORTH S.N.A.K.E. ARMOR SUIT. THIS PIECE WAS LIMITED TO ONLY 50 PIECES FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD. (...)"

[font=Verdana:209xd8z2]Yeah he's making it sound like Canada is the only country in the world...I'm flattered[/font:209xd8z2] :lol: .[/font:209xd8z2][/color]

"Truly a wonderful piece. Don't miss out! Any questions please call me directly at 416-303-0180."

[font=Verdana:209xd8z2]...[/font:209xd8z2]

[font=Verdana:209xd8z2]I don't mind the fact that he's selling his if that's the case. It's just the listing description that I find rather a bit overdone. But I think this is how a good seller is supposed to sound when he tries to convince you. But he makes one good point: this Snake is a gem, I'll drink to that anytime[/font:209xd8z2]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2010, 01:44:15 AM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
Midnight/1 AM is hindsight.  Nobody expected people to line up that early.  

And as a volunteer, your shitting me if you expect me to play line cop duty at that time and expect to stand up for the rest of the day and then go to the Taste of the Danforth.  

Was the line officially set? Then while it wasn't expected, the ability was there to tell people that the line was unofficial and would not be honored when an official one was set up at the announced time.

The last convention I worked at (a creation Star Trek one in Vancouver) people after lining up for photos with Leonard Nimoy, came out and either entered the official line set for another picture (with Leonard and Bill Shatner) or as some did, created an unofficial one for the single pictures with just Bill. They were told that an official line would not be started immediately and that while they could line up where a line started, that it was not an official line and that there spot might not be the same when we "transferred" that line to the proper spot once that space was free.

I understand that as a volunteer that you shouldn't "Have" to be out there, but as a volunteer at my convention, I don't "have" to attend meetings, do extra work, stay up until 4 in the morning working on things that have imploded and need quick fixes. Nobody volunteering for fan-based convention "Have" to do anything, but some of us just do it, because it is what is required. A couple years ago I did one stint where I was on site working at 9am on a Friday, and had to be dragged off to get sleep about 4pm Saturday, I did have to keep working, but my obligation was to keep stuff operating, so I did.

I'm not having a go at your expense Pete, and sorry if it sounds that way. The point I am trying to make is that as the con grows, and attendee numbers increase, that the convention needs to expect and plan to handle things of that nature, including looking at increasing staff to ensure there are people on hand to take charge.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »

I'm new to all this, but I was a little surprised and nervous about the unsupervised line.  No one wants to wait 7 hours on the sidewalk and someone cut in line, but having said that, I was surprised at how smooth it all went, a credit to the people there.  However, I think I would be more comfortable with some supervision on the line.  As for the comment about not having to wait in line and then be up all day, what do you think the rest of us did?  I had 1 hour and 45 minutes of sleep.

spiderpumpkin

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2010, 04:21:56 AM »

There sure are a lot of sets on ebay.  It seems like people that didn't get the SNAKE are selling sets.  Maybe they feel the set is incomplete without the SNAKE?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:24:05 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:55 AM »

Quote from: "spiderpumpkin"
There sure are a lot of sets on ebay.  It seems like people that didn't get the SNAKE are selling sets.  Maybe they feel the set is incomplete without the SNAKE?

nope. just a**hole opportunists.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2010, 08:27:09 AM »

wow, finally read through all 6 pages.  I thought I was in the early 50s in the line-up but someone mentioned they were #53 with two guys from montreal ahead of him, so I guess I was even further back.  But I do recall Scramble coming so very close to Raptor, NFC, and I with those coveted SNAKE bands so I had to be no more than 60th in line.

The blonde chick with the broken leg actually had a great idea. She suggested that the wrist bands be numbered - yes it wouldn't have prevented the family of 10 from conning the con set, but it would have added some order to the line. 

When I arrived folks were on the street when there was a perfectly fine side-walk to stand on and I think Sheraton Management had to ask that we line-up on the side-walk.  And I'll admit I was a bit concerned with the line and the incident with the SNAKE band distribution that got Mike out to investigate who cut into the line.

Plus, and I'll be honest - I'm sure the guy was harmless, but the Beatle Baily dude in army fatigues eating his shreaded wheat not lining up but staring at us in the line had me a bit uneasy.  Thankfully there was the comical antics of NFC and Raptor to pass the time.

Pete the Greek I commend you on having enough stamina to leave the convention and attend the Taste on the Danforth!  WOOPAHH!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"
wow, finally read through all 6 pages.  I thought I was in the early 50s in the line-up but someone mentioned they were #53 with two guys from montreal ahead of him, so I guess I was even further back.  But I do recall Scramble coming so very close to Raptor, NFC, and I with those coveted SNAKE bands so I had to be no more than 60th in line.

The blonde chick with the broken leg actually had a great idea. She suggested that the wrist bands be numbered - yes it wouldn't have prevented the family of 10 from conning the con set, but it would have added some order to the line. 

When I arrived folks were on the street when there was a perfectly fine side-walk to stand on and I think Sheraton Management had to ask that we line-up on the side-walk.  And I'll admit I was a bit concerned with the line and the incident with the SNAKE band distribution that got Mike out to investigate who cut into the line.

Plus, and I'll be honest - I'm sure the guy was harmless, but the Beatle Baily dude in army fatigues eating his shreaded wheat not lining up but staring at us in the line had me a bit uneasy.  Thankfully there was the comical antics of NFC and Raptor to pass the time.

Pete the Greek I commend you on having enough stamina to leave the convention and attend the Taste on the Danforth!  WOOPAHH!

I believe people were lining up at the side of the side walk on the street because the sprinklers were on and the sidewalk was all wet, at least it was when I got there at around 4:30.  We were happy to get back onto the side walk when it dried up.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »

The blonde chick with the broken leg actually had a great idea [...]

I remember her. She was few people behind us. She wasn't happy at all when the SNAKE tickets were distributed and she wasn't getting one. But, that was Scramble fault  :wink: After validating the number of tickets distributed, Scramble give some more (and I think she got one).

I didn't see people cutting the line. There were few guys behind us that left the line to go to bed when they got their wristbands. They came back in line (where they were previously) to meet their friends. But, they didn't want the SNKAE and they didn't get their ticket for it. So I didn't see a problem with that and they were really cool guys.

Martin

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2010, 02:09:58 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
I remember her. She was few people behind us. She wasn't happy at all when the SNAKE tickets were distributed and she wasn't getting one. But, that was Scramble fault  :wink: After validating the number of tickets distributed, Scramble give some more (and I think she got one).

Mind I correct? It wasn't Scrambles' fault. It was his mistake. You probably meant to tease Scramble but I just wanted to clarify this for people who didn't see what happened.
2 + 2 = 22

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
Quote from: "martin-montreal"

Mind I correct? It wasn't Scrambles' fault. It was his mistake. You probably meant to tease Scramble but I just wanted to clarify this for people who didn't see what happened.

And he corrected that mistake almost immediately, so it really wasn't a big issue at all

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »

I was number "50" when the mistake was made, I was like woooooh Im lucky and I felt bad for the folks behind me b/c we counted 30 or so infront of us and knew something was wrong.  Then it was set straight and it was all good.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

Quote from: "master_stanley"
[...] the later batch that came in said the atm broke so many of us had to sell things below cost to move stuff.  

I don't get this comment. That was clear from Mike :

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
CURRENCY
There is a bank machine on the premises, and banks surrounding the area so you will have an opportunity to get more funds should you need them throughout the weekend.

We suggest you plan ahead and come fully loaded! What you don't spend, you can always put back in the bank upon returning home.

And making a withdraw from a private ATM always costs higher in fees (about $3,50) than taking money from your own Bank atm. No excuses for that... I had the money I was planning to spend, when my wallet was empty it was the end for me.

Martin