JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Cobra De A?o custom... almost.  (Read 3677 times)

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Cobra De A?o custom... almost.
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:54:59 PM »

I had this figure planned for MONTHS... since before June.
I saw a STAR Force 2-pack at a TRU back then, on sale (yay!) so I picked it up with the intention of using him as Cobra De A?o. I procrastinated a bit before trying out the dye. Initially, it didn't work too well... so I was determined to try again. Unfortunately, the later bath (which had to wait until I got enough more parts to dye since it's a long process) was a mistake, mostly by my fault. I left the heat on too high, and he stayed in not only the longest, but in pieces. Everything on him warped except the head... Most of it isn't really that noticeable, but the torso is a mess. It went from _/ to being |_? in shape. Still, I painted it, if only because I was curious how it would look if I hadn't failed. I think it would've looked cool (although the yellow needs some more layers to hide the detail underneath).

While the figure itself, even if it had been a success, wasn't too much of a difficult project, I had the COOLEST idea for an arsenal for him that would've required enough work and dedication to make up for it. I'm keeping it top secret for now, so no one tries to steal my idea.  :wink:

Does anyone have an extra one of these guys (is his name Vector? I never remember) so I can try again?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »

Test paint schmes are a great way to get a figure together. You have the basic paint scheme, try experimenting with modding other parts to fit the need.

And don't be too down about the dye failure, it happens to the best of us.

We'll ok, it happens to me. ;-) I screwed up and spoiled a few legs myself just this weekend.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 08:54:29 AM »

Yeah, I tried a rit dye on the Warthog Sgt Slaughter and had it a bit hot as well and it took me years to find a cheap Sgt Slaughter to customize. I've now got another one I can try again with. Just remember, low heat and I wait about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »

I screwed up and spoiled a few legs myself just this weekend.

Aw nuts. Only 6,237 pairs left.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »

Quote from: ""Jon S.""
I screwed up and spoiled a few legs myself just this weekend.

Aw nuts. Only 6,237 pairs left.

Amen to that man. (thanks Hal) Unfortunately I'm finding myself insanely short of leg screws. ;-)

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:46:25 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
Test paint schmes are a great way to get a figure together. You have the basic paint scheme, try experimenting with modding other parts to fit the need.
Other parts is something I don't have. I can fit all of my custom fodder in one tiny plastic box of Huggies Baby Wipes. And most of it isn't really great fodder. :(

And don't be too down about the dye failure, it happens to the best of us.

We'll ok, it happens to me. ;-) I screwed up and spoiled a few legs myself just this weekend.

The only other dye screw-up I got was MINOR warping on Funskool Tunnel Rat's left thigh, which caused it to crack in the back. A bit of model cement fixed it up good enough.

The sad part is that these STAR Force figures aren't really in production anymore, so finding a new one to work from will take some time (although not much money).  :?
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....